Will a 700mm beat a 600mm in the accuracy department? Fx guns

Ok I have a 600mm impact. The 700mm was only $50 more when buying a whole gun but I choose to go with the 600mm cause at the time I wanted a more compact gun. But after watching many YouTubers videos. I only see folks shooting the 700mm. And they are putting hole in hole at 50 and 100 yards. Really rare to see someone shoot a 600mm. My 600mm gun can't do that. I'm getting like 1inch group at 50 yards and about 2 inches group at 100 yards. So I'm thinking, did I choose the wrong barrel length? Now to upgrade to a 700mm. I have to pay $350 for a complete barrel kit. My goal is power to shoot slugs and accurate to 100 yards and more. Would upgrading to the 700mm will improve my accuracy or are these youtubers, won't name them but you guys know who they are. Are they picking only the best and don't show the whole story. Or is the 700mm just better than the 600mm.

in short,no not necessarily.

i have an impact m3. 25 with a 500mm barrel,
and have no trouble making 50yd groups under a half inch consistently.

but if youre only managing 1 inch groups at 50yds something isnt right.

its either you,or the gun.

are you able to shoot better groups with other guns?

and have you tuned the gun?

pellets going too fast arent going to group well regardless of barrel length.

Reactions: jps2486 and darylm
What if you had a scoped rifle with both a short barrel and a long barrel, and both barrels gave you the exact same velocity with a well stabilized projectile. On an airgun, would the shorter barrel tend to be more accurate or the longer one, and why?

-----You can ignore this long winded stuff below unless you are bored -------or might want to be bored------------

My experience with regular firearms has been that shorter barrels that still work well with the chosen chambering, quite often produce better accuracy than they gave when they were longer. I have no idea if that often applies to airgun barrels or not as I have only shortened one 22 cal airgun barrel, but my guess is, to some extent it does. The one I shortened shot better than it did at full length.

But you usually give up velocity in both, some more than others, though not much with some chamberings. Longer barrels with smaller boiler rooms in powder burners can actually reduce velocity and decrease accuracy. If you are using iron sights and the front sight was at the very end of the barrel each time with the rear sight in the same position as it was shortened, I could see a longer barrel in a firearm or an airgun, that didn't shoot as well as it might if shorter, perform better with the iron sights because of the longer sight radius.

I had an OK shooting .223 Rem heavy barrel Savage with a a good crown on it at 24 inches long. Just for fun after reading the much retold story about the 21 3/4" barrel length thing in the Houston Warehouse, I decided to cut mine to that exact length. I literally chopped it with a hacksaw to just over 21 3/4" then flat filed the crown by hand until it was pretty dang clean, deburred the muzzle to crown corner with a brass lap and fired some groups. It went from around 1 MOA to sub 1/4 MOA with Sierra Match Kings. A fluke? Maybe. Houston Warehouse Magic? That is what I am sticking with. :rolleyes:

It would be fairly difficult to start with a 16" barrel then add an inch until you hit 36" and see if accuracy got better with length, but I have seen longer barrels improve when shortened, many times, yet not once when they were lengthened! 🎯

Last edited:
Hypothetically we have two liners, one 600 and one 700 mm.
You want to shoot a Brand slug per say @ 960 fps or a pellet 870 fps.
The 600mm will need 150 bar pressure and the 700mm will need 135 bar pressure (slugs).
So we go from here.
Way easier to find a proper Dwell timing and fine tune the marginal error at 135 bars vs 150 bars on the Reg.
If you "over power" the Dwell timing the air blast at the muzzle will make the projectile tumbling.
Q: Have you noticed @ 100 yards any of the holes are not perfect round but riped like the pellets/slugs were running sideways?

As the other guys said, you may be able to tune for more velocity, but accuracy is still the same. So if you want to shoot heavier pellets or slugs, that may be for you. My 600 mm Crown is excellent for me. I shoot 25.4 gr slugs at 100 yards at 920 fps. I'm happy. Accuracy is in the hands of the guy pulling the trigger. You are the one that has to make it work.

I got a Maverick with a 600 mm barrel, when i shot it ( MRD pellets ) it was very laser like, but then i got a chrono on it and saw the MRD pellets only did like 570 FPS. ( Hammer wheel at the #7 setting so full power / reg set to the factory 90 BAR )
THAT was of course not cutting it by me though it was very accurate, but i am sure others will agree that MRD pellets should also be very accurate at higher speeds in a .177 rifle.
BUT ! that was simply not the case for me, actually the only pellet i found that would shoot 50 M well, and at a reasonable speed was the JSB Beast pellets
Many other pellets i tried 10 grain and up, just would not work reasonable, even if i did see OK / good shot strings with small deviations in speed.
Then trying 10 and 13 grain JSB KO slugs that was also not really any good.
Actually it was so bad i ordered a new gun ( Vulcan 3 )
I then changed to a 700 mm barrel, and then suddenly my Maverick was fine and shooting at the higher speeds, and shooting sort of OK with a lot more pellets, and it also do quite well at 100 M with 13 and 16 grain slugs.
I have no qualms shooting 70 - 80 M with the MRD pellets today, just never been able to really test those due to shooting so many slugs.

BUT ! the first many months with my Maverick i was not a happy shooter, not while shooting and not after i was done shooting.
I am now and i am not going to sell the Maverick, if anything i might upgrade it to .22 down the road.

With the 600 mm barrel, and the beast pellets i had no problem doing better than 1 inch groups at 50 M / 55 yards i think , also why i have a substantial collection of beast pellets now,,,,, even if i am predominantly shooting slugs now.
I especially still want to shoot the MRD pellets,,,,, and i need to buy some as i only have 1 tin.