Wiley Raccoon is On My Hit List

To start this story with a quick bit of history .

We have had a known Trash Panda for many months, I have tried to play nice with this rat bastard but now it's on!

I 1st attempted to ward him off with the traditional methods of Very expensive peppermint oil spray on and around the trash can, Fail, this simply attracted the wiley beast.

Next Bungee cord the lid shut, Fail #2, the SOB actually learned to unhook the damn bungee's

Step 3, Bought a steel enclosure for the trash cans, my issue solved.. so I thought.....

We have a Bird feeder in our back yard that has been mysteriously emptying out faster than normal, I thougt for sure it was a damn deer butting his head into it because a bunch of the bird food was ending up on the ground the next morning and all the corn was gone....

Not a whole helluva i can do about a deer, but wait the plot thickens. I set up one of my Game Trail Cameras and looky what it caught red handed last night....

This Rat Bastard will be dead Very Soon!

IMG_0893 (2).jpg

IMG_0894.jpg

IMG_0895.jpg

Good luck with getting him, they are #1 on my hit list . Hopefully you will not spend as many hours as I've had waiting for them to show up in the weeeeee late hours to get a shot off. Best to get a alarm system to detect them at the feeder.
Good point, i added a motion detector to cover that area specifically so i know when he has entered the "kill zone" ... This is an old , wise critter, they don't this big by being stupid so I have my work cut out for me for sure....

Reactions: N2 Shooter
Our dog (an Aussie Shepherd) lets us know when a raccoon is near the house. I don't know how she does it, but even if they're just in the neighbour's yard and our house is fully buttoned-up (doors and windows closed), she knows where they are. Amazing hearing.

If they aren't scared away by my dog barking, they don't get scared when I come out with the pellet gun. So it's pretty easy-peasy from there on out.

I'd suggest using a bait of some sort that is difficult (say, too heavy) for them to run off with. If they're still skittish, they probably won't run far when they know your bait is still sitting in your yard, waiting for them.

Peanut butter on a tree stump. They spend a good 15 minutes licking it off, making for an easy dispatch.
It'll work but ants like it too. Peanuts in the shell work and will keep them busy. Here is a raccoon trying to eat some peanuts inside the shell. You an see the already eaten peanut shells around the coons back feet. The coon ate the easy ones on the ground 1st and finally went the the one on the rat trap and got hit with both traps. It took the coon over 6 minutes to eat those peanuts. That should give you plenty of time to get a good shot off.

Reactions: SlimPlinkins
I hadn't had a raccoon in the yard in some time, likely over a year. Last night one came in the yard, and I could hear two others a short distance away.

First raccoon I was a bit wobbly, and it took 3 shots to finally hit an important spot. That raccoon's corpse was enough to bait the 2nd raccoon, later in the night. It was dispatched with a single headshot. The 3rd raccoon bailed. Likely I'll be able to get it tonight.

This was firing JSB Jumbo heavy .22 pellets (18gr) at around 120 bar out of a Leshiy 2.

Good luck. My only raccoon kill was a small one, a little under 8 lbs, that wondered into my yard at 3:30p one afternoon. I took that to be a sign it wasn't healthy and killed it. I used my P35-22 which shoots H&N Baracuda Match 21 grain pellets about 835 fps. First shot into the chest caused it to sit down and hiss at me and my dog. Second shot between the eyes laid it down and my dog shook it. But it was still moving it's mouth so I put another into the neck. Blood spurted out maybe 3 times, I think it's heart was still beating. As a kid I went with an uncle raccoon hunting and he shot them with a 22lr. Often they did not die quickly from one shot. I would use one of my 25s if I see another one. I also think a side shot to the brain is better than between the eyes but I took what I had. They are a lot bigger than rabbits and squirrels and seem more like squirrels in terms of needing a good solid shot for a clean kill. Not much risk of shooting through one with most air rifles. I would not use my ~20 fpe guns on one.