• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Wildcat with an LDC

I just picked up a laminated Wildcat .25 this past week...beautiful gun for sure. (Thanks to pshooter71)

I'm looking to make it as quiet as possible...so I've reached out to Neil Clague.

Any of you Wildcat guys have any feedback you could provide me and more importantly, I'd like to know what it's going to look like with the LDC on it.

Please post some pics if you have them - I've search, however I can not find!! 

Thanks,
Eric

I'm still salty that FX chose to make the US version of the .22 with the shorter shroud when our choice of ldc's in the US is limited.

So I bought one from Neil. Maybe the stackables are just as good, maybe not quite as good or maybe better. I don't care. They already raised the price up $100. Then the picatinny rail is "only" available as an add on and not an option.

If your car came without a radio and they said you could buy a factory one. Even though over seas they get a radio. Would you buy a factory one or get an aftermarket?

NEIL FOR THE WIN.

"Jlands"I'm still salty that FX chose to make the US version of the .22 with the shorter shroud when our choice of ldc's in the US is limited.

So I bought one from Neil. Maybe the stackables are just as good, maybe not quite as good or maybe better. I don't care. They already raised the price up $100. Then the picatinny rail is "only" available as an add on and not an option.

If your car came without a radio and they said you could buy a factory one. Even though over seas they get a radio. Would you buy a factory one or get an aftermarket?

NEIL FOR THE WIN.
Any chance you could make a video? I have the stackable one it seems to work good can almost hear the thud and pellet traveling threw the air more than the actually shot. 

Guys you can never get a true idea from a video or audio of what the gun really sounds like, I have heard my own LDC's on videos and can hardly tell the difference and yet in life the difference is really dramatic. The truth is in how they are perceived by the shooter, not by listening to audio's, watching videos or even looking at the many varied DB ratings. I have them on my web site sent to me from customers who were thrilled with their LDC and yet I can not tell much difference when I watch the videos, they are very deceiving and comparing different videos made by different people using different equipment will be even more deceiving. Neil.

All I can add is I have great neighbors and about 1.5 acres between all of us. I am very sensitive to the fact that my neighbors don't fuss over my air gunning. For this reason I wish to be as quiet as possible. Neil did an LCD for my AirWolf and I really don't think it can be made quieter (awesome work!).

The standard .30 fpe bull-pup Wildcat as configured by FX is too loud to be backyard friendly. I was thinking of Neil, but I wasn't sure if he had done anything for the Wildcat yet (sorry Neil) so went for the FX stackable pack. From a noise standpoint it drops it off by about 80% which makes it very quiet. I'm sure Neil is right there if not slightly better.

I have too say I agree with Neil. I went home last night and let my son record a video on my wife's phone. And it sounded loud. But my gamo cfx is much much louder than my wildcat. Also my son's power line pumper is much louder than my cfx.

The point of my post was to say that no air rifle in 2016 and sold in America, with a price tag more than $500, should be loud.

Especially if the "SAME" rifle is sold overseas for the "SAME" price and quieter.

I won't pay FX extra to get what I should have gotten at first.

Just saying.

Jlands I am sorry but I cant agree with the statement about any air gun costing more than $500 should not be loud. Do you want the factories to spend a lot of money developing something to make the gun quieter for you? If so,either the cost of the gun will go up considerably or you will get less quality in the gun components to compensate for it. Developing something to make a gun quiet can take a lot of R&D and that can cost a firm a lot of money, I would much prefer that they spend the money on giving me an air rifle made with quality components. This is only my personal opinion but for my money I would much rather get a good quality gun for $500 than a quiet gun that is made of less expensive components, all the best, Neil.

I guess I was looking at it like the discovery and the marauder. I'm definitely no expert but just assumed that it would be cheaper for the shroud to be added in the manufacturing process then later. I agree that if i had to improve a gun i bought, I would rather improve the sound of the gun than the gun itself. Especially when I can just by a ldc from you, lol.

I guess I'm still a little pissed on what FX did and I "think" it was on purpose. FX and AOA ..... Well maybe not. Either way we'll never know.

Jlands,

What Neil makes cost labor and material to produce, not the mention the R&D he did to make a fantastic LCD. The FX stackable pack I purchased was expensive but when you see how it is machined it obviously took some serious precise equipment to produce. At first I thought is was plastic because it was so light, but upon inspection it is a high grade of aluminum. Next Impressive thing is you stack however many you want to reduce it to the noise level you are seeking. The first time I installed it I did one stack at a time and each time it became quieter which is a nice option. Whether it is Neil's great LCD's or something else, it takes some engineering and equipment to produce at the same quality as the rifle itself. For this reason if they became part of the rifle it will most defiantly add an additional $150-$200 to an already competitive Bull Pup market.

JMO...

NeilClagueWhat does surprise me though, is that FX shortened the shroud and then made add on sections available, from where I am sitting that looks like an intentional way of making more money, why shorten the shroud and then lengthen it again by adding expensive stack on extensions? Seems like that was intentional. Neil.

That's my main point. Those "well" machined sections obviously cost more than a shroud that's 7 inches longer.
I doubt the longer shroud would have been as efficient as an add-on, but It probably would have suffice and took away the need to buy and extra piece.

JMO

Scott_MCT
.........For this reason if they became part of the rifle it will most defiantly add an additional $150-$200 to an already competitive Bull Pup market.

JMO...

I don't entirely agree.

I wouldn't save money just buying ALL the individual parts from fx and putting the rifle together myself.

Don't get me wrong I absolutely love the gun. But the gun that I seen all over YouTube before it was released in the US is NOT the gun I got. And I think AOA is partly responsible. Their stance on moderators is a joke. Either it's illegal or it's legal. Gluing it to the end of an "air gun" makes no difference. You know how much money criminals would make if all they needed to do to transport illegally made "firearm" suppressors is attach it to a $49 Daisy bb gun.

Jmo

The OP of this thread was asking how to make his US wildcat quieter. The point is he shouldn't have to. I have not seen no one over seas add any extra moderation to their wildcat and they can basically walk across the street and buy an ldc. Yet it much harder for us to get it in the US and FX makes us need one even more so. It we didn't have Neil and a couple of others AOA would sale their stackons and huggets for even more.

Interesting conversation here....

Something for sure changed on the wildcat coming into NA. I had a cricket for a short period of time, it was pretty loud for what I wanted, I also didn't care for the cocking handle so far back. Through this board, I meet a fellow shooter in my area that had a .25 Wildcat. Needless to say, we meet up and did some shooting. I could not get over how quite that gun was...and it was straight from the factory, no upgrades at all. The Wildcat had several features I liked better, so that afternoon I listed my Cricket for sale, sold it and bought a new Wildcat .25.

I received the gun a few days later and was amazed at how loud it was compared to the other Wildcat I shot. After a bit of research and talking to my buddy, I found out his gun was one of the first to come into the country - it had the longer shroud and is quite a bit more quiet than my gun. Have to say - I was pretty pissed. The gun is beautiful, shoot and handles like a dream and now I have to spend more money to make it as quiet as the original Wildcats.

With all that - I contacted Neil about an LDC, I think he probably makes the best device, but his wait time was 4-5 weeks. I was about to put in an order, when I called about some additional mags for the gun, talking to the gentlemen about the mags, I asked about the baffles...low and behold, he had them in stock. Being my gun already has the first and last piece for the factory system...I figured what's another 100.00!!

I should have my baffle sections today or tomorrow. I hope to do some testing with different configurations and also test against my buddies Wildcat. I will report back what I find. If I'm not happy, I will contact Neil about an LDC and sell the FX system online. 

Thanks again for all those that replied back.

eohlin..........Have to say - I was pretty pissed. The gun is beautiful, shoot and handles like a dream and now I have to spend more money to make it as quiet as the original Wildcats.

Sorry I threw a rant on your thread. But I assure you I love my wildcat and am only angry at the producers not the product. What I quoted from you is exactly what has me pissed. But...... I'm still happy with my rifle.