Wildcat Not Grouping Well with 25.4 gr JSB Pellets ...

Nueces

Apr 22, 2016
Tejas
... but cutting one ragged hole at 50 yds with the JSB Heavies.

I probably need to clean the barrel or chrono some shots to see if the 25.4 gr pellets are coming out too fast or maybe there is some clipping causing spiraling. I thought my scope was failing to hold zero as poi seemed to be shifting oddly from one day to another. Changed scopes and still just getting 2 inch groups. Sure makes me feel better to get some accuracy back and find the Hawke scope is not malfunctioning. I was getting pretty depressed and I was missing squirrels.

A friend's WC25 was doing the same and it was found to be clipping the muzzle. Original muzzle hole size for .25 is 7.2mm, increased to 7.5mm and it groups fine.

On my Impact 22 barrel, I had the same issue of clipping on one side of muzzle hole. Hole was slightly off center so had it machined from 6.15mm to 6.35mm. And Impact 25 barrel muzzle hole is just 6.65mm-6.7mm (seems too low, considering WC25 muzzle hole is 7.2mm) .. not taken that to shop to check it properly yet.

"StormSunny"So why there is no clipping with Heavies?
Just guessing but perhaps the clipping is so light that the heavier pellet is not affected. More likely ... there is no clipping. I need to chrono the 25.4 gr pellets to see if they are coming out too fast which is said to cause instability. Or maybe I just need to clean the barrel. Although you would think if the barrel being dirty was the problem just switching to the heavier pellet would not solve the problem. I just do not know.

You can test the centricity like that:

img_20150730_221530~2.jpg

OK, I am now convinced that POI for this gun must be set at least every day. I think it responds to atmospheric pressure, humidity or maybe the alignment of the stars. Probably all three.

I pulled the Hugget and the adapter nut affixing the silencer to the barrel. Cleaned the barrel thoroughly with the looped string method. It was not at all dirty. I tried groups with just the straight-no-moderator barrell and the poi was off 3 inches, groups were about 2 inches at 50 yards. Used 25.4 gr pellets and the heavies. Put the moderator back on. Rezeroed the scope and it stacked pellets again with the heavies.

I bet tomorrow I will have to rezero again.

Over on Argos69 's thread on POI shift I got the idea that perhaps merely transporting my WC in the manner I do may be my problem. I truck it around every day as I do my job here on the ranch and try and sneak up on squirrels as we ( me and the squirrel dog 'Rio' ) go about our other business. Some portions of the roads are pretty rough.

I'be been sticking it barrel down on the floor boards leaning on the passenger seat. I try to handle it gingerly. Don't throw around any of my guns. But having the weight of the gun pretty much all on the barrel may be as we rattle along ... just may be what I've been doing wrong.

So now I'm leaning the seat back way more back and standing the WC on its butt. No real pressure on the barrel or scope.

I'll test this out the next couple days and report back. I've put the Hawke back on it and gone back to the JSB 25.4 pellets.

Well, the new transport position helped. But this gun just WILL lose its POI each day it seems. After one day it was just a half inch off to the right. After two days it was one inch off to the right and a half inch low. After pumping it up just now to 220b it took two more adjustments to get it zeroed. Brought it up 4 clicks ( 50 yd target ) and then the POI moved another half inch to the right. ( ??? ) Once zeroed it stacked five pellets in one ragged hole again.

I just don't get it.

"Nueces"Well, the new transport position helped. But this gun just WILL lose its POI each day it seems. After one day it was just a half inch off to the right. After two days it was one inch off to the right and a half inch low. After pumping it up just now to 220b it took two more adjustments to get it zeroed. Brought it up 4 clicks ( 50 yd target ) and then the POI moved another half inch to the right. ( ??? ) Once zeroed it stacked five pellets in one ragged hole again.

I just don't get it.

lol ... you are describing exactly what's happening here with the Impact and how I feel ... I've given up for now.

Maybe you can send your rifle to Ernest if you don't want to return it for warranty repair?

The POI shift definitely is brought about by jostling the gun. It is better now given I'm transporting it more gently as described above but it still moves. Yesterday after a couple days in the truck it took 6 clicks to the left to bring it to zero at 50 yards. This morning it is still dead on. I mean one hole at 50. This at about 160 bar.

Pumped it up to 210 ... same hole.