• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Wildcat mklll or Mavrick?

So I currently have the Impact M3 in .30 and absolutely love it, but have decided that this is going to be my gun that really does not have to be toted around.
So my question to those of you in the know is if you wanted a gun that you could walk the woods with hunting squirrel and the likes in the .22 bottle version which of the 2 mentioned would you choose and for what reasons? I'm really leaning towards the Wildcat mklll sniper but would like to hear your opinions both educated and just personal preference.
Thanks for your time,
O_H

Wildcat MKIII BT 600mm in the caliber of your choice. The 700mm is more for bench/longer range shooting, but it you can handle the length, go for it. You just can't beat that Wildcat stock.
First thank you for your input as its extremely appreciated,
I was looking for the 600mm barrel as that seemed to be about perfect for pellets and slugs but was seeing it only offered in the VP version which has the aluminum bottle with the lower bar rating, really like the looks of the compact and the numbers are not bad either but don't like the small bottle.

I used my wildcat bt this past season in the woods. A few things I’d like to point out that bothered me VS using the impact. The wildcat safety location and not being able to cock the gun without removing hand from the grip. It made it slower for me to do a quick follow up shot. With the impact I can cycle another round in without taking my hands off the grip. Also the safety allows for a quick off and on while maintaining hand grip. The wildcat was more comfortable walking around since it has a smooth surface but that’s about it.

Edit: I misread read the title. Lol

Last edited:
I used my wildcat bt this past season in the woods. A few things I’d like to point out that bothered me VS using the impact. The wildcat safety location and not being able to cock the gun without removing hand from the grip. It made it slower for me to do a quick follow up shot. With the impact I can cycle another round in without taking my hands off the grip. Also the safety allows for a quick off and on while maintaining hand grip. The wildcat was more comfortable walking around since it has a smooth surface but that’s about it.

Edit: I misread read the title. Lol
So what's your decision on which you'll use more?

I am going through some of the same mental gyrations now on which gun I want to own next, because I have to make it the last one. ( I already own an FX Crown Continuum with .25, .22. and 177 barrels and an electronic .22 Air Wolf Daystate, so I am satisfied with owning those two premium brands which fill their roles.) Nevertheless, I am falling deeper and deeper down the rabbit hole and I can't get out. That said, of the two guns you mention which allow you to "walk the woods with hunting squirrel and the likes" . . . the Mk III Compact, with the 230cc tube and 60-65 regulated shots in .22 seems like the lightest and most comfortable walking around hunting gun to me, compared to the bottle guns you mentioned. You stated you don't need to tote your .30 cal Impact in order for it to fill its purpose for you, so it would seem to me the perfect small game hunter would be the most accurate, lightest, and fastest pointing FX gun which would be the Compact. Sure, you can get a bottle on the Compact (add $250) but why for the stated purpose? The Sniper is another $400 with a longer barrel and slightly heavier. (Personally I would be comparing the Sniper to the Impact for my own purposes, but my Crown fills that roll.) You have opened up an interesting can of worms for me with your reasoning. Now I am homing in on what I really need next . . . an FX Wildcat MkIII Compact or (for $200 less) the Brocock/BRK Compatto XR Huma Regulated .22 . . . decisions, decisions! 🍻 (BTW, I would also throw out to you the FX Bobcat MkII as well as the KaliberGun Argus 45W, as well as the Crickett 2 WSA 45

1679714688736.png

1679715591563.png

Last edited:
I have never used a Wildcat but lots of fans. I have a Maverick Compact and it will be a cold day in hell before I get rid of it. Great walk around gun but now have fitted it with a sling and it is irreplaceable as a walk and stalk gun. I tried to make it shoot slugs and it did OK but it shines with pellets.
You wont go wrong with either gun.

Reactions: orangeokie
Thank you to everyone, what I was hoping for was you all to make a hard decision a whole lot easier and in actuality my decision has become a lot more difficult. There are a ton of great guns out now a days but I've focused on FX because that is the brand that I'm most versed in, but by NO means proficient or an expert so I appreciate everyone's input
Thanks again,
O_H

Reactions: orangeokie
I think a larger bottle can be fitted on the compact- I am looking at fitting a 700 cc bottle but have not gotten around to mocking it up yet.

It may take away the “compact” though
My bottle is a bit longer than the barrel, fitting a Mod, sort of, getting the right mod in it to fit was interesting, I wound up with a Koi, The thing is still not light. If I were planning on lugging it, I'd use a smaller bottle and carry one in a back pack, not that you'll need it. You'll get plenty of shots out of a smaller one...unless you miss a lot.

Compact.jpg

Wildcat MKIII Sniper .22 700mm bbl, with Vector Veyron 3-12x44 compact scope. Not BT version. Way more air needed than necessary for a day of legal bag limit squirrel hunting here in Ohio.
Has Magpul picatinny sling loop on pic rail for single point sling. Very easy, comfortable cary in the woods.
A laser with 18.13 JSB pellets.
Picture was taken when I was using Element Helix scope at the time.

FFA64DE0-52E4-4DB6-995E-5B940A9445DD.jpeg

Don’t think you can go wrong with either. I think it just comes down to personal aesthetic preferences as far as a stock vs chassis. For walking around the woods for squirrels I would really reconsider the compact form. I have the Maverick compact in 25 and it is a great walk around gun as it is small and light. Mine shooting 25.39 pellets at 900 fps gets 50 shots off that small bottle. In 22 if you shoot a slightly lighter projectile will give you even more shots. Plenty for hunting.

Reactions: addison
I have owned a maverick compact and a wildcat mk2. The wildcat definitely had the better ergonomics, but that model year was lacking on power. The mk3 had a little more power, but the BT came out, and with its huge power plenum, and similar setup to the maverick, it will shoot both pellets and slugs easily. If you’re walking around, I think the wildcat stock will suit you better, but at that point, it’s preference. There’s a lot of guys walking around with their Mavericks and impacts too.

First thank you for your input as its extremely appreciated,
I was looking for the 600mm barrel as that seemed to be about perfect for pellets and slugs but was seeing it only offered in the VP version which has the aluminum bottle with the lower bar rating, really like the looks of the compact and the numbers are not bad either but don't like the small bottle.
Yes, the 600mm Wildcat MKIII BT is only available in the VP. Mine is a .30. I bought it and swapped the metal bottle for a carbon fiber 480cc. The WIldcat MKIII BT is much better than the tube version IF you want the option to sling heavier slugs. More air, more plenum, more power., and a little more, but not much more weight. As for the Impact M3 vs the Wildcat, for woods walking the Wildcat wins hands down, for the ergonomics of the stock. Not sure how much you put the safety on/off, but a non issue for me and many others. We don't even use the safety. When you cock the gun always shoot the pellet-no problem. I have an Impact M3 .25 600mm but rarely shoot it. Why choose?

Don’t think you can go wrong with either. I think it just comes down to personal aesthetic preferences as far as a stock vs chassis. For walking around the woods for squirrels I would really reconsider the compact form. I have the Maverick compact in 25 and it is a great walk around gun as it is small and light. Mine shooting 25.39 pellets at 900 fps gets 50 shots off that small bottle. In 22 if you shoot a slightly lighter projectile will give you even more shots. Plenty for hunting.
I seriously looked at the compact in both the Mavrick and Wildcat but am thinking this gun is going to be my more all around gun for both pellets and slugs and figured it would be nice to send a few slugs long range on occasion.

Reactions: addison
This is almost a No Brainer.. Wildcat BT 100% Technically since both guns are built from the same platform the only "Real Difference" is ergonomic. The Maverick chassis is so close in design to an Impact that you should be asking yourself "Impact or Wildcat MK3 BT?" For a lighter, more ergonomic woods walker the Wildcat BT is hands down the better choice. I own two WC BT's and four Impacts. My "Go To" .22 shooting 14g to 18g pellets is my custom Wildcat BT 380mm Compact w/Hugget moderator. Shown with a Huggett Snipe and 480cc CF Bottle. Less than 24" inches if I run a Huggett Atom and 380cc bottle

20230312_143845.jpg

Last edited: