FX Wildcat Mk3 + H&N Mk2 slugs = Magic

I've been round and round trying to find a slug that would shoot well in my Wildcat MK3 BT Compact. I've tried at least a dozen different slugs of varying brands, diameters and weights but never got the accuracy I was wanting; until yesterday. I tried the H&N HP2 slugs, 0.218" diameter, 25 grain weight. At 50 yards outside on a calm day I was consistently hitting the 1/4" square bullseye on my targets. Groups were consistently 1/2 MOA or better. This is twice the precision (half the group size) of any other slug I've tried. When I got home I ordered a dozen tins.
I'll have to work out my ballistic drop vs distance chart, then any small game or pest inside 50 yards is in serious jeopardy!

I've been round and round trying to find a slug that would shoot well in my Wildcat MK3 BT Compact. I've tried at least a dozen different slugs of varying brands, diameters and weights but never got the accuracy I was wanting; until yesterday. I tried the H&N HP2 slugs, 0.218" diameter, 25 grain weight. At 50 yards outside on a calm day I was consistently hitting the 1/4" square bullseye on my targets. Groups were consistently 1/2 MOA or better. This is twice the precision (half the group size) of any other slug I've tried. When I got home I ordered a dozen tins.
I'll have to work out my ballistic drop vs distance chart, then any small game or pest inside 50 yards is in serious jeopardy!
What velocity were you shooting them at? My wife is hellbent on a lighter gun but she also insists on slugs. So the Wildcat was an early contender. I am just a bit nervous about how it will shoot slugs.

I can concur. With my Maverick(essentially Wildcat in different chassis) the H&N HPll 25gr, 27gr and 30gr .218 are hole in hole at 40m(44yds). I shoot the 27gr @1000 fps, the 30gr @ 975 fps. ZAN are good, Javelin are OK, but nothing comes close to those H&N sluggies in my Maverick. I use the Superior liner, I have a heavy liner, but the Superior is so good I do not want to swop it out. 2nd reg at 132bar, 700mm barrel.

Reactions: nb28
I stumbled onto the HN .218s in both 25 and 27gr yesterday during my own testing. They seem to have a LOT of promise. It has been a long road trying to find any slug that performs from my BT MK3, out of either the 500mm or 600mm superior liner. Like you, a few seemed to hold some promise (the NSA 20.2gr for example, and the JSB KO's) but never with enough consistency to buy in bulk. Basically, if they can't compete at 50yds with my CZ 457 in 17HMR, they aren't good enough in my opinion. I think these HN's may be able to do that!

What barrel length are you using? I have also found that 930ish seems to be the sweet spot for velocity, out of the 600mm liner at least. Curious if you are using a different length.

Also - I noticed that .218 seems to be most commonly referenced both here and on other sites (YouTube). Is this common knowledge?

What's the difference between the HP and the HP2 . Hatsan USA has them for 14.99 but they are not the HP2s . Are the older HP 25g slugs accurate ?

To the above asking about .218 that's your chamber size . My FX likes .218 and my Taipan likes .216 .
HP 2 are made with softer lead, deeper hollow point, expand easily. Older version are hard, penetrate well but with much less expansion.

Both shoot equally good in my Maverick.

IMHO older version for shooting gongs etc. and HP 2 for hunting, unless shooting tough critter's then maybe use older hard version for more deeper penetration.

What's the difference between the HP and the HP2 . Hatsan USA has them for 14.99 but they are not the HP2s . Are the older HP 25g slugs accurate ?

To the above asking about .218 that's your chamber size . My FX likes .218 and my Taipan likes .216 .
Sorry, my post was unclear. I’m tracking what .218 references, I meant to say that that particular diameter seems to be mentioned the most online as playing well with FX liners, and I was curious if anyone shoots smaller diameter slugs well out of FX guns.

I stumbled onto the HN .218s in both 25 and 27gr yesterday during my own testing. They seem to have a LOT of promise. It has been a long road trying to find any slug that performs from my BT MK3, out of either the 500mm or 600mm superior liner. Like you, a few seemed to hold some promise (the NSA 20.2gr for example, and the JSB KO's) but never with enough consistency to buy in bulk. Basically, if they can't compete at 50yds with my CZ 457 in 17HMR, they aren't good enough in my opinion. I think these HN's may be able to do that!

What barrel length are you using? I have also found that 930ish seems to be the sweet spot for velocity, out of the 600mm liner at least. Curious if you are using a different length.

Also - I noticed that .218 seems to be most commonly referenced both here and on other sites (YouTube). Is this common knowledge?
I've got the compact with the 500 mm long barrel.

I have tried H&N hp2 in my Impact with great success also, (.217 27gr)