• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Wildcat mk3 bt compact 30cal question

I have a 30cal wildcat mk3 bt compact. I'm shooting Nielsen 47.2gr slugs at 851 fps. Is this to slow? For slugs, it is pretty accurate!
What yardage are you shooting at? Stock liner? Show some groupings. If its accurate and will work for your intended purpose than I see no reason to think its too slow. I just got a wildcat bt compact .30 and cant wait to try it.

I'm shooting at 35-40 yards and it's going in the same hole. This picture is 15 shots

Screenshot_20230411-101432_Instagram.jpg

Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
I'm shooting at 35-40 yards and it's going in the same hole. This picture is 15 shots

View attachment 347450
Don't mess with it, shoot it at that speed at distance before playing with it.

My uragan 30 shot jsb knock out 50.15 slugs at 860 fps and would do MOA at 100 yards like that.

Also, bone stock rifle? standard liner?

Reactions: hushpuppy
Don't mess with it, shoot it at that speed at distance before playing with it.

My uragan 30 shot jsb knock out 50.15 slugs at 860 fps and would do MOA at 100 yards like that.

Also, bone stock rifle? standard liner?
Very little reason to shoot slugs over pellets with that tube

Unless it really holding up at 150-200y

Long range shooting get easiest as the shot curve is flattened.
Also…slug knock down is much better, because of expansion.
All of that means nothing if the rifle is not accurate at that speed?

I understand that flatter trajectory is better, as long as accuracy and consistency is there.
I understand slug knock down will be better with more transferred energy, again as long as accuracy and consistency is there....

To blatantly just throw out a random number of 960-970 fps without knowing any other variables is just silly.

Experience? I've shot well over 1000 of those exact NSA slugs through multiple FX guns. They are highly accurate with the 1.22 twist on the standard liner around those speeds.
Every rifle is different, reg setting, hammer spring, etc all play a role in accuracy. His hole in hole group at 40 yards looks great, would love to see if it opens up at range before messing with any settings.

Nobody had even seen a group in the thread before a statement like "would probably be a lot more accurate at...." was thrown out.

Every rifle is different, reg setting, hammer spring, etc all play a role in accuracy. His hole in hole group at 40 yards looks great, would love to see if it opens up at range before messing with any settings.

Nobody had even seen a group in the thread before a statement like "would probably be a lot more accurate at...." was thrown out.
My red rider bb gun shoots hole in hole at 40 yards, doesn't mean it's accurate. Most NSA slugs like to go 950-1000FPS through FX products from my experience as well.

Reactions: TwoLoe88
My red rider bb gun shoots hole in hole at 40 yards, doesn't mean it's accurate.

Actually, 1) if you can show me that I'd be really impressed. 2) that does mean its accurate at 40 yards. 3) its all relative and without anything to go buy nobody can truly comment that his rifle would be better at x y or z without first seeing how it does in its current state at a longer distance.

This is what kept me from buying another FX product because FX guys know every and all things.

He also asked a very open question, is this too slow? too slow for what?

Good grief. Anyways, I am outta here,

I say shoot it as is and see if it makes you happy and holds accuracy out at range, if not adjust it!

Can i get that out of the box with no modifications?
Or should I switch to pellets?
That gun should have come with a 13-gram hammer weight and should be able to do 950-970 out of the box. 47.2 are not that heavy of a slug. If you were to shoot those at 100 yards you'd probably have a 2 or 3-inch group at 850FPS with some of them destabilizing.

• Haha
Wait, one more thing, the difference between 860 fps and 960 fps with that length and bc is marginal. When building a rifle you build it around the bullet and things like this are very important.

And on a compact youre making a lot more use out of your air which to me is important :) Have a good day gentleman

Resized_20230411_110624.jpeg

Resized_20230411_110636.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: madeintheuk
Lots of numbers being thrown around here without any proof to back them up. Blanket statements are useless without proof.

Show me better accuracy at 950-970
Show me groups at 100 at 850fps
Show me tune of rifle and settings for that combination.

Slugs can be extremely accurate at lower speeds. It’s about stabilization more than speed. Some rifles need to push them fast to get it. Others don’t. The proof is in testing.