Tuning Wildcat/Maverick Probe Adjustment

Sorry, but I can't seem to find a good reference for how to adjust the probe alignment. On both my Maverick and Wildcat when the bolt is closed the probes are too far out of the transfer port. When out of the rifle, if I align the transfer holes in the pellet probe and transfer port, mark the probe, and reinstall, the probe is not fully aligned with the hole in transfer port. I need to get the probe to seat further into the transfer port. I've tried to move the connection point between the cocking lever and cocking rod by resetting the two set set screws that hold it in place. I can get the probe to align properly when closed, but I can't cock the rifle. It appears the hammer is not pulled back enough to engage the sear. The side mount (with the set screws) contacts.the rear barrel support before sear grabs. The cocking rod is threaded into the probe carrier and by turning the rod you can change the relative distance of the probe from the connection to the cocking lever, but still can't find a position where the probe is seated properly when closed and still cocks. I hope this is clear and there's a relative easy tuning solution that will enable a less restricted air path between the transfer port and the probe. Thanks.

It should be 28.55 to 28.8mm from the rear of the block. Here is an image I saved (source unknown) as a guide.

Wildcat Probe Depth.1628207749.JPG

Thanks for the reply, but I'm not quite sure I'm understand. I've got the probe where I want it when the bolt is closed, so the holes in the probe and transfer port line up. The problem I'm experiencing is that appears to be too far forward to the get the hammer to engage the sear when cocking. The side mount hits against the rear barrel mount and prevents the hammer from being pulled back further. 

Much appreciated. Here are my observations...

I've marked the probe at the position where the probe and transfer port holes are in perfect (visual) alignment. Then reassembled everything, here's what it looks like.

Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 6.58.46 AM.1628251429.png

The measurement from the back of the probe to the back edge of the breech block is 34.15 mm. If that distance is set at 33.00 mm looks like this, no surprise.

Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 6.59.18 AM.1628251533.png

FYI, this is the way both rifles came from the factory. So, I'm assuming it's correct, but wondering why the holes for the air path in the probe and transfer port would be offset by a mm or so. Still learning, so appreciate the education.

[edit] Forgot to restate the problem statement. At the aligned setting of 34.15 mm the rifle doesn't cock. Seems as if the hammer isn't pulled back far enough.

Do you have a Wildcat MK2 or MK3? Try decreasing the tension on the hammer spring adjustment.

FX Wildcat MKIII Disassembly - FX Masterclass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2iSvHwjGXs

FX Wildcat MKIII Reassembly - FX Masterclass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ4i0pIT1KM

FX Wildcat MKIII High Power Tuning - FX Airguns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-xWCqGO88M

MK3.

I don't think this is a hammer spring tension problem. I backed it way off to no avail. The issue seems to be the hammer isn't being pulled back far enough to catch, as opposed to too much tension to be held. The 33 mm spec seems to be just right to get the hammer/sear to catch, but then the probe is engaged short of the holes in the transfer port. FYI, the rifles function fine as they were delivered, just curious why the spec has the air path restricted by the overlap in the ports.

On the Wildcat:

It's likely that the two clamps holding the assembly in position are slightly out of alignment (these clamps are on the 'tank' portion). Loosen them enough to allow lateral movement and when the mark is hit tighten it down.

A pretty common issue and something that you might not think of. If you have adjusted the trigger rod, you may need to go back to factory setting.

mike

Thank for chiming in Mike. The distance between the shoulder of the breech and the rear tube/scope mount was 74.28 mm from the factory. I've tried positions from 73.5 to 75.0 in 0.5 mm increments and there is no position I can find in which the probe can be inserted fully when closed and still cock, appropriately engaging the hammer and sear. Lengthening that distance will allow the probe and transfer port to be aligned, but when cocking the hammer isn't pulled back far enough to be caught by the sear. Best I can do is setting breech to mount distance to 75 mm and with the cocking lever loosened, pressing the probe in to about 1 mm from perfect alignment and locking it down to the reloading rod with the two set screws. Performance is fine, just bothered by not being able to get this air transfer holes to align. I'm sure its user error as I'm not first to set and mark the ideal position visually and then tune the various mechanisms to it. For whatever reason that balance has been illusive. 

There are likely a lot more mk3 and Mavericks out there with the exact same thing going on. People just haven't dug deep enough to notice, since their guns are shooting well. The best solution is the slug kit probe from the Maverick. It will let you adjust the probe length. My solution was to get everything set where the gun was cocking properly, then I made a new probe that is as long as possible while allowing magazine clearance when cocked. Of course that is with a pin probe, but the same could be done with the standard type probe. Actually, the Huma probe may be worth a try for ya, now that they have their own pellet probes for sale. Something tells me they probably made theirs 1-2mm longer than factory probes. After all, that is essentially what the problem boils down to, imo :)

Thanks for offering your perspective. I'm new to the hobby and simply making observations that I presume are a result of some error or misunderstanding on my part. However this one seems built-in by design, that I'm not sure can be tuned out. Essentially the distance between the probe transfer hole and the catch on the hammer for the sear is fixed. You can move the probe forward and backwards to a degree, but that is done with a proportional change in the position of the hammer when cocked, so when the probe is properly aligned (when breech is closed) the hammer won't be pulled back far enough to catch the sear. These mechanisms in the Wildcat MK3 and Maverick appear to be the same and can only get close, but maybe that's good enough. I just find it to be a curious design, assuming there was a reason, but not obvious to me. The M3 has a different mechanism and ability to adjust the probe to align properly. I agree with your proposal to use a pin probe, or extend the front of the hole in the pellet probe. 

Hi marl3y. I received my fx maverick sniper 30 cal 3rd week of june 2021. I have exactly the same situation with the cylinder probe not aligning perfectly with the transfer port. I did the same thing as you to try to get them to align just right, but with no luck. The misalignment of the transfer port hole with the probe is only off by a tiny bit, but it is still off enough to go to my list of stuff that bugs me. I ordered the huma pin probe from trenier outdoors and hopefully that will give me the max air flow through the breach. I'll install the new probe in a few days and hopefully I will remember to report back here to let you know how it goes. Mainly I just wanted to tell you that you are not the only one with this issue and it appears to be "normal?".

Thank you kindly for contributing to the thread, I suspect all owners of these rifles will benefit from this discussion. My Wildcat is back at FX USA for a second time (primarily for POI offset, not this issue). The first time I had it returned to me the probe was backed out again to the factory position. It appears there is some spec they are conforming to but it still results in misalignment. My fear is there is no achievable position where the ports align and the rifles can cock. Probably not the end of the world, but it is either a strange design decision or an oversight. Please report back on how the adjustable pin probe works. It should solve this issue, but potentially introduces another variable that needs to be considered when mixing ammo. Thanks again.

Not sure I'm sure what you're advising. The pellet probe set screw doesn't really allow for adjustment. Yes, this screw can be accessed. I used a fine tip Sharpie for good visibly on the posted images. For sure a more finely scribed line would allow for the most precise alignment, but you can even really get the alignment close and still cock the rifle.