Wildcat Issues

Thanks Scott, I am going to look at my mag indexer to see if I can smooth it down a wee bit. Thanks also fo rth ecleaning and barrel removal instructions. Corky, I go th Hawke High mounts, 11mm for my 30mm Sidewinder TAC 30. The high mounts seem to be the right fit for me. I didnt notice the rail was reversible, it may come in handy with camera mounts. Not sure if it has the length. It may need the extra rail for accessories. Not quite at that point yet, just enjoying shooting this rifle at the moment.

Duffy70 hello.

I am in Mangonui and have a deposit on a .25 wildcat that is sitting at young's waiting for me.

Bit worried about the problems people are having with the product, how is yours shaking out in terms of your comfort level with the price etc ?

My worry is that we are so far from the manufacturer should something go wrong in any big way and it has to go back.

It's a huge spend for a toy after all.

Would you do it again?

Cheers.

Hi PoorshotIt is never easy parting with that kind of money and I expected great things. I am not disappointed with the rifle, the 'issues' have not been major, that being said I may have a slow leak too!
I sold a couple of PCPs and various other related things to get the money, or most of it for this. I did look at an AA 510 and 410 TDR. Or going for a Benj Maruader again and a Disco for the boy, all of which were cheaper than this one. I still went FX. My first new 'high end' PCP and I hope that it will be the one I pass down to my boy when I go for an upgrade. If I had the cash I would probably get the .25 too. I had my name on a .25 waiting to see if someone cancelled on a .22. For me the .25 was too much rifle for my needs, rabbits and possums etc. If I had the cash the.25 would be my goat gun and longer range varmint rifle. 2000 pellets for the price of 500 .22LR. That being said I may have been a wee bit rash in only getting the 18gr. Lesson learned, buy the lighter JSB’s too. I think the .25 you may have a choice of 3 weights in JSB? Ted (Teds Holdover) has gone super heavy I think. So yes I would do it again but ask me in 3 years. I expect this rifle to last a life time, not only my lifetime but my boys. I have the same expectation of my CZ .22 and the Winchester 12 gauge, all if I do my job in care and maintenance. These guns were a third of the price. If I shoot it enough it may balance out! I think we would be covered under warranty and Ron is very good at what he does so…for stuff that needs to be fixed and can be done here he is the man. Major things that needs parts, it shouldn’t take that long to get them here, just time without the rifle is the issue. I fitted regs, did a full service, O-rings etc. and tuned my last two PCP's. I don’t want to do that with this but it is all doable What are you looking to use the .25 for? For me it was also a cost concern with ammo on the .25 but still cheaper than a .223 for ammo. Cheers Craig

Yeah the gun just ticks all the boxes for me in theory in terms of size regulated weight etc.
In truth I don't need a mag but that's how it comes.
I shoot a bunch round my place and have some space.
I shoot possums a lot.
I am going from a gamo .22 igt to this and gave up my powder burners years ago.
I want to just own the one gun and like the idea of the larger calibre that is still not to out there for pellets price wise.
I like pellet being a bit more stable due to it's weight than the .22 although I know it is overkill for most of what I shoot.
Targets and pest birds in the main.
Seems that fx do follow through on support which is good.
I remain excited and cannot bring myself to cancel my order, because this is the gun that got me fired up to go pcp in the first place.
I think after the gamo it might seem very very good indeed......

Me again. Info I sent Johan at FX. I have had my FX Wildcat .22 for around 14 days. I have had a few issues but this one is, in my mind, major. I have gone from Chrony results AV 901 ES 18 SD 4 to AV 380 ES 48 SD 13. This is with the same 200bar full and same pellet.
I started an accuracy test with 3 shots @12 yds, 4 shots @ 25 yds and moved out to 50 yds with my last shot in the mag. It didn't make paper. 2 more mags after a refil, I was hoping it would help but no improvement.
out comes the ProChrono. With the above results.
I am hoping for a simple explanation and not to have to return the rifle to be fixed.
Johan can you please offer some advice?
2nd email
An update on the power drop issue, see all issues below. 
I completed a dry fire empty as advised by retailer, sub 50bar, and this appeared to correct the low power issue. I have now fired two magazines through the rifle. The first appeared to be good, I was using a lighter pellet so my POI was not where it should be with heavier pellet. I then retested with my 'sighted' pellet and these all fell short of mark and continued to drop in power, each shot lower than the last. I did not wish to Chrono these now as I do not have time but suffice to say the issue still exists.
There is no leak evident and the gauge is holding a steady 200 bar. I had hope this might be a simple airlock and 'bleeding'o fhte air would fix it. My first few shots lended to this theory but it is obviously not the case.
His prompt response, within 24 hours, with the time difference from NZ - UKHello Craig,
It sounds as if your barrel is misaligned with the transfer port in the breech block, and it also sounds as if your reg is acting out.
Please start by checking the transferport, it’s under a grubscrew that is located under the fron cheek rest.
There is a dot on the barrelinlet that is supposed to look right at you.
When you tighten the grubscrew again make sure to tighten it but not hard enough to dent the bras.
If the transferport is aligned and the problems persist please contact me again.
Best regards JohanI have since gone back to him as the issue still exists. I will post this on the manufacturers page too. During my dry firing the pin on the cocking lever fell out...I was very happy I was at home an indoors when this happened and not in the field. I have also posted info on my mag popping out using lighter pellets. After thought it my be skirt size that is causing this issue but it is still something else to add to the ever growing list. My retailer, Young's in Auckland, New Zealand, has been kept informed too. I want to love this rifle but I am having a hard time at the moment. It is now a very expensive safe ornament.
Craig

No I am not going to Auckland for a couple of weeks so just put a deposit down and he is prepared to hold for up to a month.Will go get it soon but will wait and see what happens with your deal first…….I am sorry for your hassle, you must be bummed.In terms of my purchase it does concern me for sure!It also occurs to me to back away and let you have the .25 if you want but I am sure in love with the idea of the thing…

"RMORRIS"I took your advice Wsx1 and ordered a couple tins of JSB Heavies. I wonder why Ted has not done a review on the Wildcat. Maybe linsfreak will chime in. I wishI would have read his opinion on the wildcat before I bought one... I would probably have a Cricket like my brothers, that thing is a Lazer. Linsfreak did you ever get a chance to shoot the "rubber gun" before it broke?
Only problem I have with shooting the JSB heavies is the dramatic drop in velocity and most important the increased loopy trajectory.One of the main reasons I bought this gun was it shoots 25 grain

pellets at the velocity I feel is ideal or nearly so.
Still waiting for my Wildcat 25 to come back from AOA, sent it back Nov
5, so I'll just have to wait and see if they fixed accuracy issue.

I was contacted by FX to have my gun repaired at my retailer. The gun was already on its way to be replaced, hoping this is still the outcome as it will be faster. Great service from Youngs and FX, Johan.
I would like to have the gun returned to youngs and then we can send them a care package for the gun and make certain that the gun functions properly so that you can experience the wildcat as it should be! And I hope this initial impression of it won’t impact your thoughts on the Wildcat overall.

I’m very sorry for the inconvenience. I believe that they will be able to fix it accordingly and that you will be very pleased with the gun once you get it back.

Best regards Johan

Hi Poorshot,
I am at about 10 magazines and all is well. It seems to like the 18gr, which is a blessing! I have shot 3 rabbits and a hare, plus a couple of Mynah with it. I have the same issue with the trigger, this time both the front and back linkages have popped out. It is not a major but there is some extra movement, sometimes, when I engage the trigger. If I was a target shooter it would be an issue as I generally have to release the first stage to get the right 'feel' to take the shot. I am loathe to start playing around with the trigger but it may be on the cards. 
I did a quick fire chrono test at 15, 25 and 50 yards. So this is not an accuracy test by any means but 15 yrds 3 shots one oversized pellet hole. 25 yards sub 1/4 inch, 8 shot 'one' ragged hole and 50 yards, around 4 mags in a 1-1/2 inch hole with around 4 flyers. I still need to do a proper accuracy test and another chrono as I had some that weren't picked up and a couple of air shots. I still can’t believe I need to count shots. I feel both the BSA and the Benj mag's, for knowing where you were at with yours shots, just outstrip the FX. I will post a 'review' when I can. Cheers

I was hoping you would get a "cracker" out of the box.

It occurs to me that going on what Johan said you may be able to ultimately get your original gun back repaired with the upgrades installed?

I wonder if they include a linkage mod and what it looks like?

Perhaps give Ron a call down the track and see what Johan sent him in terms of upgrades.

Sounds like you are doing better by miles this time round and the local pests are getting beat up.

I would say I am happy, so far but I have been here before. it would be interesting to see what was going to put 'fixed' on the other gun but I won't see it. It was a straight up swap so no chance of seeing these things after the care package has been sent.
I would like a redesign on the trigger mechanism in Wildcat mk2, at least an improvement on materials or a proper connection i.e. a screw or nut bolt. It is just a small pin pushed through but it is not long enough to get to the other side with any chance of holding position.
A hare ran down the wrong drive yesterday morning! I have a new permission to an orchard at the end of my driveway with lots of rabbits on it! I do a lot of Kiwi predator control so the meat is going to good use. A great cause for our national bird. It does take a lot of time, effort and expensive toys to do it!

Got my Wildcat 25 back from AOA yesterday afternoon. Can't wait to shoot it. They indicated they adjusted trigger for excessive long first stage, and lightened the second stage. Feels great now.
They also tuned for 50 yd accuracy.
Found time to do a chrony run in the basement today. Gun had about 212 bar in it so I started there and shot it down untill it fell off the regulator at about 144 bar. Extreme spread was 8 fps, average velocity is now 877 fps? If I fill to 220 bar I will get a little over 45 shots per fill which is the same as before. When I got gun new the average velocity was 910 fps, both of these figures were with jsb 18 gr pellets. Hate to lose the velocity, just hope accuracy is there when I get to the range.
Ordered some 34 gr jsb' but looks like velocity will be pretty low, hopefully the 25.4 gr. Pellets will now be accurate.
Was hopeing the Wildcat would be a bit faster for flatter trejectory to go along with its lighter weight for hunting. Looks like my 25 Cricket at 956 fps with 25.4 gr. Jsb,s definately outperforms the wildcat, too bad it weighs 12 pounds with hawk 6x20 x42, , picitiny under rail and 4 loaded mags.