• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

'Wildcat Club' gets a new member

The bullpups start to grow on you after a while. I evolved from, "damn those are ugly" to "that looks sorta cool". I researched different ones and finally settled on the model that spoke to me. Yes, I know most of the quirks ( I think). I'm under no illusions and prepared to deal with it since to me, airguns are a bit like motorcycles... certain ones just get your blood flowing.

I originally ordered the 'warcat' but realized I didn't really need a .25 so ended up changing to Wildcat mk2 .22, typhon dip and added the stx barrel thus making it a 'chocat'. Get it...? chohan/chocat... ok, nevermind. Cleaned the stx barrel and installed first thing, checked pellet probe depth, checked mag indexing, checked and marked the HST adjustment screw (mine is brass?) and adjusted the trigger since I could barely feel the second stage in mine. Dressed her out with SWFA fixed, Mag holders from Matt247365 (thanks Matt), and Tatsu from DonnyFL (cheers Donny). After initial scope zeroing, and firing a few groups of JSB 18gr, it seems to be a shooter. Just difficult for me to get the butt stock at the level I want on the rear bag (I shoot down a slight incline) compared to the Regal. The groups looked good at 50yd which is encouraging but admittedly I didn't shoot long due to hot/humid weather here and the wind picked up by the time I finished all of the above and got the scope mounted and zeroed so my plan is to be out first thing tomorrow morning for perfect and cooler conditions. Also I'm still waiting on my chronograph.

So obligatory pic:

1534299139_19325712335b738c03b72d56.27697570_Wildcat_mk2.png

I'm keeping it close to the Regal in the hope they'll breed bullpups with walnut stocks.

cheers

chohan, there certainly is a strong argument for the WC .22 with a DonnyFL TATSU. Lighter and shorter than the .25. I kinda went the opposite direction. I went with the .25 Mk1 version with a DonnyFL EMPEROR (shooting Hunter Extremes), because I want all the edge I can get against those wascally wabbits! But, at this point, it's really just do you think the WC (and DonnyFL) are great or the greatest?!

chohan, there certainly is a strong argument for the WC .22 with a DonnyFL TATSU. Lighter and shorter than the .25. I kinda went the opposite direction. I went with the .25 Mk1 version with a DonnyFL EMPEROR (shooting Hunter Extremes), because I want all the edge I can get against those wascally wabbits! But, at this point, it's really just do you think the WC (and DonnyFL) are great or the greatest?!

Yeah, when I first shot the WC without the tatsu I couldn't believe how loud it was. But that was because I'm accustomed to the regal/koi combo plus I shoot off my back patio very close to the house which probably amplifies any sound. With the tatsu mounted, the difference is amazing.

I hear you on the .25 WC for pesting/hunting. In my case, it's mainly shooting for groups and the occasional naughty squirrel or crow bullying my birds so .22 is sufficient and I already have beaucoup types/weights of pellets that I can't wait to test. Between the smooth twist and the stx barrels, should be good times. cheers

My friend brought his stock MK1 WC .25 over this week to do some scope sighting and doping at ranges from 15 to 100 yards. I shot it myself and immediately noticed that it took about 3 times the effort to cock the side lever than my .25 impact. (very stiff and not smooth at all). Also the cocking lever hangs up about 3-4 times per magazine fill, (won't load a pellet). You have to fiddle with the mag; pull it out/put it back in, to get things to line up apparently. The mag will spin in both directions without catching or indexing, which seems strange. Otherwise we got decent 5-shot groups...about 3/8" at 30 yards inside my shop. Both guns are stock and sound about the same...plenty quiet for me. The other things I really did not like about the WC is that the Mags are way too small, only 8 shots, vs 16 on my Impact and when the WC mag is empty it continues to shoot on empty holes. The only way you can tell the mag is empty is a slightly different sound when fired. My Impact magazine has a probe-stop that prevents dry shots and wasting air when the mag is empty. I think, except for being heavier, I like my Impact better. Also, one of my favorite features is that the shroud telescopes down to a very short gun length for quick/easy storage in a small compact case....I don't know why FX dropped this feature. Instead, they should have included it on the Wild Cat in my opinion.

My friend brought his stock MK1 WC .25 over this week to do some scope sighting and doping at ranges from 15 to 100 yards. I shot it myself and immediately noticed that it took about 3 times the effort to cock the side lever than my .25 impact. (very stiff and not smooth at all). Also the cocking lever hangs up about 3-4 times per magazine fill, (won't load a pellet). You have to fiddle with the mag; pull it out/put it back in, to get things to line up apparently. The mag will spin in both directions without catching or indexing, which seems strange. Otherwise we got decent 5-shot groups...about 3/8" at 30 yards inside my shop. Both guns are stock and sound about the same...plenty quiet for me. The other things I really did not like about the WC is that the Mags are way too small, only 8 shots, vs 16 on my Impact and when the WC mag is empty it continues to shoot on empty holes. The only way you can tell the mag is empty is a slightly different sound when fired. My Impact magazine has a probe-stop that prevents dry shots and wasting air when the mag is empty. I think, except for being heavier, I like my Impact better. Also, one of my favorite features is that the shroud telescopes down to a very short gun length for quick/easy storage in a small compact case....I don't know why FX dropped this feature. Instead, they should have included it on the Wild Cat in my opinion.

Have your mate check this out, it may help him out:

Wildcat Mag Indexing

I read up on all the quirks before puchase and gave the gun a good once over before even firing. Checked indexing and oiled the cocking lever. Not sure about the differences between mk1 and mk2 but mine cocks smoothly and indexes fine but I'm comparing that with cocking the regal which takes a bit of effort for the last half inch.

Congrats on the impact, they look sweet.

To track the amount of ammo left when the empty slots show, I count the visibly filled ones and add one. When you only see one, there are two left in the magazine.

You can also side load it. When shooting from my deck, I'll have the tin next to me, and when there's three empty slots (one left in the magazine) I side load three more.

I haven't tried it yet, but in the field I would imagine a pellet pen would make it easy to side load without having to pull them from the tin and worrying about dropping a ton of pellets ☹️.

Reactions: n2stuff
I hear your excitement and passion about the Wildcat and bonding with bullpups, the exact same thing happened to me, I have a .25 and .22 Mk1, the .22 is just plain fun to shoot, pellets somewhat cheaper it's light easy to hold and aim I shoot it almost exclusive now, bug holes at .25yds are another day at the office. My search for "air guns" is over, I'm sure their is many other great guns, and trying different ones is fun and part of the hobby too, but I'm focusing on the FX bulpups forever more. I wish I could get together with people like yourself with "passion" for shooting, I always try to promote the sport, I haven't converted anyone yet. I'm glad your enjoying your WC, welcome to the "club". Oh if your Regal and Wildcat procreate, can I have the pick of the litter?

To track the amount of ammo left when the empty slots show, I count the visibly filled ones and add one. When you only see one, there are two left in the magazine.

You can also side load it. When shooting from my deck, I'll have the tin next to me, and when there's three empty slots (one left in the magazine) I side load three more.

I haven't tried it yet, but in the field I would imagine a pellet pen would make it easy to side load without having to pull them from the tin and worrying about dropping a ton of pellets ☹️.

Thanks for that. I figured out this morning that when one pellet is visible, I have two shots remaining but side loading didn't occur to me. I think I'll try side loading 2 more when one is visible and stick with 5 shot groups since apparently I've subconsciously trained myself that way.

This morning while shooting I was like, "there's shot 5, group looks tight, crap I gotta pull 3 more shots off", then occasionally the group goes downhill. Lol, three extra chances to make a mistake plus I was burning through pellets like a madman, what with 8 shots per bullseye and easy-peasy side lever cocking. Great fun though.

I hear your excitement and passion about the Wildcat and bonding with bullpups, the exact same thing happened to me, I have a .25 and .22 Mk1, the .22 is just plain fun to shoot, pellets somewhat cheaper it's light easy to hold and aim I shoot it almost exclusive now, bug holes at .25yds are another day at the office. My search for "air guns" is over, I'm sure their is many other great guns, and trying different ones is fun and part of the hobby too, but I'm focusing on the FX bulpups forever more. I wish I could get together with people like yourself with "passion" for shooting, I always try to promote the sport, I haven't converted anyone yet. I'm glad your enjoying your WC, welcome to the "club". Oh if your Regal and Wildcat procreate, can I have the pick of the litter?

I feel you on the passion mate. Even as a kid, I've always known there was something zenlike happening while aiming down the sights or through the scope although I didn't have the words to describe it as such back then. Something about the empty mindedness and focus just keeps me coming back for more.

As for the Regal/WC procreation, I hope it comes with a side lever. I love the Regal, she's a tack driver and a beautifully balanced rifle. My only bugaboo is the cocking effort. Ten years ago it probably would've been a non-issue. Hell, I carried an M21 sniper setup that weighed in around 14lb fully loaded but that was 33 years ago and I guess those days are long gone. My skinny fingers are 57 yr old now and after about 80 shots, the bone in my index finger is literally sore the next day from cocking it. Sometimes getting old is like a sorry dessert after a fine meal.

I'm with you on that, Hookster. I consider the FX Wildcat .25 Mk1 to be the best overall small game rifle for me at this point. During my relatively short journey down the adult airgun road, I too have been through many platforms in search of the ideal rifle. Each rifle I've owned has had its own pluses and minuses. There were deal-breakers that weren't apparent until I got the rifle out in the field.

I haven't tried it yet, but in the field I would imagine a pellet pen would make it easy to side load without having to pull them from the tin and worrying about dropping a ton of pellets
2639.svg

Thanks for the info. When I'm hunting and walking around on the ranch I lose count at the end of the mag. The last thing I want to happen is to double load by changing mags on the hunt.