WILDCAT bt tuning question

Ooook, it's me again! I'll learn all this poop one day I swear it.

So I FINALLY got my wildcat bt sniper tuned just the way I liked it, shooting hybrids at 100fpe consistently. That lasted about 2 magazines worth of lead until I went to cock it and it wouldn't cock. Turns out the set screws of the charging handle let go of the bar. No big deal right? So I set it back and now my shot spread is like 100 fps all over the place. 965, 885, 920.... what the hell, literally after I had everything just the way I wanted it, but learning experience.

So does anyone know what the issue is now? Is the port hole on the bolt supposed to be aligned or something? Any way to tell how far in it needs to go?

I don't think I did. And there is like 6 spots now from me fuggin with it so much 😔
For me I would have to pull that metal rod towards the front of the PCP and then tighten. That would mean the screws should probably be on the marks closest to the rear of the PCP. I am guessing you first tightened it up without pulling on that metal rod.

This is a known flaw in the FX Wildcat and Maverick. The first trick is to get the screws back to the right position, and that rod is under spring tension. If you have multiple marks, it will likely be the rear marks. If you get totally lost, the 33mm measurement is likely the only way. The second trick will be to get those screws to STAY there. Expect the rod to slip occasionally, which will cause your probe to back out, and the gun will suddenly lose power. You will know because the gun will puff air where the probe goes into the barrel. You can test it by placing a nose tissue over the area and firing the gun. The tissue will move. You may think it is the breech seal, but not on a Wildcat or Maverick. It can very likely be slippage of those 2 little set screws on the rod. I have posted about this issue numerous times, but FX seems to have no interest in correcting the flaw. This and the poor tolerances on their magazines are a hamper on otherwise fine airguns.
The probe on the Impacts are flawed as well, but are easily fixed by installing a Kraford & Lypt Ultra Probe Carrier, which in my opinion, should be installed on every Impact at the factory. You should not need to start working on a $2000+ gun shortly after receiving it just to get it to function properly (not referring to tuning). When you get a new gun, you should be able to clean it, fill it with air and, fill it with standard pellets. The magazine should slide into place, you should be able to load the pellet with the lever, take off the safety, pull the trigger, and a pellet should come out. When the safety is on, you should not be able to fire the gun.
I don't think that is too much to expect for $2,000+ dollars.

Last edited:
As soon as you find the factory location of the grub screws on that rod. Tighten them with no locktite.

Order two M4 x 6 socket head Torx bolts and when they come in, locktite those in by removing the grub screws one at a time. The torx will cinch down tighter onto that rod and the heads won’t strip out like grub screws

Reactions: fderry and douger