• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Wildcat and X Barrel

Does the chrony string seem fine? Have you tried single loading it? Are the shroud and barrel tight? Hows accuracy without the shroud?

CA

Yes, tried all of this. Chrony string is fine. Poi may shift left, right, up or down. Never know where it’s gonna go. Or if it’s gonna continue to group.... AOA said clean the barrel, didn’t work. And I’ve read about some wildcats having bad barrels that collect a lot of lead from the pellets so i was thinking this may be it. Just trying to see if the x would fix any of that

Sounds like a problem with regulator, get a Huma reg and im pretty sure issue will be solved :b

Really? Is Huma this desperate? Really? Guy comes on asking about changing barrels. All of a sudden he needs a Huma regulator. He is describing a breech seal. What happens when its not the regulator and its just a breech seal? We gonna point him to a Lothar Walter polygon barrel, so he can come back with more accuracy problems?

Chillax dude I don't think the suggestions have any malicious intent. 

I believe what is being suggested is what would be typical FX remedies based on what other owners did to solve their common issues.

Though I don't think switching from an FX ST to a LW barrel would be a bad thing either but I personally wouldn't go for the polygon version.

CA

Ok the kinder gentler me.

I have the same wildcat. The Gen 1.

If you cock the gun and ease a pellet into the chamber, you will feel that pellet passing into the breech seal. After many shots this wears the seal down. Typically you will get anywhere from 500 shots to 2000 shots and anywhere in between. You just never know when a breech seal will be compromised. I usually remove the barrel and change mine about every 1500 if they make it that long. At 3 thousand shots, if the seal makes it that long, you should just go ahead and change it anyway. It's time.

Any damage to the seal at all , such as small nicks from pellets rubbing against it will cause erratic changes in poi just exactly as the OP describes.

It is also not unusual to look into the chamber and see no breech seal at all. That is because it wore down, broke and blew out of the barrel on one of your shots. The Wildcat is not the only gun that does this. It's more common than one might think.

Changing a breech seal in the Wildcat is pretty easy. Remove the barrel, get yourself a number 5 worm hook, typically used for bass fishing. Bend the hook straight, then put a crook at the point and stick it in there and pull the seal out. Replacing with a new seal is a little harder. It has to seat in the grove. I use what is known as a pecan pick. It has a curve that allows me to seat the seal perfectly in the grove without damage.

Reinstall the barrel: Put it back in, find your index mark, and screw the grub screw precisely down on that mark. If the barrel is set back too far, you won't be able to get your magazine in, or it will go in, but will not cycle, Do not force it to cycle if it seems harder than usual. Loosen the grub screw and slightly pull the barrel out until it is flush with the breech.

If the chrony indicates a low extreme spread then see below:

• Check breech o-ring
  • Check barrel crown for any damage, use a q-tip to see if it snags
  • Check scope mounts and also if possible try a different Scope
  • Try weighing and sorting a sample of pellets or use pellets from a different batch...you'd be surprised.
  • Clean the barrel
  • What speed is your pellet traveling at? Too fast or slow could cause some crazy POI changes between shots. What caliber?
  • Tune your regulator for best groups....see Matt Dubber's video on tuning the Impact for harmony. Should apply to the Wildcat as well.

Call FX and talk to Ernest if all the above check out OK.

Good Luck and let us know

KP