• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Wild Hogs in the suburbs? Anyone familiar with laws in TX?

0rbit

Sep 30, 2020
TX
We've recently had a lot of construction in an otherwise wooded area in S. Texas where I live. A lot of wildlife has been displaced, including Bald Eagles and other raptors, deer, coyotes and wild boar. Pets are being attacked and these animals are getting obviously desperate. On the nextdoor application one of my neighbors saw a dozen hogs fighting a pack of wild dogs at the creek we regularly visit.

Debate between neighbors is mixed, some want to bring in trappers, others want to bow hunt them. I'm not getting a firm answer on legality though. Supposedly in TX hogs are considered invasive pests and can be culled any time of year but I highly doubt the gov't would want a bunch of folks trapsing through the woods with bows.

My main concern is my pets. One of my dogs was badly mauled by 1 or more coyotes and almost died last year (decent sized husky). Due to construction I've had a lot of encounters this last year and the last thing I want is something digging under my fence and and killing my cat or dog. I wonder if anyone has had to defend their pet or property from an animal such as a hog or coyote within city limits - specifically with an airgun -, and if there were repercussions. In my encounters it's far to late at night to call animal control and things happened so fast it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

Contact the Texas Game Wardens:

https://tpwd.texas.gov/warden/

They are generally happy to come visit, discuss the problem, and tell you applicable laws. If it is a community issue then see about gathering a group to discuss as one unit with them for escalated action. Obviously covid-19 will need to be taken into consideration with a meeting.

If you have a deer processing business nearby they can provide you with a direct number to the local game warden for fastest action.

They are, as a general rule, a great group of people who live within the communities they serve. Do be aware they are part of the TDPS so treat them as law enforcement since they carry that authorization within the state.

Edit: I should add in TX it is a felony to hunt on another's property without permission, for a bullet to cross your property line, or to aim toward or hunt from a roadway. Thus, the recommendation to talk to them.