• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Air Arms Why you shouldn’t overpressurize your S4xx/5xx

I'm quite glad you were not injured.
I've had several AA rifles over the years and it REALLY surprises me that this is not more common. I really do not consider AA' s poorly made... actually could be a favorite except for the air tube sealing. If you look carefully, you'll see that they took a 9k psi tube (a guess here but it appears to be), and reduced the thickness at the seal by a significant margin, and also cut threads inside the pressurized portion of the tube... Both will SIGNIFICANTLY reduce the burst or rupture pressure in those spots.
All other air rifles I own have the seal INSIDE the threaded portion where the tube is full strength. The only tradeoff I can think of is having the seal survive the assembly process on others like Daystate but that usually isn't a problem.
Again... not hating on AA... just don't understand this from an engineering or liability view.
Just be very careful to not overpressure in the future when you get it repaired.
Bob

Oh boy, the threaded section is exposed to HPA? That'll do it. Wonder the depth of the thread, could easily re-calculate the safe working pressure, but I also think we learned its no more than the manufacturers recommended today.

-Matt

I reckon this could be an engineered failure point. It would be the first place to fail, and we see exactly how it did. In a very safe manner.
Interesting idea...
I think I'll stick with 3x or more over pressure insurance, myself...

For what it's worth, we still have 2 AA rifles and they get filled to 200 bar but I would never overfill and still cringe some when filling. One is from 1996, the other from 2000.
Bob

I reckon this could be an engineered failure point. It would be the first place to fail, and we see exactly how it did. In a very safe manner.
Bingo. This is actually designed into AA cylinders as an over pressure safety. Have seen this a time or two when owners go too far overboard (be it intentional or accidental) on a fill.

Good post. I own/have owned both S410 and S510 rifles. Never an issue like this and though Motorhead installed HUMA regs in mine, I never have gone above 210 bar, and have this post, will be certain it is filled to no more than 200.

Both of mine are approaching 20 years old with never a problem.

Good post. I own/have owned both S410 and S510 rifles. Never an issue like this and though Motorhead installed HUMA regs in mine, I never have gone above 210 bar, and have this post, will be certain it is filled to no more than 200.

Both of mine are approaching 20 years old with never a problem.
My own is over 20 years old and has many thousands of pellets through it. You can see by the bluing in the picture that it’s been out in the rain many times over the years.

Up until now I’ve only experienced two problems with it. One had to do with the feed mechanism and I had to order a replacement part, that was about 20 years ago so all I remember is it seemed like a tiny leaf spring. The other was when the baffles in the shroud came loose and I don’t remember what I did to correct it.

Reactions: maxtrouble
I put a regulator in my S410E awhile ago and started charging it to 250 bar for the extra shot capacity. Well, today while charging it spit out an o-ring near the fill port. I guess you can see why. Oh well, maybe I can turn it into a blunderbuss.

View attachment 400871
What does the AA owners manual say your fill pressure is?

What does the AA owners manual say your fill pressure is?
I'm pretty sure it's 200 bar, but prior to regulating it I rarely went above 170 due to the velocity curve. 150 was about optimal for maximum velocity. Once I regulated it I found my most consistent shots were above 160 bar and I was under the impression that the reservoir tube itself was rated to 300 bar, so I felt comfortable overcharging it. It got a whole lot of very consistent shots when charged like that, so I'm a little disappointed, but anytime you walk away uninjured after doing something ignorant and dangerous you should be thankful.

Reactions: maxtrouble
I'm pretty sure it's 200 bar, but prior to regulating it I rarely went above 170 due to the velocity curve. 150 was about optimal for maximum velocity. Once I regulated it I found my most consistent shots were above 160 bar and I was under the impression that the reservoir tube itself was rated to 300 bar, so I felt comfortable overcharging it. It got a whole lot of very consistent shots when charged like that, so I'm a little disappointed, but anytime you walk away uninjured after doing something ignorant and dangerous you should be thankful.

Not suggesting this as a fix so you can overfill the s5xx/s4xx, but if you were to get a custom fill adapter made that takes the o-ring passed the threads that air tube would be MUCH safer, would certainly give me peace of mind, although as you saw that point of failure wasn't too catastrophic...still well below the margins it should be failing at as it stands.

-Matt

Bingo. This is actually designed into AA cylinders as an over pressure safety. Have seen this a time or two when owners go too far overboard (be it intentional or accidental) on a fill.
Yep. The very literal definition of "fail safe."

The new factory regged guns have a vent hole at both ends of the tube.

Reactions: subscriber
I sure wasn't bashing AA because I love some of their rifles. One of my all time fav's is the MPR-FT and I like the HFT500, but the thing just doesn't grow on me for some reason. This is also timely, as I just sold my latest MPR and HFT because I'm also not a fan of the triggers, which could be much better, but that's another discussion. I never had any inclination to overfill one, as someone mentioned, the shot curve doesn't indicate the need. Both the MPR and HFT will get a lot of shots on the curve with a ~170 bar fill. Now the fac guns, I understand the want to go higher, but as you can see, this ain't the gun.
I have to admit, as much as I like AA, IF I wanted a gun to shoot in the high speed class, then there are just too many guns that will do it that I like better.

Not suggesting this as a fix so you can overfill the s5xx/s4xx, but if you were to get a custom fill adapter made that takes the o-ring passed the threads that air tube would be MUCH safer, would certainly give me peace of mind, although as you saw that point of failure wasn't too catastrophic...still well below the margins it should be failing at as it stands.

-Matt
Their tubes are sealed the same way on both ends on the example rifle..

-Matt
Definitely not a good recommendation, for others to tinker with. As seen and posted about above, it would appear these guns were designed to fail in the manner the OP saw, in a somewhat controlled manner. It someone we’re to redesign the tube to move the oring with the idea of being able to overpressure, then the likely result would be the next weakest part will fail, which may not be as controlled as the OP saw, and could result in injury.

Stubbers, I know you are not suggesting it, but I felt like the result should be pointed out just in case someone thought they could “get away” with it.

Reactions: BSJ
Definitely not a good recommendation, for others to tinker with. As seen and posted about above, it would appear these guns were designed to fail in the manner the OP saw, in a somewhat controlled manner. It someone we’re to redesign the tube to move the oring with the idea of being able to overpressure, then the likely result would be the next weakest part will fail, which may not be as controlled as the OP saw, and could result in injury.

Stubbers, I know you are not suggesting it, but I felt like the result should be pointed out just in case someone thought they could “get away” with it.

No airgun tube should fail in such a scenario. And considering their newer version can handle 250 bar, makes you wonder if they changed the design accordingly...

-Matt

Reactions: Arzrover