Why the blind should not cast bullets

I am legally blind, my right eye has been removed, my left eye has a nickel sized spot of undnaged retina, enough that I can’t see a full profile semi coming at me at 150’so Inhave no field of view on my right side. I shoot using perifical vision_

Earlier this week I was running my 25 MMpmold to shoot out of my new TJ barreled Kral Bighorn.

I have been casting for 55 years now and have gotten lead splatters now and then, but this week I really got cooked. I of course wear a heavy leather coat and gloves and eye protection and a 12 inch floor fan blowing onto me.

I decided to check my spruce plate tightness and removed my right glove to pick-up a Allen wrench. My ladle was in the pot full of iead, as I pivoted to the left, I lost sight of the ladle handle, brought my hand down on it and poured a iadles worth of moltened lead on the top of my thumb behind the web of my thumb. I monthly catch my hand on the push lever of my coffee pot, sometimes spilling it sometimes not, but nothing like this.

Instantly my neighbors were blinded by the flashing red light of my asshole throbbing in and out.

I got it under a faucet of cold running water and avoided a 3rd degree burn, but days later it is shedding skin and still burns.

When my adult children visit and look at their blind fathers cashing furnace, they shutdder but know nothing they can say will stop me from pouring bullets.

Be safe out there,

Roachcreek

Dennis,

At 73 I am not going to give it up willingly, having said that, the eye doctors tell me my optic nerve is dying and on top of that I have a inoperatable cataract, so at sometime in the future things will get pretty dark. The eye problems are the result of too many street fights in my misspent youth while wearing the blue suit, oddly enough I was never in a fight that I wasn’t wearing the blue suit.

I have had my lead levels checked and they were in the lower levels, which surprised me.

But thanks for the concern.

RC

I am legally blind, my right eye has been removed, my left eye has a nickel sized spot of undnaged retina, enough that I can’t see a full profile semi coming at me at 150’so Inhave no field of view on my right side. I shoot using perifical vision_

Earlier this week I was running my 25 MMpmold to shoot out of my new TJ barreled Kral Bighorn.

I have been casting for 55 years now and have gotten lead splatters now and then, but this week I really got cooked. I of course wear a heavy leather coat and gloves and eye protection and a 12 inch floor fan blowing onto me.

I decided to check my spruce plate tightness and removed my right glove to pick-up a Allen wrench. My ladle was in the pot full of iead, as I pivoted to the left, I lost sight of the ladle handle, brought my hand down on it and poured a iadles worth of moltened lead on the top of my thumb behind the web of my thumb. I monthly catch my hand on the push lever of my coffee pot, sometimes spilling it sometimes not, but nothing like this.

Instantly my neighbors were blinded by the flashing red light of my asshole throbbing in and out.

I got it under a faucet of cold running water and avoided a 3rd degree burn, but days later it is shedding skin and still burns.

When my adult children visit and look at their blind fathers cashing furnace, they shutdder but know nothing they can say will stop me from pouring bullets.

Be safe out there,

Roachcreek
I'm sorry to hear of your vision issues...I wish it were not so. I have great eyes, but my hearing is lacking...I'll stick with ears that don't work so well, for I don't want to contemplate bad vision. Hang in there and heal soon!

Dennis,

At 73 I am not going to give it up willingly, having said that, the eye doctors tell me my optic nerve is dying and on top of that I have a inoperatable cataract, so at sometime in the future things will get pretty dark. The eye problems are the result of too many street fights in my misspent youth while wearing the blue suit, oddly enough I was never in a fight that I wasn’t wearing the blue suit.

I have had my lead levels checked and they were in the lower levels, which surprised me.

But thanks for the concern.

RC
I love your enthusiasm about not giving up!🤗🫡🎩

I think it will be the sighting equipments that will stop me from shooting. Most of my scopes are giving me problems these days, that and not being able to read unless I ca blow it up with my IPad. I can’t read print even with a 🔎 , instructions and even with the iPad the forum is getting hard to read, and typo’s harder to correct. Frustrating when you realize I love to write and have written two books.

Compared to what’s waiting for me visually, the burn on my hand is really nothing but a mild irritation.

My wife and I are selling out this next summer and building a house in her home country, the Philippines, where she has a extended family to care for me, my old folks home if you will. Our building lot is one lot away from her family home. I love it there, if 8 entrance visa stamps on my passport mean anything.

I always knew I would hit my grave after a broadside skid, just didn’t know I would not have headlights.

Regards,

Roachcreek
70692414575__2DC6D41E-2DD7-4884-B181-922EF16ACD2B.jpeg

I think it will be the sighting equipments that will stop me from shooting. Most of my scopes are giving me problems these days, that and not being able to read unless I ca blow it up with my IPad. I can’t read print even with a 🔎 , instructions and even with the iPad the forum is getting hard to read, and typo’s harder to correct. Frustrating when you realize I love to write and have written two books.

Compared to what’s waiting for me visually, the burn on my hand is really nothing but a mild irritation.

My wife and I are selling out this next summer and building a house in her home country, the Philippines, where she has a extended family to care for me, my old folks home if you will. Our building lot is one lot away from her family home. I love it there, if 8 entrance visa stamps on my passport mean anything.

I always knew I would hit my grave after a broadside skid, just didn’t know I would not have headlights.

Regards,

Roachcreek
View attachment 359957
I'm glad you got a plan🎩🤙
Hope the best for ya!🤗

Grim prognosis for you but please do not give up posting here. Your graphic description was quite entertaining.
on the serious side, I was befriended by an old guy when I was in my 20’s. He was a lead welder by trade and had been doing it all his life. Was still doing installs for X-ray rooms and nuclear plants at the age of 75.
He died of old age not lead poisoning. How the heck he avoided the lead poisoning is beyond me.
Rock until you drop. Never say die.

We used to run into shooting range exhaust fan troubles on the Bureau, a good friend was the rangemaster and he got lead poisoning due to a redesign to add another office.

That range was closed after that.

Aboutb20 years ago I had my levels checked and it surprised me they were so low.

Having said that, I run a 12ninch fan blowing out my garage door and constantly wash my hands, and dry them very well so that my lead pot does not blow up. Until you have a lead pot empty itself in your face due to moisture, you have not experienced the exciting aspects of life.

Last night was not too bad, but the night before I had to hit the Advil. Really hurts when I put my hand under my butt to do my flutter kicks.

RC

Reactions: RM.510bigbore