• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Why the 30 degree linear shot group at 100?

Trying to practice at 100 yards and getting really good groups but it is always a weird line. It will jump around and do hole in hole every other shot or so...not consecutively...jumps back and forth to hitting where it was a couple of shots ago. Any ideas? Is this wind or harmonics possibly? I am noobish to shooting pcp at 100. It is a 22 avenger for reference.shooting 18 jsb at 880ish. My best 10 shot group today at 100 
120622830_456169358687704_2200643759261205303_n.jpg

Trigger pull or punch and weight plus clean break, scope parallax head position, follow through, pellet prep, rest gun exactly the same, hand position same each shot, level of gun, shoulder positioning, power of scope 25x plus your shooting BR range all come into play. Then harmonic tune so pellet release from barrel is at the peek or bottom of the sine wave.

I have been shooting firearms and break barrels forever and try my best to take all those things into account and also have a bubble level. I am going to try taking a minute between shots next time I go out to see if maybe it is the reg taking forever to settle back.right. It is a $300 rifle. It probably is just me pulling the trigger though. I will just keep practicing.

It probably has nothing to do with you at all. It has to do with pellets moving large amounts in very small differences in wind at 100y. The idea that they should all go in the same hole at 100y outdoors is not reasonable with any pellet gun...because we don’t possess the skill to discern a 1mph change in wind between us and the target and compensate for it.

Mike 

It doesn’t matter how good you are, because pellets are garbage in the wind. The pellets you are using will drift way more than and inch per mph of wind at 100. So assuming your gun is perfect....all you have to do is make sure you compensate for every little wind change between you and the target...or be fortunate enough to get some good consistent wind long enough to get your group shot.

You’re doing fine.

Mike 

That is awesome shooting. Please post your other targets so we can see the consistency / inconsistencies. BTW, I’m really impressed with your results, especially with an Avenger! I recently got one too but haven’t had the opportunity to stretch its legs out to that distance but my groups at my home range (at 30 yds) show a lot of promise especially for a budget rifle.

IMG_20200813_203134_01.1602306149.jpg
That is the only picture I took that day at 100 and only took it because I was kind of astounded. I will be going again monday or tuesday though and will take more. Practicing for the AOA ebr ish covid thing. This was at 47 yards standing when I first got it before messing with the tune too much. I had 3 more cards that weren't nearly as favorable lol (I was 1 inch to 3.5 standing). I have a feeling I will completely bomb the 75 and 100 cards for the AOA thing lmao