Why so many FFP scopes for sale?

Is it my imagination or does it seem there's a LOT of FFP scopes advertised lately in the classifieds? What's up with that? I've read bits an pieces of threads comparing FFP and SFP,, so wondering if the users can't warm up to the differences? NOT the greatest thing since sliced bread? 😲 I haven't been to any local sporting goods stores to check them out for myself, but I know I'm not big on changes.... the older I get. 

Thanks for any replies.

Some of it has to do with them upgrading their scopes, this is usually my reason because I prefer FFP as it has the most benefit with my most used types of shooting.

Another reason is for regular shooting at close to medium range, on lower magnification, a SFP scope is a better fit for that type of scenario, which is discovered soon after they purchase a FFP scope.

I'm actually downgrading soon by selling my FFP S&B 3-20. I need the money to put the towards other purchases. 

Always the plethora of other different reasons people sell things.

1. It is the classifieds with a few thousand members. 

2. it’s not a conspiracy on FFP scopes.

3. there are more FX guns than FFP scope listed over the last 5 days. 
(Is there something we don’t know about FX guns we should?)

4. the Russians and Ukrainians are not involved.

5. I have 6 FFP (4 Athlon 2 Falcon) and 2 FX guns and have no intentions of selling them any time soon.

The reason I'll be selling my FFP scopes is because, as someone else mentioned, they suck on low power, the reticle is tiny and the hash marks are unusable essentially. Also, I sell/use scope turret stickers and just dialing to your yardage is by far the most accurate way to adjust for distance, making a FFP scope reticle useless (i think). Wish I didn't jump on the FFP scope bandwagon so quickly...

1582251100_18618121835e4f3c5c637609.12875405_IMG_5667.jpg

The reason I'll be selling my FFP scopes is because, as someone else mentioned, they suck on low power, the reticle is tiny and the hash marks are unusable essentially. Also, I sell/use scope turret stickers and just dialing to your yardage is by far the most accurate way to adjust for distance, making a FFP scope reticle useless (i think). Wish I didn't jump on the FFP scope bandwagon so quickly...

1582251100_18618121835e4f3c5c637609.12875405_IMG_5667.jpg

Please don't misunderstand my following comment, I just find very interesting how is the reasoning behind your comment and I'm just open to learn, While reading your comment I really don't understand something. One of the reason I love my FFP is exactly because I have stickers on my turret and as someone that is filming through the scope I'm constantly adjusting my magnification, so the stickers are usable at any magnification.

It's true that if you go all the way to the min magnification you won't see the numbers, but it's enough if you see the a cross, aim there and shoot, now, at 8 or 10 magnification (my scope is 20 magnification) you can use the numbers, but again my point is: as someone that is always finding the best magnification for the video, FFP is heaven because my clicks stay the same no matter what magnification I use. When I think clicking vs holdover my mind start thinking FFP vs SFP it's curious that you sell stickers but still think SPF is best for that application. Can you explain more why? I might be missing something. Unless you are always on the same magnification and if that's the case why don't buy a fixed magnification scope? You will get better glass.

Thanks for sharing.

Not quite understanding what you mean??? Stickers on turrets are usable on any magnification with a FFP or a SFP.

To clarify, "clicks" are the amount the turrets adjust per each line on the turret. "Hashes" in the reticle represent a value of holdover or holdoff.

Clicks, instead of thinking in clicks by themselves, think in the full value of moa or mil. What I mean is say you had 1/4 moa adjustments/clicks on your moa turrets, Just picking a random dialed solution of 4 moa as an example here - instead of adjusting and counting out 16 individual clicks, you "instead" adjust 4 full numbers = or 4 moa/minutes of angle. Or with turrets in .1 mil adjustments 16 clicks is 1.6 mils/ same/same, it's slow and silly to count out 16 clicks, instead you go to 1 full mil quickly, then do 6 more clicks. Or even easier is dial 1.5 mil + 1 click which is even faster if the half mil mark is labeled on the turret. If the turret doesn't have .5 mil/half mil labeled I dial 2 full mils and take off 4 clicks.

SFP or FFP, mil or moa, using turrets to adjust with, dial whatever is needed and use the center of your reticle.

SFP = hashes in reticle only true on one magnification, using that particular magnification "leave turrets on zero" and holdover and/or holdoff using reticle.

FFP = hashes in reticle are true no matter the magnification. "leave turrets on zero" and holdover and/or holdoff using reticle.

It won't work both dialing the dope and holding over the dope concurrently. You'll have exactly twice the amount that was hoped for.

Stickers make for quick turret adjustments. But it's always faster to holdover and off using a reticle designed for holdovers, holdunders, and holdoffs. 

Steve, I think Orion's question is related to you using stickers, which voids using/changing the magnification after dialing in on a given distance. Say you have dialed in at 50yd with 8x magnification, you go out hunting a see a critter at 50yd, decides to turn up magnification up to 16x,, now your turret stickers are no longer good (SFP) because you changed magnification, but on a FFP scope you don't have this "problem".

It seems that every week, a new brand scope emerges from the shadows with some kind of whiz-bang feature that everyone has to have. FFP reticles are the newest. I bought one and didn't like it. Back to the supplier it went. Now, there are new brands emerging which this and other forum writers are trying to get me to ditch the scopes I have been using successfully for many years. Nope!

Steve, I think Orion's question is related to you using stickers, which voids using/changing the magnification after dialing in on a given distance. Say you have dialed in at 50yd with 8x magnification, you go out hunting a see a critter at 50yd, decides to turn up magnification up to 16x,, now your turret stickers are no longer good (SFP) because you changed magnification, but on a FFP scope you don't have this "problem".

Steve, maybe I didn't explain well, but my point is exactly what christian wrote above. You are adding stickers to a SFP scope the yardage is only good for a given magnification. I really find it way more useful the stickers on the FFP, again specially that I'm constantly making things bigger/smaller, when I'm recording!

Lots of general detractors of FFPs, to those who say they don’t work at low magnification. FFPs scope are not all the same. Both of mine, (different brands) work fine throughout their range. At the lowest magnification there is a very useable crosshair. To those who say FFP scopes are a “fad” or the latest “whiz bang” features. That’s what iron sight shooters use to say when good scopes became available to the general shooting public.😀 Just shoot through what you like and stop making generalizations on FFPs. They are popular for reasons that “don’t” have anything to do with “hype” or “fads”. They work well for their intended purposes, or maybe I got “hyped” into believing they do?

Steve, maybe I didn't explain well, but my point is exactly what christian wrote above. You are adding stickers to a SFP scope the yardage is only good for a given magnification. I really find it way more useful the stickers on the FFP, again specially that I'm constantly making things bigger/smaller, when I'm recording!

LOL, I hope we are saying the same thing otherwise we have a big misunderstanding?! We already agree on the FFP and SFP aspects of how those work using the reticle. Were talking about the turrets only here, and the use of the stickers. 

Yardage stickers on a turret, like in Jeffs photo, have nothing to do with the reticle (ETA, except using the center crosshair/dot) or whether the scope is SFP or FFP, right?! As long as the solution for the dope is dialed with the turrets it doesn't matter what magnification the scope is on whether SFP or FFP, right?! Effectively those yardage stickers are just like a bullet drop compensation turret that is made for a certain projectile's trajectory path based on BC and velocity.

Otherwise refer to my previous post. 

But what I find odd in Jeff's photo is, he's got the stickers going exactly the wrong direction. Assuming 30Y is his zero, CounterClockWise/CCW movement of the turret is up, so he'd be dialing clockwise which is down according to his stickers???? I know those are CCW turrets because on the windage turret, right is CCW, and left is CW.