• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Why PCP Airguns?

Its the gun that keeps squirrels from chewing the wood trim on my house. I cannot shot even a rimfire at home but I can blast away with my 25 Marauder and not offend the neighbors. Shooting is a perishable skill and the air gun lets me stay sharp for hunting season. Also, its just fun. Its the pellet gun of your dreams when you were that nine year old kid stalking to get close enough. Now just use the mil dots. Its also a lot of fun.

I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for the kind, sincere responses about the topic. I could more or less imagine all the specified reasons but regarding my current desire and role for airguns the PCP is less appropriate.

Basically I got into it as a gateway drug for my boys aged 6 and 8 whom we do a lot of outdoors and ranged weapons activities. Ever since the electronics were shut off a year ago the books, archery, hikes in the woods, fireworks and (low load) black powder cannons came on. Everything was fun and dandy in the back yard because there are more than a little woods around us but I cannot discharge firearms. Then not that long ago there was an open house at a local range not 10 minutes from my house and before I knew it I put myself on the waiting list waiting for my long since dormant weapons to come back on line (anyone watch Miyazaki with the "old world superweapon" theme that always lies dormant for the epic ending?).

I take huge satisfaction in the quiet art of archery shooting up to 50lbs longbow after a year of practice able to hit the target at 30 yards 95% of the time (not bull's eye), and for radical modification of old furniture particularly the neighbors' they are throwing away, don't ask. Other joys abound in the likewise pre-trash modification of broken electronics, where the slingshots with .50 cal ball bearings are highly impressive. But there is something about pulling the trigger time after time. I can see how you guys feel about PCP's because the pistol crossbows are fragile and don't last long for the amount I shoot them, and the .177 pellets just lack the punch (or size) to be totally satisfying, as do regular crossbows, though intuitive shooting, archery or slingshot, has its satisfactions.

I might eventually get into PCP's because they seem so cool, but I'm just not ready at this time given the amount of other hobbies I already have. I won't commit, but I can see the draw and respect it, maybe getting pulled in some day.

Sad to see how things are in OZ. Let's not touch that button.....

my father asked me the same thing why not just get a real gun and it came down to a few aspects of air guns to traditional fire arm
I wanted something vary quite and when I mean quite I do shoot in my back yard and I even let my neighbors shoot my marauders and compared to bang of a 22 its so much simpler
yes starting out is expensive I cannot argue that
i like how ez it is to tune my power down or up without having to change ammo from my experience with hunting if you want to shoot at different speeds you need different loads and unless you have a press and make your own your goanna have to buy it and that gets expensive...
pcp are know to have little to no recoil so when i shoot with my father or nephew the aspect of error due to recoil really helps they want to shoo more 
and lastly i don't have to clean my pcp nearly as much as my 22 not that i don't mind i but its a lot simpler 
my first pcp was a p-rod and the accuracy at 50 yards for something light weight no noise and considered a pistol got me hooked with how light it was.. i know have fun comparing my shooting skills with my pcp with my hunting buddies by shooting wind chimes and more often then not I win if they hit them here all but broken but they miss a lot more then me cuz they understand there can be some error when at the longer ranges if i want i down i got to be spot on
but really i think i just wanted to be different form every one around me although there all seem t be converting lol

I know another poster here mentioned it as well but the quiet and "no cleaning" element is probably tops with archery and slingshots, again both things that we do on a nearly daily basis. Only problem with archery is all the targets that I have to drag in and out as well as the backstops in setting them up.

I'll stick with my CO2 and break barrels for now but this seems like something worthwhile. The thought of shooting 50 cal "pellets" or "shotgun shells" in my back yard is mighty attractive.... anyone see that new PCP air-shotgun?

I was drawn [back] to airguns when I learned they could do what firearms can not.
  • No government (US) restrictions on silencing airguns (limitless perks to having a near-silent gun).
  • LESS energy coupled with surgical accuracy (virtually no shooting fatigue while still having a very effective hunting weapon).
  • Soft lead ammo (JSB) disintegrates when hitting grain bins and other farm materials (vs .firearms ammo penetrates)
  • Ammunition is inexpensive, match grade, and easily attainable
On several occasions, I have shot over 1000+ rounds in one day. The cost was $30. The fatigue on my body was next to nothing. The shooting knowledge I acquired was massive. Airguns have absolutely made me a better shooter.

However, I am not a "big bore" airgun enthusiast. If an airgun does not offer me the [above mentioned] benefits over a traditional firearm, I opt for the firearm. Additionally, big bore airguns have very low shot-counts, as air usage becomes increasingly less efficient when exceeding 100 ft/lbs of energy. That said, I fully understand why the big bore guys exist. They appreciate the challenge and technical geekery of using simple air (or in even more extreme circumstances - HELIUM) to achieve firearm-like energy.

"Ted"
On several occasions, I have shot over 1000+ rounds in one day. The cost was $30. The fatigue on my body was next to nothing. The shooting knowledge I acquired was massive. Airguns have absolutely made me a better shooter.

Ditto. I am but 8 miles from a range. I kept finding excuses not to go. Then I found that with an Airgun I could get my "fix", keep reasonably sharp and not leave my 45yd back yard. Thus, I shoot almost everyday when I'm home and it costs less than the gas to get to the range. All VERY quietly with my marauder and Discovery. I'm really glad I rediscovered the new airguns. 

You guys are making me smile!

Range is <4 miles from my house, just joined but it's getting tempting.

So 100ft*lbs is the efficiency threshold for gas? I can go through a good 10-15 CO2 cannisters in 1-2 hours with a Crossman 357, Comrade AK and Hammerli 850 with the kids, that includes me shooting two longbows and a crossbow and a pistol crossbow with some slingshot action. Kids alternate with their target recurves as well. Between old broken laptops, boxes, styrofoam and old furniture as well as archery targets galore strewn across the back yards, we call it the "smorgasboard". Maybe the meal needs another course?

PCP vs Springer: PCPs shoot like a firearm due to no spring recoil, so they are almost always more accurate than springers. PCPs are also usually repeaters with magazines.

PCP vs Rimfire: PCPs are clean and quiet, ammo is cheaper. It is easy to get great accuracy at any power level you want. A PCP is a complete tunable POWERPLANT. If you want an accurate rimfire, you are pretty much stuck at one power level with expensive ammo...if you can find it these days.

I think the small bore PCPs (.177, .20, .22, .25, .30) not only fill the power gap between BB gun and rimfire, but can actually be superior to a .22LR in some cases. Like Ted said above, when you get to big-bore, the advangates over firearms start to fade and shooters choose them for somewhat different reasons.

My interest in rimfire has faded dramatically after shooting PCP. I was looking at building up an accurate 100yd .22LR, but I think its going to be a .30 PCP now. Yes, it will be pricey, but worth it.