N/A Why PCP airguns are so expensive?

100 to 200 percent mark up. Dealer pays $900 and sells for $1800 to $2400
As long as they keep selling there is no reason to lower the price.
Do you have facts to back that? I have no doubt that there is a decent mark up, otherwise there would be no dealers, but I reall doubt it is 100-200 %.
My guess is that the mark up is much smaller than you think o the guns themselves and the majority of profits come from accessories and ammo where the cash flow continues well after the major purchase is made.

That is how it worked in the resale world that I have experience with.

A the moment I have 4 generic 50 bucks China pumps from Amazon, in the Past I had 8 HILLS and 2 FX.....never again, the Cheap China pumps are just as good if not better,

All you guys must be doing something seriously wrong or your pump is defective, once again at 150 Pounds I have no problem getting to 5000 psi
Yeah, I don't think it should be that difficult either. I'm 195lbs, and my buddy who is 180 but taller, he can't get it passed 2200s psi without serious effort.

It is an older pump I have, maybe I should break out the spare pump... or just keep using the YH compressor lol.

I have 2 pcps. Both get hundreds of shots a week through each, i fill both every other day. Even if i bought new, i would still be less money than the ammo i have shot in the last year. 22 match ammo is Spensiveand higher calibers even mkre so .lol. Each of my rifles at current tune get 80 and 120 shots per fill respectively. If you can't hunt whatever the hell it is with that, you just should not at all.

View attachment 447485

View attachment 447486
My first and only 6 year old pcp can only do about 80 shots per fill and I only shoot pellets with it. For now, my range is set to only shoot 144 meter / 157y, I still need to make a frame for targets up to 185 meter which is the limit I can go. I don't have a need to buy expensive pcp's so I look to buy a Avenge-x in 5.5m. It is still expensive for the SA economy but that is it, we don't have a choice.
I made a decision to only shoot once a week as it can get out of hand quickly and the other things I need and want to do get behind. Also I restrict myself to shoot one fill / 80 shots and that is it, otherwise I just shoot "aimlessly" and empty a tin in no time.
As for hunting, I don't shoot the small game around the house where the animals are not to afraid of humans, I like them here. When I go out to hunt elsewhere it will mostly be with the .22LR and / or centre fire rifles.

My first and only 6 year old pcp can only do about 80 shots per fill and I only shoot pellets with it. For now, my range is set to only shoot 144 meter / 157y, I still need to make a frame for targets up to 185 meter which is the limit I can go. I don't have a need to buy expensive pcp's so I look to buy a Avenge-x in 5.5m. It is still expensive for the SA economy but that is it, we don't have a choice.
I made a decision to only shoot once a week as it can get out of hand quickly and the other things I need and want to do get behind. Also I restrict myself to shoot one fill / 80 shots and that is it, otherwise I just shoot "aimlessly" and empty a tin in no time.
As for hunting, I don't shoot the small game around the house where the animals are not to afraid of humans, I like them here. When I go out to hunt elsewhere it will mostly be with the .22LR and / or centre fire rifles.
Good for you and your discipline i guess?. I have a farm and a negligent farmer next door, so i have a rat and coyote problem on the regular. I dispatch of anything needed and never bother my dogs.

Yeah, I don't think it should be that difficult either. I'm 195lbs, and my buddy who is 180 but taller, he can't get it passed 2200s psi without serious effort.

It is an older pump I have, maybe I should break out the spare pump... or just keep using the YH compressor lol.
I am 61 and last time I got on a scale was 95kg, I think that is just over 200lbs. I have a 7L 300 bar SCBA tank but hardly ever use it. I use my GX hand pump but then my rifle maximum is 250 bar.

....22 match ammo is Spensiveand higher calibers even mkre so .lol. Each of my rifles at current tune get 80 and 120 shots per fill respectively. If you can't hunt whatever the hell it is with that, you just should not at all.

Best price for Ely Tenex I can find is $.35 a round. NSA 27.5gr run $.08 a round.

Both do 1 MOA at 100y consistently with no wind.

My Apperation cost me more than my Maverick, they are both ammo picky, both will eat cheap ammo and post 1 MOA groups at 50y but I have yet to see a PB do a 20 shot string without opening up!

Airguns simply don't get hot and experience the shot string blowout.

• Love
Reactions: vtl and Scotay42
I sold off all my 22lr save one marlin 60. It will one hole at 50 yards with remington target ammo, which is .10-.15 a round. It rarely sees daylight. All of my pcp rifles will shoot circles around it, and do so without ear pro and costs much less. Added bonus, I can step out of my house and start blasting.

Best price for Ely Tenex I can find is $.35 a round. NSA 27.5gr run $.08 a round.

Both do 1 MOA at 100y consistently with no wind.

My Apperation cost me more than my Maverick, they are both ammo picky, both will eat cheap ammo and post 1 MOA groups at 50y but I have yet to see a PB do a 20 shot string without opening up!

Airguns simply don't get hot and experience the shot string blowout.
True. But again, to some extent. Look at the shot string of my unregulated AEA before I fixed it: https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/shot-my-510-challenger-bullpup.1297761/#post-1575731 I don't have a similar picture of 10/22 Takedown, which is less precise than a regular one, but out of the box it was way-way better. It also cost me a couple of hundred bucks less than AEA.

PCP (Pre-Charged Pneumatic) air guns can indeed be more expensive than traditional firearms. Let’s explore the reasons behind this:

1. Quality and Precision:
    • A quality PCP air rifle typically features a match-grade barrel, an adjustable trigger, and a high-quality action.
    • Some models even boast spectacular wood for their stocks.
    • To achieve comparable precision in a rimfire rifle, you’d need a firearm made by a reputable company like Anschutz.
    • When you factor in the cost of a match-grade barrel and trigger for a rimfire rifle, it can be on par with or even exceed the price of a high-quality PCP air rifle.
  2. Quiet Operation:
    • PCP air rifles operate extremely quietly compared to firearms.
    • This makes them ideal for scenarios where noise reduction is crucial, such as pest control or backyard shooting.
    • The quietness also contributes to their appeal.
  3. Ammunition Cost:
    • PCP air rifles use inexpensive match-grade pellets compared to equivalent .22 rimfire ammunition.
    • This cost advantage can add up over time.
  4. Safety and Convenience:
    • Operating an air rifle is far less dangerous in close environments than handling a firearm.
    • You can safely practice shooting with an air rifle at home without disturbing your family or neighbors.
    • For tasks like pest control in barns or granaries, air rifles are both effective and safe.
  5. Improved Shooting Technique:
    • Due to the longer travel time of pellets in the barrel, proper shooting technique is vital for accuracy.
    • Using a PCP air rifle can make you a better shooter overall.
    • Regular practice with an air rifle hones your skills and translates to better performance with firearms.
  6. Comparing Apples to Oranges:
    • It’s essential to recognize that air rifles are not mere “toys.”
    • They offer 1/2 MOA accuracy at reasonable ranges, making them serious tools.
    • Comparing them directly to traditional firearms is like comparing apples to oranges.
In summary, while PCP air guns may seem expensive, their precision, quiet operation, safety, and cost-effective ammunition justify their price. They serve specific purposes and provide unique advantages that set them apart from regular rifle

Reactions: Scotay42
Well some for sure have become very expensive, and it do not add up at all CUZ one of those do absolutely NOT shoot 2 X better than a air rifle half the price.

Hell i do not like shooting 25 - 50 M much CUZ my friend do that pretty much as good, with what at least on price are toy guns.
So i shoot longer like 80 + Meters, that my friend can do too, but he require a taget 10 X larger to hit it and have horrible groups, where i shot 2" targets and get on very well.

To the OP, maybe to keep out the riff raff?! Who knows? High, exacting quality, in “low volume” is muy expensive, no matter the product. To us in the airgun world it seems that their are many other like minded shooters and product. But worldwide? Or, within the U.S.A.? A very small market with mucho players across the price points. Your question is simply moot and “too” general.🙏

Do you have facts to back that? I have no doubt that there is a decent mark up, otherwise there would be no dealers, but I reall doubt it is 100-200 %.
My guess is that the mark up is much smaller than you think o the guns themselves and the majority of profits come from accessories and ammo where the cash flow continues well after the major purchase is made.

That is how it worked in the resale world that I have experience with.
Yes I do but this forum does not like us discussing things that may rock the boat. Since the info is already here I'll tell you the wholesale price of an impact, around $950 came to light as the result of legal action. If we continue on this topic the thread will likely be locked so let's not mess it up for others.
I have a great deal of business experience and can tell you this is not high mark up when you consider units sold per retail outlet.

To achieve comparable precision in a rimfire rifle, you’d need a firearm made by a reputable company like Anschutz.
I shot with factory CZ457, not mine, 12mm groups at 100 meter and I am not a competition shooter. Even my Winchester 9422 lever action shoots 30mm average at 100 meter with the occasional 15mm group.
PCP air rifles operate extremely quietly compared to firearms.
Most pcp's have a silencer on to make it quiet. A rimfire with a silencer can be just as quiet.
PCP air rifles use inexpensive match-grade pellets compared to equivalent .22 rimfire ammunition.
True, that is why I shoot more with my pcp than the rimfire but my rimfire get shot often. It shoots CCI sv very good.
Operating an air rifle is far less dangerous in close environments than handling a firearm.
If you use low power small caliber with pellets, yes.
Due to the longer travel time of pellets in the barrel, proper shooting technique is vital for accuracy.
The same for rimfire using subsonic ammo.
Comparing them directly to traditional firearms is like comparing apples to oranges.
Apart from ammo cost compared to rimfire, not really. Power for power I think they are in the same class. There are many other factors that can be compared making them different but so do different class pcp's differ as well.

For me the main benefits for some pcp's is low cost of ammo and low power of smaller calibers, which can sometimes be seen as a negative as well, depending on purpose.

Reactions: vtl
Beating a dead horse here but remember shot strings. You get maybe 10 from a pb before it opens up. PCP shoots hundreds, thousands even and groups only grow due to shooter fatigue and bore fouling.
Bigger center fire maybe, depending on the barrel, caliber, the load, and rate of fire you can shoot more. The big problem is barrel life time, also determined by a few factors.
Rimfire not a problem unless you really rapid fire which few shooters do anyway, even with pcp.

This discussion went from cost of pcp to practical comparison to PB, not the question of the OP. If someone insist on comparing, we can bring in real long distance shooting like Mark and Sam is showing and real power like big game hunting at 600 meter and more as well. Each has its place and at the extremes cannot replace each other. Which one do you prefer going to war with? It really became a useless discussion. It is like comparing a 2 seater sports car to a 18 wheeler truck.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Firewalker
Bigger center fire maybe, depending on the barrel, caliber, the load, and rate of fire you can shoot more. The big problem is barrel life time, also determined by a few factors.
Rimfire not a problem unless you really rapid fire which few shooters do anyway, even with pcp.

This discussion went from cost of pcp to practical comparison to PB, not the question of the OP. If someone insist on comparing, we can bring in real long distance shooting like Mark and Sam is showing and real power like big game hunting at 600 meter and more as well. Each has its place and at the extremes cannot replace each other. Which one do you prefer going to war with? It really became a useless discussion. It is like comparing a 2 seater sports car to a 18 wheeler truck.

If you say so....

• Haha
Reactions: Caliber 22
It is useless to compare a firearm with an air rifle. I got rid of 99% of my firearms in favor of airguns more than 20 years ago. It is a frequency of use thing. I'd rather pay more for something I use all the time than have a bunch of stuff I can't use but once or twice a year. I'm a small game hunter anyway. As hobbies go, airguns tend to be on the cheap end of the scale. I look at the money my uncle has invested in his classic cars and realize there is no way I could possibly spend THAT much on airguns even if I had the funds. At the end of the day, PCP airguns cost what people will pay for them. Just like anything else.

1. No powder, but a source of high pressure air. A scuba tank, a hand pump or electric pump (+ truck engine running to operate it). I have a hand pump, which my 200ish lbs of weight is not enough to charge a big bore to even 2/3 of working pressure. And $572 I spent on air pumps is 9500 rounds for 10/22 or 460 for .308, cheapest of course. Cheapest .510 slugs I got was like $0.30. The one I liked was $0.57. .22 pellets are dirt cheap, agree here.

2. Can't shoot the big bore on my back yard either. Well, legally I can, but someone will call the cops.

3. Need ear plugs for the big bore :) Not for .22LR. 9 mm is a stretch, but still tolerable. But boy that .510 AEA barks loud and kicks hard.

4. I buy cheap guns. My AEA had 0.043" of run out out of the box, wasn't able to hit a large paper target at 100 yards after zeroing the scope at 50. Notos I haven't even tried to shoot, it is that bad.

But I get your points. Plinking a .22 airgun on backyard is both cheap and tolerated by neighbors.