N/A Why PCP airguns are so expensive?

Conventional firearms are no different in that process. Thus the question. Umarex is not a boutique shop either. They list about 1000 employees on their web site. Sturm, Ruger is about 2000.

Right now I'm involved in designing a product where software licenses trample on everything else :)
But how many conventional firearms are new and not just copies of already existing products?
And the best I can tell, Umarex products are fine, but are all just copies of sombody elses work.

I used to squat 540 back in the day, but I could only bench 305. That was 20 years ago though and these days my joints can’t handle it.
It's starting to catch up with me now that im in my 40s. Knees and shoulders mainly. Being an electrician, reaching overhead and on ladders all day doesn't help either.

But how many conventional firearms are new and not just copies of already existing products?
And the best I can tell, Umarex products are fine, but are all just copies of sombody elses work.

I have a number of PBs that belonged to my GGF. I have several that are themselves over 100 years old and a whole bunch including an 1892 lever gun I bought brand new two days ago. Designed in 1892 and by John Browning no less. Not to mention a number of 1911 model pistols. Why exactly do air guns have to have a new design every few weeks? That is why I like the Marauder, proven, simple, serviceable, tech support a phone call away and it can still be as viable in 2115 as it was in 2015 just like my new 1892 lever gun is as wonderful today as when first released by Winchester in 1892 and hopefully still being manufactured in 2092. Or the Model 39A Marlin, the longest continually produced arm from the 1890s until just a couple of years ago and probably returning yet again for an encore performance.

It would be really nice is an air rifle costing upwards of $2,000 could hold POI for more than a few pellets. And be made from materials that would keep it useful and serviceable for a 100 years. You know, like a real gun and not a toy.

It's not a cheap hobby. Well... if you're like me your a sucker for a cheap airgun and then make it into a good shooter. I would send back any airgun that doesn't work right away. Not completely true though. My m25 had a fair amount of issues that I fixed. That's the other side of the sport/hobby/addiction. I think you need to check out the dark side! I'm not even going into that realm lol. As for hand pumping. I pumped my only rifle for over two years maybe two and a half. I invested into a compressor and tank and never looked back. But again it's more money...
I have an electric pump, cost me almost $500 if I remember correctly. I bought it first, then the hand pump.

I'm stalking in the woods and want to be able to replenish "powder" on the go, far away from my truck. With my hand pump and my big bore air gun this is not something really possible. The gun w/ scope runs at 19 lbs, the pump is another 7. Not something I want to carry on me all day long.

In fact I invested lot more money into PCP than into firearms...

Reactions: 3Crows
I have a number of PBs that belonged to my GGF. I have several that are themselves over 100 years old and a whole bunch including an 1892 lever gun I bought brand new two days ago. Designed in 1892 and by John Browning no less. Not to mention a number of 1911 model pistols. Why exactly do air guns have to have a new design every few weeks? That is why I like the Marauder, proven, simple, serviceable, tech support a phone call away and it can still be as viable in 2115 as it was in 2015 just like my new 1892 lever gun is as wonderful today as when first released by Winchester in 1892 and hopefully still being manufactured in 2092. Or the Model 39A Marlin, the longest continually produced arm from the 1890s until just a couple of years ago and probably returning yet again for an encore performance.

It would be really nice is an air rifle costing upwards of $2,000 could hold POI for more than a few pellets. And be made from materials that would keep it useful and serviceable for a 100 years. You know, like a real gun and not a toy.
There is no money being made doing this? Everything is create pump out as many units that will sell then create a new, rinse and repeat! Keeps them shareholders happy.....LOL

Like idiots, we all keep buying.........Hmmm, I wonder which new gun will I purchase next?
FX or Daystate?
THE RABBIT HOLE! HaHaHa

Reactions: Scotay42
I have an electric pump, cost me almost $500 if I remember correctly. I bought it first, then the hand pump.

I'm stalking in the woods and want to be able to replenish "powder" on the go, far away from my truck. With my hand pump and my big bore air gun this is not something really possible. The gun w/ scope runs at 19 lbs, the pump is another 7. Not something I want to carry on me all day long.

Why not get a backup bottle and carry that in a backpack? I have a shoulder bag to carry my 3L bottle and a long enough tether line, I can have my gun tethered and the 3L bottle on my back like a quiver of arrows.

I used to spend far more on powder burners than on airguns. What changed things for me was the realization that I did 90+% of my shooting with airguns and that I already had all the guns I really needed, so that anything new that I bought may as well just be about me shooting and having fun. I don't worry anymore about whether I have any practical use for a given gun either. If it'll get shot and put a smile on my face then I'll consider buying it

There is no money being made doing this? Everything is create pump out as many units that will sell then create a new, rinse and repeat! Keeps them shareholders happy.....LOL

Like idiots, we all keep buying.........Hmmm, I wonder which new gun will I purchase next?
FX or Daystate?
THE RABBIT HOLE! HaHaHa

Does China have shareholders?

Why not get a backup bottle and carry that in a backpack? I have a shoulder bag to carry my 3L bottle and a long enough tether line, I can have my gun tethered and the 3L bottle on my back like a quiver of arrows.
Me too. If on a walkabout, I just bring my buddy bottle to top my gun if needed.

As many of these horrid eyesore wind turbines keep popping up everywhere spoiling the view and serenity I might just see if I can run an extension cord from one. Maybe the next step in every day is a new day and new air rifle is one with a built in electric compressor. I am sure a China box factory can find a front company to market one for them. And hype it all up like the hype from certain segments on the AirCoodie.

Reactions: Dr. Kralenstein
"You get what you pay for" How true is that? How about you get the best you can afford at that time.
Another thing is a person can get just as good cheaper,or the same thing cheaper when someone sells that item used. Yes! airguns are overpriced for what they are.I buy used and that helps me.Almost all airguns come up used for sale.Sometimes you have to wait a while especially us left-handed shooters. Why do pants cost so much?Oh RC cars,etc. I want it,and I want it now,and I can afford it now. Me, I'LL wait until I find it used and at a price I can afford. And I do.Because I have a boat -load of great springers to keep me happy:ROFLMAO::eek:

Not as hard as people make it sound like.
If not for my failing health, I would still be hand pumping. I have blown a 4500psi burst disc using a hand pump (because there was a problem with both gauges - gun and pump), so don't tell me 4500psi is too hard to do with a hand pump.

I don't know if this is what NP66 was referring to, but I also know he hand pumped, like me, for a long time.

Again, the ONLY reason why I bought a GX CS4 compressor is that my health is failing, however I STILL hand pump my airguns at times for the exercise and just to prove that there are a lot of folks who claim you NEED a compressor are wrong! (chuckle)

All my best!

Kerry

If not for my failing health, I would still be hand pumping. I have blown a 4500psi burst disc using a hand pump (because there was a problem with both gauges - gun and pump), so don't tell me 4500psi is too hard to do with a hand pump.

I don't know if this is what NP66 was referring to, but I also know he hand pumped, like me, for a long time.

Again, the ONLY reason why I bought a GX CS4 compressor is that my health is failing, however I STILL hand pump my airguns at times for the exercise and just to prove that there are a lot of folks who claim you NEED a compressor are wrong! (chuckle)

All my best!

Kerry
You are correct my friend that is exactly what I was referring to.

Long time ago I only had 200 BAR guns and was happily pumping away, then Tom sent me a Slayer for field testing and I was a bit worried about the 250 BAR fill because I always heard how difficult/impossible it was, then I pumped the Slayer up and I was like " that's it ! "

So when I had the chance to try the 350BAR fill you bet I was all over it and once again " That's it ? "

So because of all the missinformation floating around I never considered high fill guns and was even thinking to run my Huber at 250 BAR max,.....sure stoked that now I know the thruth.

Reactions: BackStop
You are correct my friend that is exactly what I was referring to.

Long time ago I only had 200 BAR guns and was happily pumping away, then Tom sent me a Slayer for field testing and I was a bit worried about the 250 BAR fill because I always heard how difficult/impossible it was, then I pumped the Slayer up and I was like " that's it ! "

So when I had the chance to try the 350BAR fill you bet I was all over it and once again " That's it ? "

So because of all the missinformation floating around I never considered high fill guns and was even thinking to run my Huber at 250 BAR max,.....sure stoked that now I know the thruth.
One thing I have been thinking about since all these higher pressure regulated guns (above 4000psi) are becoming more prevalent and available...

Are the regulators going to last very long with that type of pressure when the working pressure of most airguns is still going to be well below 3000psi, and in lower calibers MUCH lower than 3000psi.

I mean, if heat is the issue (as I have read/been told) with regulators wearing out, then I have to assume that pressures as high or higher than 5000psi in the pressure vessel must have a higher negative impact on regulator longevity.

My Fortitude .177 regulator has been creeping/failing for nearly 2 years, but I have been able to keep the creep at bay by only filling to about 2600psi.

So, that makes me wonder how long regulators will last, unless they come up with a better regulator, with these much higher pressure airguns.

All my best!

Kerry