Why PCP airguns? and not just pure Fire arms?

I live in the communist state of California (born and raised) and I cant shoot or hunt with a powder burner without lots of planning and worrying about breaking some crazy law or taking a long drive. My experience with airguns has always been the same no matter where I shoot, if the law shows up its the same questions, what is it? and can I shoot it? and how do I get one? I have powder burners and they stay oiled and in the safe.

WOW, these are very informative responses. I was not aware of the details in regards to firearms in the UK and Europe over all. I also too agree with a majority of your responses including for the most part “the legal issues” as I too live in the communist state of California which is not a fire arm friendly state. Fire arms are heavily regulated here, No supressors, 10rd mags only, shooting at a range only etc..We have a limited number of fire arms and rifles that we can buy in CA also, due mainly on the DOJ roster for handguns. As opposed to Airguns, we can own anything and shooting them in the backyard is ok. Reading your responses backs up what I had in mind, by buddy at one point was making me regret paying recently a near 3k on an airgun. I was contemplating on cancelling my order and put one down for a CZ Bren 5.56 but was also dreading on driving 1hr away in to the mountains to shoot it, the ammo cost, cleaning it, etc…

The costs of ammunition on PB’s is also one that I picked up on when I bought 50rds of .22WMR, which turned out to be $24 dollars. I think I spend 230 dollars on the range in one day after getting my .22lr rifles. One thing that I did pick up on about my friends fire arm addiction is that he is always broke. I think its because he goes to the shooting range 3 to 5 times a week, not to mention the collection of rifles and pistols in his bedroom. Fire arms will do this to you as they are dangerous……….to your wallet that is.

I am going to show my buddy this thread and see what he thinks. I am gonna convert him into a airgun nut instead : ) it seems to have been working ever since he shot my .25 cal Impact. He was impressed with the quietness of it and the power that it puts out, amazed at the .25 and .30 cal size of pellets that it can shoot. If you guys have any more to add in regards to legality in other countries such as Canada, Europe, let me know

Mark

I own firearms and airguns. I use both because there are times that a firearm is just to much power. If I have a starling land in a tree on my property then I can safely shoot it without worry of over penetration and a bullet traveling for a long distance if it doesnt hit someone or something. Also if I have a coon outside my house at night I can shoot it without a bunch of noise waking people in the house up or scaring them. I enjoy both and use both based on the type of shooting I want to do.

Being in California any kind of shooting is more challenging but with PCP's I can shoot in my backyard because they are so quiet. I can also go to the range and like others have said just shoot and have fun for a very low cost. One big thing is that with any air rifle you can spend all your time shooting NOT cleaning. When I shoot my pistols or rifles, I will end up spending more time at home cleaning them than I did shooting them and that alone makes a PCP or any air gun a no brainer to me....

For me, it is the ability to shoot in the back yard and not have to go to a range. It is convenient and I get to shoot a little everyday. Air guns are quiet, even in the larger calibers and air gun pellets have very poor ballistic coefficients and that is not a negative. It means that they just fall out of the sky quickly and are much safer to use in an urban environment. Air guns are also amazingly accurate. Every bit as much as a powder driven weapon over short distances.

Got back into pre-charged in 1999 due to shoulder surgery needing trigger time.

Discovered tiny-bore around 2006 ( and FT ) and it was over. 500 shots a day easy to do, target.cans, squirrel, practice, fun, more, anohter tins, must ration tins, must buy full cases,... . I woild not have had thee cash to shoot that much with any bp.

My long range shooting got much better.

Not certain why, never tried to apply any equivalency or such, just lot's of high wind long ( for .177) range fun shooting. At 110 yards w/12fpe a pellt only penetrates a color change target on cardboard 70% of the time. Wind and extreme holdover with that set up is just SO satisfying and fun and everything about technique counts, guess that's the transfer between bp & air? Low bucks, no hearing protection, greatly reduced range hazard with diablos.

And a good airgun on a good day ( naturally w/good shooter ) can put 5 .177 pellets inside a .22RF hole. You just need to do tht once and y'all well be instant friends or they'll all move away from you, hum.

Big-bore , novelty 99% of the time, some people have actually hunted everything every other way. 

Airguns. Shooting with others. I have never even heard of any other competition where the vast majority of people you would want as friends and neighbors. Just the nicest people at the GOB FT club in TN. Must have met 100+, would have any of them stay in the house. Pretyy outstanding for these modern times.

The pole really is it after the first 100,000 pellets. 

John

old post

seems to be talking about:

https://airgunlaws.wordpress.com/2013/11/14/international-state-county-municipal-laws-ordinances-on-air-rifles-pneumatic-weapons-spring-guns-2/

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/airgun-laws-ordinances-an-un-official-guide-for-air-gunners-worldwide/

I have both and love both. I started with airguns as a kid and when I became of age, I got into firearms. I was amazed at the accuracy when PCP airguns came out and got hooked. I still will not get rid of any of my firearms. Especially during this political climate. I have thousands of dollars invested in them. AR's, AK's, lever actions, pump actions, I love them all because I love shooting and I don't regret buying any of them because I did my research. As a matter of fact, my next PB is going to be a CZ Scorpion Evo 3 pistol with some upgrades. I do shoot my airguns more than I do my firearms though because of how quiet they are with a moderator. 

Yep. The ability to target shoot in back yard...or to eliminate a pest....quietly. It's more than just the low noise, accuracy, etc. Air-gunning requires a certain level of engagement given the inherent complexity (compared to PBs) of the platform, energy production/storage, and pellet ballistics. Not to mention they just look wicked cool be it a wood or synthetic stock. To me it's the difference between gas and charcoal grilling...one takes a little more user engagement but both have their uses. =)