• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Why (or why not) a Crown VP vs a Dreamline w/ a bottle?

I've not pulled the trigger so to speak on any airguns for quite some time. (I have an older Beeman R10 .20 springer and an Anschutz 2002 .177). But have been looking at buying another nice quality PCP hand have been leaning toward an FX. The Impact II is just a bit too spendy especially when one needs to supplement the gun with a compressor and SCBA tank. So I was leaning toward a Dreamline and then saw the Crown VP. The one negative seems to be the barrel sleeve and need for the adapter to attach a suppressor on the Crown. Plus I don't know enough about the guns to know if one has some plusses over the other. And it doesn't seem that the Crown VPs are flying off of the shelves which implies that there may be some reason for that. Anyway, I'm still doing my research and thought I'd throw this out here to see what others' opinions might be.

I have a Crown Continuum and a Dreamline Classic. Power wise, they are about equal, but the Dreamline does have the Power Plenum installed. The Dreamline action is more refined, IMO, and has a much smoother, lighter feel when cocking the rifle. My Dreamline has the 600mm barrel, so it's quite a bit longer than the Crown with the 380mm barrel. Accuracy is the same with both, pretty much pellet on pellet at 40 yards. My Dreamline has the Black Pepper Laminate stock, the Crown has the Synthetic stock, so it gets taken out to the field and the Dreamline is pretty much shot from the bench, but that's just me!

I don't think you could go wrong with either one. The Dreamline is much more versatile and can be reconfigured in a number of ways. They both use the same magazines also. The Continuum does have a different breech set-up than the regular Crown in that is has a Picatinny Rail and 4 grub screws (2 on either side of the breech) that secure the barrel. The advantage being you can change barrels without removing the scope.

If you did decide to get the Crown VP, the Aluminum tank can be swapped for the 480cc or 580cc CF Tank at a later date if you wanted to drop some weight or increase shot count. Those tanks also fit the Dream-Lite and Dream-Tac if you went that route. I have a Dream-Tac on order, I also have a smaller diameter 300cc CF Tank and the Folding stock adapter used on the Compact Dream-Tac. By swapping the 500cc aluminum tank to the smaller 300cc CF tank, I will be able to use the shorter 380mm barrels from my Crown Continuum and will have the capability of converting a regular Dream-Tac to a Compact Dream-Tac by just swapping the tank and the barrel. That's the kind of versatility you can get from the Dreamline series!