• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

why no hollow points ?

1576772238_17181848695dfba28e9f0c45.32277608_Screenshot_20191219-111642.png

Hollow points in pellet guns are still effective and do expand nicely at the proper range of -50 meters, a bit further for slugs.

If you go to the various air gun shops online here, you will find a wide selection of hollow points.

The JSB "Hades" is the current hot item. Although not a hollow point, it does have a nice triangular design that spreads out upon impact.

Hoot

You mean slugs/pellets with no hollow point right? 

Hollow are meant for hunting and for killing fast, hollow point do that (and variations on HP). No hollow point makes less harm (but can be very effective), unless you are looking for more penetration, for example if you are shooting a HOG in the heart you need a good penetration before expansion since the skin can be 1 inch thick. (a real armor) 

Anyway long story short, hollow point is more effective taking small game down if you fail vitals, since they expand and might even fragment with more chances to kill fast (if you hit vitals, does not matter what you shoot). Probably there are other reasons too.

Edited: Now I get the question better

Great, I am getting educated.The penetration example makes perfect sense; I can see the importance of matching the pellet or slug to your game, Plus the velocity gun is shooting projectile at and distance you are shooting...So for it all to come together you need to know what you are doing.

Now I am wondering if there is a chart that shows best effective range of hunting slugs or pellets....I guess the retained power that the projectile has under the various hunting conditions;oh and that is why it is a good thing for shooters to put that data up for others to see and learn from..... I may have gotten off subject...again.

Boscoe, I sort of asked that same question a week or so ago, where if there was a chart somewhere that showed in detail, separated by caliber, what pellet works best and at what speeds. What came about this was I was tuning my Wildcat for high speeds, and my go to pellet has always been the H&N Barracuda Hunter Extremes. I already know what that pellet is capable of doing at around 850 FPS, but how about 930 FPS? 

Yes, it would be sweet to see a chart that says “25 caliber 28.40 grain Barracuda Hunter Extremes tested to show the best performance in both accuracy and terminal performance in speeds of 840-890 FPS range.”

then i I know not to waste my time, pellets, and air trying to achieve the unachievable.

Not sure I understand the question. Plenty of hollow points out there. Even the Polymags are considered hollow points, with a polymer tip to aid in penetration and expansion. That's just pellets, lots of slugs available as hollow points, with the new FX Hybrids being the Hollowest of them all (far as I know)

I think the skenco may be the hollowest of the hollow.

1576827116_13308054905dfc78ec21aba1.73207122_2E657A07-6413-40D7-927F-0C936EB27903.jpeg

@Edosan. I have used the h&n Hornets in 25 caliber to drop javelina at 45 yards with an ear shot. Very effective and usually anchors them on the spot.

Hornets are great, those are like hollow points with a tip. You will drop dead with any amo with an ear shot (nice shooting).

Anyway hollow (slugs or pellets) or hollow variations (like hades) make more damage. Does not mean that will kill more. In the right spot a domed or no hollow, will kill the same.