• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Why no Electronic regulators?

Electronic regulators?

Or at least, electronic assisted regulators. A Google search seems to show that in airguns they are not really a thing.

The problem with current regulators is that the valve closing force in the ‘shut off’ zone is very small and they all creep up to a point when they become fully closed. This may be a couple of seconds it may continue for days. Also the bottle pressure is trying to open the valve and so will influence to some extent, the final pressure. Hence why FX use 2 regulators in series.

Imagine if a small solenoid helped to open the valve and therefore eliminated the mushy area where the valve is almost shut.

Creep would be eliminated as would the bottle pressure influence. Plenum refill time would also be reduced.

I’m sure it’s not beyond the wit of manufactures to make a system that is reasonably small. Depending on the strength of the solenoid, the plenum pressure could be adjusted by a few bar.

Daystates ARE NOT electronically regulated ... there system operates at what ever the actual tank pressure is at.

Just an FYI
I don't think he said anywhere that the Daystates are electronically regulated. Some use Huma regs so saying "there (their) system operates at whatever the actual tank pressure is at" isn't quite ACCURATE.

Reactions: Stone02
Like you said, there are no technical barriers…electronic regulators are alive and well in industrial applications. Just a couple of examples:
https://kellypneumatics.com/product/electronic-pressure-regulators/
https://www.enfieldtech.com/Solutions/Pressure-Control

With the necessary will, someone could very well introduce an AG with an electronic regulator. I suspect the reason we don’t see them is simply because of the market potential. High price and small number of customers willing to pay the higher price. Really and truly, a few bar of pressure swing is a complete non-issue when an AG is adjusted to a reasonable state of tune. Being able to eradicate it completely would scratch an itch for a small number of curious enthusiasts and competitive shooters with deep pockets.

Reactions: Stone02 and Yorkie
Like you said, there are no technical barriers…electronic regulators are alive and well in industrial applications. Just a couple of examples:

With the necessary will, someone could very well introduce an AG with an electronic regulator. I suspect the reason we don’t see them is simply because of the market potential. High price and small number of customers willing to pay the higher price. Really and truly, a few bar of pressure swing is a complete non-issue when an AG is adjusted to a reasonable state of tune. Being able to eradicate it completely would scratch an itch for a small number of curious enthusiasts and competitive shooters with deep pockets.
another battery eater !

Because MECHANICS create a regulator not PC boards & electronics.

Daystates ARE NOT electronically regulated ... there system operates at what ever the actual tank pressure is at.

Just an FYI
I had a Daystate Redwolf for a few days. I know very well how it works. Totally useless. Long list of problems, the regulator and its measurements just 2 of them. It read 35 bar when I de gassed it FYI.
Anyway I was not talking about them at all.

I would agree except for my latest gun. RTI Prophet 2. It has balanced valve. The hammer has very little influence; it’s all on regulator pressure so it’s fairly critical and RTI regs are not well known for being excellent.

The reason for post - I am tempted to have a go myself. A few grams pull on this pin at the top of valve will release more pressure and can therefore be accurately tweaked by a microcontroller. The solenoid could be on a leaver so only need a few grams. It’s really not that difficult and any manufacturer claiming the first electronic valve could sweep up for the many who will always spend for the latest tech.

FC2427FE-364A-440B-A8D2-98915E751156.jpeg

Perfect solution to a nonexistent problem.
Not...paying much attention to the forum are you ?

I guess I've been pretty lucky. I've not had but two guns with any...sort of leak, and it wasn't the regulator in either case. I've been using a small piece of tape on the pressure gauge to keep track of the pressure when last used.
My RTI, Prophet Compact had the rear fitting leak (repaired), and just happened, my Weihrauch, HW100 Bullpup has a major leak, possibly at the cylinder valve in the receiver block (waiting for o-rings).

Mike

I've read it.

If you think you can make the perfect non-creeping regulator then go and do it. You'll be very rich.
I don’t think I can make a perfect one. I think I can make a functional prototype if a bit bulky, should I choose to invest time on it. A team of airgun company engineers could easily do it.
I could not make a fortune as it could not be patented and I don’t have an airgun factory.

I don’t think I can make a perfect one. I think I can make a functional prototype if a bit bulky, should I choose to invest time on it. A team of airgun company engineers could easily do it.
I could not make a fortune as it could not be patented and I don’t have an airgun factory.
Well then, let's just agree to leave it to the experts then.

this post reminds me of the fire service. the USA has not changed much in the fire service since it’s start. Most firefighters shrug off new technology as it comes out, even if it would save lives. Hence the reason most of us still wear leather lids!

if You don’t want an electronic reg, it’s simple. Just don’t buy one. This doesn’t mean it wouldn’t be beneficial to our hobby and the evolution of our rifles. I say GO FOR IT!
at some point, one of the larger companies will give it a go (my monies on daystate)

I don't think he said anywhere that the Daystates are electronically regulated. Some use Huma regs so saying "there (their) system operates at whatever the actual tank pressure is at" isn't quite ACCURATE.
Good catch on an omission .... Electronic Daystates
Indeed they have conventional Regulated models 👍