Umarex Why No .177 Notos?

The Notos seems perfectly suited to .177. It seems to me the Notos shoots a "lowish" velocity, and has a "lowish" shot count. Making it in .177 would increase both, and with the bottle mod, should make a huge shot count in .177.

So, why no .177 Notos? With some of the discounted prices I have seen, I have been tempted, but a .177 is such a no brainer, I have been holding out.

Reactions: oledan and qball
A 177 Notos would be great.

The .177 parts would mean the barrel and the side lever parts, relatively easy to provide from Umarex, if they ever intended to.

I have 2 Notos in. 22 caliber, much better than the Benjamin Prod (have one) or Hatsan Jet (never will have one for that price and poor quality).

But, I do not think the .177 Notos will happen soon or ever.

The Notos seems perfectly suited to .177. It seems to me the Notos shoots a "lowish" velocity, and has a "lowish" shot count. Making it in .177 would increase both, and with the bottle mod, should make a huge shot count in .177.

So, why no .177 Notos? With some of the discounted prices I have seen, I have been tempted, but a .177 is such a no brainer, I have been holding out.
I had converted one back in May, I made a caliber change over kit for .177,.22 and .25 cal. I used a Kral puncher barrel full length at first, was getting 990 f/sec with 7.9 CPHP. I cut it back to 16" and get 935's now. If you want to dedicate a Notos in .177, you can just use the pp750 pellet probe and a barrel change. I have also double tanked it for more shot count.

IMG_0214.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

I had converted one back in May, I made a caliber change over kit for .177,.22 and .25 cal. I used a Kral puncher barrel full length at first, was getting 990 f/sec with 7.9 CPHP. I cut it back to 16" and get 935's now. If you want to dedicate a Notos in .177, you can just use the pp750 pellet probe and a barrel change. I have also double tanked it for more shot count.

View attachment 416381

View attachment 416382
Nice work, what did it take to double tank it?

Nice work & great idea. Looks like you need the full length barrel to be able to fit a moderator though?
Barrel is 17 3/4" (450 mm) with tensioned shroud and air stripper I made. I have a matching cf moderator using Gauntlet buffles. I recently modified the fill probe as don't like looking at the busyness end when filling air.

IMG_0152.jpg

IMG_0385.jpg

IMG_0382.jpg

Reactions: Spikedog and thane
I made an adapter and cut threads M28x1 mm on both sides. Removed the fill port end on one tank and removed regulator on the other tank and the adapter takes the place for both. I used an ASTM rated 7075 material for this and hydro to 6K.

Hi Genob! I've been following your work. Good stuff!

I'm a hobby machinist and I've made mock-cans for other BB guns in the past. I am unfamiliar with HPA, though. When you say you hydro to 6k, does that mean you water tested it to 6k psi? How do you go about doing that? Fill it up with water and pressurize it?

I'll be picking up a Notos soon and following your lead. I have an idea to make a barrel shroud that spans the length of the barrel back to the receiver and matches the diameter of a moderator ( custom made by yours truly ). I got the idea after making a barrel shroud for my Umarex G3 grease gun:

PXL_20221203_184036121.MP.jpg
PXL_20221203_193750347.jpg

Hi Genob! I've been following your work. Good stuff!

I'm a hobby machinist and I've made mock-cans for other BB guns in the past. I am unfamiliar with HPA, though. When you say you hydro to 6k, does that mean you water tested it to 6k psi? How do you go about doing that? Fill it up with water and pressurize it?

I'll be picking up a Notos soon and following your lead. I have an idea to make a barrel shroud that spans the length of the barrel back to the receiver and matches the diameter of a moderator ( custom made by yours truly ). I got the idea after making a barrel shroud for my Umarex G3 grease gun:

View attachment 447319View attachment 447320
Yes, you fill liquid such as trans or hydraulic fluid, (none flammable) . I made a custom hydraulic pump capable to 10K psi with adjustable bleeder valve and the right gauge. It's not just pressure checking, you have to have knowledge in metallurgy to know acceptable expansion and extension limits for various alloy compositions. I was a maintenance manager for one of the top 3 beverage maker before retiring. It's best to just have a dive shop do the hydro otherwise.

Reactions: furiousbob