Why more ?

It seems there are so many guys modifying their guns to get more power, fpe, speed, and many going through great lengths to do it. My question is why not just buy the next caliber or two or three up in size ? Seems a lot of guys are trying to get there .177 to shoot like a .22’s fpe, or 22 shooters trying to shoot .25’s cal fpe, 25 to .30, Why wouldn’t you just buy the “ bigger” gun to begin with ? There must be a reason I just don’t see, as it seems very common. I know now that I bought a 177, that it does not have the fpe to deal efficiently with coons. Now my reason for wanting a “ bigger” caliber, new gun. But even if it was to shoot farther, or “ buck” the wind I would have to think a new gun would be be a better, easier, choice. Rather then trying to modify and get a 177 to do something it’s never going to be as effective at. I do understand “ because we can” guy thing, just wondering if there is more to it I may be missing ? It’s mind boggling what some of you go through to get a little “ more” out of these and figure there must be a reason I just haven’t figured out. 

The journey isthe reward.

Everybody needs a hobby.

It's cheaper than motorcycles, golf, and drinking...maybe.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Jim i am not so sure it is!! I have a couple of entry level pcps like the kral puncher in 22 and yes I absolutely modified it and now it will produce 34 ft lbs of energy and moa at a 100 yards and it was definitely not that way when I got it. I had a 25 cal gauntlet that I worked on, redid the reg, polished the barrel and absolutely fixed that cocking and trigger mechanism as it was meh. Now I have a 25 cal prophet where I absolutely spent 3 times the amount and have only changed some of the cosmetics. So in a nut shell IMO its the journey. Beginning, middle and the end result.

It is just so much fun for me to tinker. I definitely am not trying to achieve a particular result, because if that was the case and if I had lots of $$ to spare, indeed just buying a product that hits the spot out of the box would be simple. 

Honestly the minute my guns are "perfect" and I run out of things to do, will be the minute I set this hobby aside. 

Shooting is fun, but testing, researching, modifying, and retesting is where the goodness lies for me. 

I can easily imagine a more practical focus on hunting or marksmanship as an end goal would change the way the hobby looks entirely. 

I am beginning to understand nervoustrig's perspective on accuracy I have to say. That really is an interesting area to obsess

For me it's a hobby that takes up my time. I feel rewarded when I make a gun more powerful or accurate or lighter. I agree with you in principle that it is more practical to just buy the gun you need and call it good but like jimnm said it's the journey that's the reward. When I was a little boy ai would do any little trick I could to make my bb gun shoot faster. I remember the feeling I got when a bb would shoot through an apple or more often when the impact made a deeper louder thunk! I still get that feeling when I mod airguns. 

Same as hot rodding a perfectly new diesel pick up. What’s even better is to obtain a “sleeper” effect, on the older diesel dodge trucks of the 1989 to 1993 era. “The old man’s truck” that’ll dwarf a lot of the newer sports cars of today. 

But, yes, accuracy first, velocity second with me(I’m sure other modders follow the same suite). Looking at my notes, my 30 cal MK2 wildcat came in at 838 FPS for 26 regulated shots at factory settings, out of the box. I’ve had this 30 wildcat doing 930 for up to 35 regulated shots, so that is a move towards the better. 

Many different reasons someone might want to get the most power out of their gun. Maybe it’s their only gun and they don’t have enough money to buy a new bigger caliber gun . A .177 slug shooting at 1000 fps will take out any raccoon with no problem. It’s not all about the bigger caliber if you’re accurate enough. Some get bored with a stock gun and have and irresistible desire to customize and mod their gun.

It all depends on what type of airgunner you are. I love collecting as much as I do shooting so I have a wide array of airguns that I use for plinking, target shooting, pesting, and hunting.
Practically speaking my huben, sk19, and career 707, fill all for of those categories. But there’s no fun in that! Vintage guns, hammerless, springers, pumpers I like em all

Some of us airgunners have an addiction to pushing the boundaries of what your favorite platform can do. Much like guys who raced motorcycles back in the day souping up platforms that other guys couldn’t understand why they would do that. Sounds like you’re they type of airgunner that likes to buy a gun and leave it stock. Which is fine but not fun IMO. The only guns that I haven’t found a need to modify for more power are the huben and lcs

I would think the main reasons are 

Because we like to tinker, and it’s fun.

and

Because we can, and it’s fun.

Some will say because they want “flatter” shooting but that’s just not true. Airguns don’t shoot flat, even at over 1000 FPS. Others will say “power”, but when it takes a couple of FPE for small game, does the rabbit or squirrel know the difference between 15 or 50 FPE? They’re dead either way, so I don’t think so...

Getting that last 100 FPS, like going from 950 to 1050 with NSA 36.2 grain slugs is an example. At 200 yards and 950 FPS the drop is 66.3 inches and at 1050 it’s 55.9 inches. So about ten inches less jacking it up all that power. The KZ on that rabbit is about 3 inches. And for both speeds the difference plus or minus 5 yards in range and you’re off is 3 1/2 to 4 inches. In both cases with 950 or 1050 you missed unless your range was spot on. Plus wind drift in a 15 mph wind is an inch more at the higher speed.

Shooting a gun at 72 FPE compared to 87 FPE is also much easier for precision shooting. The gun is more smooth, easier to hold steady, and easier to be more precise. I’m not against jacking our guns up for more and more power, but let’s be honest about the reason. ITS FUN. 

It IS fun and rewarding! I have assembled AR15’s since the 70’s —-7.5 inch to 26” barrels and a calibers from .17 to .458 and many handgun calibers. I have not tired of that format to this day although a bad accident left me institutionalized after a year and half coma—-it was when I was bedridden for years that I “met” a guy online (Snipers Hide) who shared his “secret” with me about shooting firearms so well in competitions—-airguns! I knew of good break-barrels but had no knowledge that PCP’s existed. The next 3.5 yrs I spent shooting from my bed out a 3rd story window up to 75yds thanks to you Steve123! I have 9 now and I thought one would suffice! Power, accuracy, and pure fun! One can shoot every day! It don’t get much better than that. I “found”Airgun Nation and Steve123 again after lurking on the Yellow for a few years. I love reading all the posts to get better shot counts or more power. It’s like being at the forefront of new technology or sport! I heard rumors of the Edgun but it was 5 yrs b4 I shot one! I have never sold any and still have my 1st P-rod. Getting to know some of the major players and characters here has been rewarding also. When the firearm ammo prices soar it is comforting to know the airgun ammo is still affordable—-(last month was the 1st time I could not locate certain JSB pellets). A Daystate .30 is my hunting rifle for coyotes but a souped-up 25 Edgun has not failed with proper shot placement. Now with a new Daystate 22 (thanks Dr Mike) that is the most powerful I have ever shot has extended my 22 range far beyond my dreams! And now slugs........!!! The fun and pride never stops🤓

I like to go the opposite way. Guns seem to be a lot easier tame mellow shooting at lower power and noticed they seem happier if that makes any sense at all. None of the screaming weird noises. The guns I had previously hot rodded seem to shoot a lot better backed down. Even a fully WAR power tuned Armada backed down to almost half it's power is more than adequate and easier to shoot accurately. I like the Hatsan Flash in 177 backed all the way down from 30fpe to 18fpe minimum.

I like to go the opposite way. Guns seem to be a lot easier tame mellow shooting at lower power and noticed they seem happier if that makes any sense at all. None of the screaming weird noises. The guns I had previously hot rodded seem to shoot a lot better backed down. Even a fully WAR power tuned Armada backed down to almost half it's power is more than adequate and easier to shoot accurately. I like the Hatsan Flash in 177 backed all the way down from 30fpe to 18fpe minimum.

Well I agree with this sentiment while at the same time I enjoy the sense of power in an airgun firing hard. I have little firearm experience so for me 85 fpe is pretty intense. 

With the talon p I have at 3000 psi there is a little valve lock. I actually enjoy shooting down to 2600 psi (when the valve eases up and the power starts to really kick in). There is a peaceful pleasure to those low power quiet shots and at times when the valve starts opening up I find myself wishing I could extend that low power string by dialing back... wishing there were negative numbers on the power wheel. Of course I can make that happen with a small port. 

I think that for me is the dream. A gun capable of going significantly higher power, but shooting with easy authority at say 30% if its potential. 

Both of my airforce guns are like this for me. Fun to shoot at the bottom 20% of their power. Fully accurate and high power, but a little bit alarming (to me) so more often shot restricted. Nice to have the feeling of upward potential.