• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Why is this cheap scope better than my high priced scopes.

Hello AGN,

I just picked up an $85.00 scope from amazon and it is as good or better than my $500.00 scopes, what the heck? I have a Hawke sidewinder, Hawk varmint and a Bushnell to name a few that are of the same quality. The scope I got is a 4-16x44sf mill dot reticle with push pull locking windage and elevation turrets that are super precise which can be reset to zero the glass is crystal clear, side parallax goes from 10yds to infinity. the scope says made in china by ohhunt. This has to be a Re-branded edition of a high end scope, has anybody found a similar type deal or is this a fluke, are we all over paying?

Thank you,

Jim

May be you just hit the china scope lottery...

China scope production, especially low end, is not known for its quality control. It means they produce to any standard. Many scope may turn out to be crap, but some may be wonderful by accident.

However, while this may apply to clarity and precision, the quality of construction is unaffected by luck. In other words, cherish this scope, if it breaks, your next one is unlikely to hit jackpot...

just my 3 cents :)

Reg, Mike

Don't know. I've owned all you've mentioned and one thing I'll say is I felt ripped off by The Hawke Sidewinder.

I've had the newest Bushnell 4200's, Elites, old ones. I like my old Japanese Trophy & Banner as much as the $476-$800.00 Bushnell scopes.

Unless you are hunting early mornings, or later dusk, night hunts. Maybe have older eyes and need the best glass available. I'm not sure at what point, but at somewhere around the $200-$400.00 mark, I think snobbery gets mixed in with tier 1 glass.

Just an example but Walmart, Amazon, Alibaba. Hand pumps from $30.00 to $199.00 Hill (they finally wised up and dropped their price) that may or may not be worth the $199.00 as a rebuild kit is anywhere from $9.99 for basic rings to $45.00 for complete hardware and ring exchange. LUDICROUS. Buy a Vevor with a 3 year warranty from Walmart for an extra $6.00. Beat the poop out of it, use the 2 sets of rings that come with, exchange if needed.

I don't think Discovery and ohhunt are the same. I sell a ohhunt 3-9X32 AO compact and it seems to be pretty much identical to the Vector 3-9x32 compact, so I'd be more inclined to believe they are the same company The Vector has a very slight difference in the reticle, other than that, same size and same turrets everything. 

The ohhunt scopes seem to be a great value, and they have quite a few nice scope options as well. Glad you had a good experience with yours. Interesting that it looks the same as the Discovery. Makes a guy wonder if these companies are all working together or something 🙂

Have you guys had experience with Vector? I've been really impressed with them so far and their customer support/warranty service seems to be solid.

Cheers, 

Wes

I would imagine that th inning scope is probably produced in the same factory and assembly line as all the other scopes that look like it. It's like the pocket knife world. The majority of them are made in the same factory in tiwain, to what ever companies design and standards. Ohhunt, an Amazon vendor maybe got a great deal on a container of some other companies factory 2ends or rejects. 

I recently picked up a cheap CVlife 4-12 x50 scope for comfortably less than £30. Despite the doom mongers that dis Chinese gear for the sake of it (remember how folk used to dis Japanese cars and electronics? How wrong did they turn out to be!) but I've been genuinely astonished how good it is. If they'd screen printed the word "Hawke" on it and charged me £130 I wouldn't have been disappointed.

My only slight gripe was that the supplied mounts were sheet, but that was easily and cheaply remedied.

I think most people would be surprised by how many things are made in china, it is a big problem for most countries economies. If you look at ten items in your home I would bet that at least eight are made in china. Not to bring politics into this forum but that is why Trump is imposing higher taxes on imports from china, he is trying to make a level playing field for the US and other countries.

Thank you,

Jim

I would imagine that th inning scope is probably produced in the same factory and assembly line as all the other scopes that look like it. It's like the pocket knife world. The majority of them are made in the same factory in tiwain, to what ever companies design and standards. Ohhunt, an Amazon vendor maybe got a great deal on a container of some other companies factory 2ends or rejects.

This happens quite often. Last year I ordered a "cheaper" scope from Amazon, and after it arrived (and some research on my part), I determined that there were at least four different "brands" being sold on Amazon that were manufactured from the same parent company. I do not know if ohhunt was one of them, but I can also assure you that Discovery is not one of them, they are very much their own entity. I would also be shocked if the ohhunt scope were built as well as the Discovery scopes... but I have been wrong once or twice before lol.

This happens quite often. Last year I ordered a "cheaper" scope from Amazon, and after it arrived (and some research on my part), I determined that there were at least four different "brands" being sold on Amazon that were manufactured from the same parent company. I do not know if ohhunt was one of them, but I can also assure you that Discovery is not one of them, they are very much their own entity. I would also be shocked if the ohhunt scope were built as well as the Discovery scopes... but I have been wrong once or twice before lol.

"...I can also assure you that Discovery is not one of them, they are very much their own entity...."

I don't know about the Ohunt scopes but some of the Discovery scopes look very similar to the Marcool scopes. I suspect that both companies use the same supplier. It's common for Chinese factories/manufacturers to supply products to multiple brands. Sometimes it's basically the same design as produced for other companies, and sometimes it's a unique design.

"...I can also assure you that Discovery is not one of them, they are very much their own entity...."

I don't know about the Ohunt scopes but some of the Discovery scopes look very similar to the Marcool scopes. I suspect that both companies use the same supplier. It's common for Chinese factories/manufacturers to supply products to multiple brands. Sometimes it's basically the same design as produced for other companies, and sometimes it's a unique design.

I must admit that the resemblance between those two is definitely uncanny. FWIW, Discovery does have their own factory in China that they make their scopes in. The guy who started their factory used to be a design engineer for Vortex. It seems that Marcool launched about 5 years before Discovery did. Interestingly, the particular model of Discovery scope that you posted here appears to be discontinued at this time... I notice that there are some differences, for instance the minimum parallax on the Discovery was 10 yds, while the Marcool is listed as 20 yds. And the Marcool scopes are almost twice the price. Marcool's production operation in terms of machining looks very minimal in scale (even smaller than Discovery) so I assume that they also gather a lot of their components from other Chinese suppliers.