Why is the Smooth Twist barrel only accurate with JSB ?

I think the answer lies in JSB being ahead of the herd. My experience based on
Theoben rapid mk 1 , Daystate MTC air wolf, Kalibr Cricket, FX Monsoon all .22 all appx 30 FPE 
At a reasonable range of 50 yards all group better with Jsb's, less fliers . At 100 yards the longer range shows up less matched pellet, barrel and head size.
My Rapid was made in 1997 ,before JSB became the de facto standard, and shoots these more accurately ( tighter group, less fliers) than the Bisley Magnums the gun was designed around.
Additionally the Air wolf shoots better ( as defined) with the JSB's. As does my Monsoon. As does my Cricket. Other makes of pellet seem less accurate, as defined.
i don't believe ST barrels are scatter guns as defined. Spending time with different head sizes and consistent testing approach pays dividends. Do all other pellets makers have the head diversity of JSB?
Therefore my reply is I do not believe the ST barrels are scatter guns with other makes but that the testing done is inconsistent and pellets not matched. Probably a scientific answer would be indoor range, same gun, same shooter, 2 different barrels ( 1 ST and 1 normal rifled, match pellets , same start finish pressure, same day. Sounds like a job for young Ted.

good question

safe shooting

Thank you Harry for the referral . A very detailed analysis . I assume you felt the John Bowkett ( legend in his own country) tuned competitor to the standard FX ST gun didn't affect the summary. Have you any thoughts regarding FX own pellets (as per travels4fun post here) would see any improvement or deterioration if they had been used? We truly in this forum are graced with genius by Sir Ted and Lord Harry amongst others.

best regards

Mike in Europe

I don't have any of the FX/Defiant pellets in .25 cal so cannot make a comparison there. From memory Johnny Ottosson found them to be competitive from his FX Elite ST.
I do have the PAX .22 cal in three weights. The 18 gr shoot OK in my .22 rifles including an ST barrel, BSA barrel, LW/FX Excalibre barrel and a Benchmark - but I have not chosen to buy a supply.
In respect of your implied question; I felt that ensuring the MV and ME of the pellets from the two rifles was the same; was in the band I considered optimal for the two rifles at the time; that the conditions were the same, then at the time the comparison had reasonable validity.
Best regards Mike, Harry.

Reactions: looknup
Why is the Smooth Twist barrel only accurate with JSB ?

Answer: This is simply a false statement.

Why are JSB 22cal. 18.1gr pellets most always accurate in a Smooth Twist barrel?

Answer: Probably because of the Smooth Twist unique and inherently great design. And the ability to achieve and hold high quality levels in manufacturing. It also is a statement of JSB pellets having a record of being the pellet to use, or at least try in many different airguns. Many get out of the can great accuracy using JSB pellets.

JSB and Smooth Twist seem to be a perfect match together. The homework has already been done. Just shoot and enjoy.

Honestly there is too much talk about smooth twist barrels. I think the CZ barrels are the best made right now. The fact is CZ barrels shoot JSB the best as well. I look at this as a blessing. The largest pellet manufacture in the world makes pellets that most guns like. I really don't understand the problem. Why make a big deal out of JSB/smooth twist? It's not like JSB pellets are hard to find. I have all kinds of stupid pellets in my garage that are no more than paperweights. Don't waste money looking for different pellets your smooth twist barrels may or may not like. I haven't seen a smooth twist barrel that doesn't like JSB. Just buy enough at one time to get free shipping from PA.

Nomadic PirateWell, some people might not want to shoot JSBs due to Weight and/or Hardness of the lead, My guns shoot JSBs fantastic but I don't shoot JSBs out of them

Do you find JSB are not as effective as other brands for cleanly taking game? Is this just a factor for you when you are taking big game? I never hunt pigs with an airgun so my experience is very limited to just reading your posts. What brand of pellets do you choose?

Even when I don't shoot Hogs, example my .22 shoots JSB 18gr fantastic but I prefer shooting the Baracuda 21gr

......on my .25s I rather shoot Baracuda, Benjamin and EunJin for Hogs, heavier and harder lead.

Now, I'm intrigued by the Impact and I would want a .30 and a .25 barrel but I would never buy one if it only shot the JSBs,.....fortunately we have people like Harry and others that being open minded try different ammo and we know that the Smooth Twist barrel indeed shoot other pellets accurately.

the .30 market for the moment only has JSB pellets but I would expect with the caliber getting more popular other brands will jump in and make ammo.

"travels4fun"As a counterpoint, if the Smooth Twist barrel "only" shoots JSB pellets and nothing else, then tell me why FX sells the FX Smooth Twist pellets?

They are neither repackaged JSBs nor even a diabolo for that matter. They are repackaged Defiants (now H&N Snipers) and are cylindrical.

Dont believe me? Have a look for yourself.
I've seen these for sale on a few sites now and I would like to know if anybody here has used them and if so what do you make of them. They look a bit like those which you can get a mould for. Just smoother at the point:
http://airgunpelletmaker.weebly.com/uploads/5/3/7/2/5372920/6627327_orig.jpg

I don't think the ST barrels have enough bite in the rifling to spin the harder pellets. My Bobcat will shoot all weight JSB pellets very well. H&n and others like Crossman not so much. The crow magnum will miss a 4 foot by 8 foot piece of plywood at 60 yds. You can see them spiral out into space. I would love to see various barrels being available with different twist rates for different pellets similar to firearms like ar15's.

"Phil"
"travels4fun"As a counterpoint, if the Smooth Twist barrel "only" shoots JSB pellets and nothing else, then tell me why FX sells the FX Smooth Twist pellets?

They are neither repackaged JSBs nor even a diabolo for that matter. They are repackaged Defiants (now H&N Snipers) and are cylindrical.

Dont believe me? Have a look for yourself
I've seen these for sale on a few sites now and I would like to know if anybody here has used them and if so what do you make of them. They look a bit like those which you can get a mould for. Just smoother at the point:
http://airgunpelletmaker.weebly.com/uploads/5/3/7/2/5372920/6627327_orig.jpg
Phil

I bought a tin of the 16 gr FX Smooth Twist pellets and found they performed about the same as the 15.9 gr JSB Exact Heavy pellets out to 30 yards from my .22 Air Wolf when set to low power (around 30 ft lbs). Beyond 30 yards and I noticed more flyers using the Smooth Twist pellets compared to the 15.9 gr JSBs.

On hi power (36-38 ft lbs), the Smooth Twist pellets didn't do so well. I believe they were flying too fast and becoming unstable resulting in shifting POI and even missing the target all together. The 15.9 gr JSB on hi power did marginally better though not by much.

I haven't tried the 18 gr FX Smooth Twist so I can't comment on them. If I come across some for sale, I'll pick a box up to test. In the meanwhile, here are some pics of the 16 gr Smooth Twist pellets I bought:

Black Plastic Tin:

Pellets and Tin (notice the pellets are enclosed in a bag)

Close up of pellets: