• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Why is the .20 popular for those in the know?

rifle1.jpg

My first Theoben Rapid MKII... .20 cal... First Rapid to have it's trigger upgrade to the Mark 4 Trigger cartridge..
By Allen Zasadny.... If you want to talk to someone who truly believes in the capabilities of the .20 cal... Allen is the man..
He has shot practically every known PCP in assorted calibers....I still loves the .20 cal!!!

The first .20 I own was a Sheridan Blue Streak..... sold my original , but just picked another a few years back... just installed
a william's peep sight.. need to find an original intermount scope rail for it......

Also here is the Old standard for .20 cal..
Crosman Premiers bulk packed...I found my last 2 boxes in my storage ammo cases.
20240217_170409.jpg

20240217_170439.jpg

My Rapid love them...

Last edited:
Many years ago, around 1990, we had a ground Squirrel problem at work. At that time I was able to go to Beeman Precision Firearms in Santa Rosa. Ultimately they recommended a Beeman R1 in 20 cal. That rifle was great out to about 35 yards and farther. I would test pellets for Beeman. They would give me a tin and want feedback how they worked. What I do remember is some of the pellets marketed for hunting were not necessarily the best on small critters. I was so sorry to see Beeman retire and I believe Crossman bought the business and moved it to scal.
And yes the 20 was visicios on ground squirrels. My boss got a 25 cal and it just was not in the same ballpark. Obviously today with PCP’s it is a totally different world. I do miss that springer at times.

Reactions: Franklink
Have a Sheridan Blue Streak for really close to 40 yrs. For the first 10 yrs or so
i shot more rabbits and other small game than i ever have with a 22 rim fire rifle.
It always performed very well to say the least .
That's my initial attraction to the caliber .Since then added a couple more Blue Streaks
to the collection. Had Tim Murray do steroid conversions to my old gun and a newer model
a couple years back.Which is a great jump in power for the old Sheridans and highly recommended.
Most recently grabbed a 12' barrel to drop in my Air Force Talon SS
Really would like to pick up a HW97K or a R9 would be great additions to my springer collection.

Reactions: Hapo
For those saying .20 pellets are hard to find, took maybe 5 minutes to find these and of all places, Hatsan USA, who also has a 20% discount currently in effect for H&N pellets. The code is HN20.

I think "hard to find" is measured more by if you can't find them at Walmart. "Impossible to find" is measured by whether or not you can't find it anywhere on the internet.

Reactions: dv8eod
I think "hard to find" is measured more by if you can't find them at Walmart. "Impossible to find" is measured by whether or not you can't find it anywhere on the internet.
I don't think it's the Walmart thing. They've at least done a little homework on the caliber, know it's not something they'll find at Wallyworld and they're going to have to look online.
Likely more to only seeing 1 page with 4 or 5 choices on retailer webpages vs the multiple pages they see looking at .177 or .22, which tends to be the usual reason shooters give for not shooting .20. Just double checked it at least on PA:
- In .177, you get 148 pellet choices
- In .22, you get 110 pellet choices
- In .20, you get 5
Actually kind of funny since they want that crazy amount of choices, yet come here and one of their first questions is to ask other owners "Which pellets shoot best in yours" so they can narrow the choices...lol.

Reactions: dv8eod