Why is Skout Epoch so loud?

Since my last purchase of Daystate Alpha Wolf Safari went horribly wrong and I'm a sucker for electronic air rifles (Daystate AirWolf was probably the best air rifle I've ever owned) I've turned my attention toward Skout Epoch since it is now out in .25

Most comments states that it is very loud.

Why is that?
Excess air out of the barrel which would mean that it's not economical with air
Badly designed original moderator
Something else...

Anyone in the know that could provide a clear answer?
I did try to search but came up short on the subject

Reactions: orangeokie
Moderator design .. INDEED part of the issue IMO.
SIZE of valves Throat / Transfer path .. Indeed part of the issue IMO.
Calibration of the Spool return spring strength. as well Vent jet size creates excessive Dwell in the calibers under .357 IMO.

Corrected all 3 shortly after getting my .30 Skout & been very happy since with a very low shot noise & increased efficiency.
Some of this is outlined here: https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/skout-epoch-share-and-discussion.1286203/post-1507390

My R&D to improve gun starts @ post #47 on page 3 & full spec as of current on post #142

Last edited:
I can't concur with these thoughts. My new Skout in .25 is certainly no louder than my RAW, Daystate, or FX rifles.

The main control logic’s are electronic so should be relatively easy to make modifications and reduce the dwell. When @Motorhead first got his it was needing hearing protection/22LR loud. After his modifications it is MUCH better, still not backyard quiet but huge improvement so it can be done.

Since my last purchase of Daystate Alpha Wolf Safari went horribly wrong and I'm a sucker for electronic air rifles (Daystate AirWolf was probably the best air rifle I've ever owned) I've turned my attention toward Skout Epoch since it is now out in .25

Why is that?
Something else...

When equipped with the stock moderator, my .30 cal Epoch is actually only 2-3 db louder than my .25 cal M3. The perception of it being louder comes from the proximity of the shooters ear to its valve, which is ENORMOUS by comparison to the ones found in most air rifles. So, although it IS louder for the shooter, when measured from the front and/or side of the muzzle end of the gun, it is only minimally louder.

Reactions: MysticalDragon
I can't concur with these thoughts. My new Skout in .25 is certainly no louder than my RAW, Daystate, or FX rifles.
I'm waiting for the resolution on DS AWS return and when it's done, I'll get the Epoch in .25 and will report back here on the noise levels 1m (40") from the muzzle at some 30° to the side as I usually measure with dB meter.
I have the data for at least 4 or 5 of my last air rifles so it should be easy to compare

Moderator design .. INDEED part of the issue IMO.
SIZE of valves Throat / Transfer path .. Indeed part of the issue IMO.
Calibration of the Spool return spring strength. as well Vent jet size creates excessive Dwell in the calibers under .357 IMO.

Corrected all 3 shortly after getting my .30 Skout & been very happy since with a very low shot noise & increased efficiency.
Some of this is outlined here: https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/skout-epoch-share-and-discussion.1286203/post-1507390

My R&D to improve gun starts @ post #47 on page 3 & full spec as of current on post #142
I've read almost all posts in that thread but unfortunately my English is not that good to understand which parts exactly did you modify in which way
I do understand the concept but to pin point the part of the air passage you've worked on is a bit fogy to me.

On the other hand, I don't have it in hands yet so maybe it will be clearer to me when I get it and take a peek inside.

Maybe you could make some kind of picture manual on the modification made to date.

I've read almost all posts in that thread but unfortunately my English is not that good to understand which parts exactly did you modify in which way
I do understand the concept but to pin point the part of the air passage you've worked on is a bit fogy to me.

On the other hand, I don't have it in hands yet so maybe it will be clearer to me when I get it and take a peek inside.

Maybe you could make some kind of picture manual on the modification made to date.
Being whats been done is purely self done R&D going after a perceived issue that some may see as not an issue at all ?
Nope, only written conversation on that one ... Sorry

If at some time you get hands on one, it would all make sense. AND ... as production moves forward some specs may already have been updated ?

This thread and whats done fits what EPOCHS we received in early production ... if it could be applied long term or not have no idea.

At RMAC the Wednesday before everything started was a free day to register and sight in. I happened to be sighting in next to team Skout- the owner and three of the machinists. Those guns were quiet!! I was very impressed with the rapport, and with the newly added bracketry for adding a cylinder weight up front, I was totally in awe of this platform. The owner/designer was super cool to chat with, also.

At RMAC the Wednesday before everything started was a free day to register and sight in. I happened to be sighting in next to team Skout- the owner and three of the machinists. Those guns were quiet!! I was very impressed with the rapport, and with the newly added bracketry for adding a cylinder weight up front, I was totally in awe of this platform. The owner/designer was super cool to chat with, also.
Agreed, a very nice group of people they have there!

Very interesting! Sounds like they are improving their guns, which is a very god thing!

Why is that?
Something else...

what happened with your purchase of the alpha wolf safari?