• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Why is my Game so inaccurate?

I’ve had a Game Whisper Tac (I think it’s called) for a couple years and may not have 100 shots on it. I’m shooting Crossman 10.5 gr Ultra Magnum round nose pellets and at 15 yards they’re all over the place. I have a Hammers 3-9x40AO scope on it.

Are the pellets I’m using not any good or has it not been shot/broken in properly? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

There are so many reasons that I am not going to try to list them now but I will relate this experience that I had recently with my brother's Gamo Whisper. His had a stoppage that I fixed and I went to check the zero at 20 yards with 10.5gr Crosman Premier Domes, and shot a 4" group, 3" off to the left at about 10 o' clock. I knew this gun had been shooting dime sized groups at this range using the Crosman 7.9gr HP pellets, but I didn't have any. Another brother of mine, witnessing this group happening, was telling me to change the scope settings. I told him, not a chance. I brought the gun back, grabbed his pellets and shot a dime sized group, dead on at 20 yards. The pellets really, really matter! Some guns only shoot well with one. Buy all the sample packs you can find and test them, it is eye opening. Of course, it could be a tuning issue with your gun, but trying different pellets never hurts.

Hello;

I also have a Gamo Whisper. I was ready to wrap it around a tree till I tried H&N barracuda pellets. I can depend on half inch groups at 25 yards now. I test other pellets and all that I have tried failed to hold up. I find that the rifle is not as hold senestive as my other guns,I think the poly stock may have something to do with this.

My 2 cents

God bless 

Bobby

Sampler kit from Straight Shooters. Bit pricey with shipping, but not near as pricey as buying random tins of pellets then finding out what you bought still isn't that great. Has 25 of each of 18 different brands/styles/weights of .177 pellets in it and would help give you a better idea of what may shoot well in your rifle to buy more.

http://www.straightshooters.com/straight-shooters-full-pellet-sampler-.177.html

They also have them in .22 and .25.

I have a Gamo (multi shot) Swarm Fox 22, a Swarm Fox 177, and a Whisper 22. You must find the right pellet. While Crossman's may work in your gun, there are much better precision swaged pellets, like JSB's, H&N's, RWS Match, Nielsen Specialty slugs, FX. Swaged pellets are much more uniform, there greater accuracy. Match grade are usually hand picked and weighed. Check Pyramid Air and AIr Gun Depot for the good stuff. 

Sampler kit from Straight Shooters. Bit pricey with shipping, but not near as pricey as buying random tins of pellets then finding out what you bought still isn't that great. Has 25 of each of 18 different brands/styles/weights of .177 pellets in it and would help give you a better idea of what may shoot well in your rifle to buy more.

Actually that's a very good price for 18 different types. But the shipping sucks.

Actually that's a very good price for 18 different types. But the shipping sucks.

No argument from me..lol. On the flip side, try buying say 8 different kinds of pellets from PA. Even with the buy 3 get 1 free deal, that still leaves you trying to decide which of ALL those choices in .177 you're going to pick for your 8, then wonder if 1 or 2 of the other 10 kinds in that tray might have been a very good one.

These are hand picked by 13 year old virgins, gotta be tight... .001 gram = 15.43 grains, so it is +/- .015 grains. C

match.1600295059.jpg
match pac.1600295070.jpg

I’m also not a fan of the pellet sample packs. I have 4 177 Gamos right now and had several previously. I have found that they’ll all shoot one of the following 177 pellets accurate enough to have that gun win you over imo: JSB RS, JSB Exacts, HN FTTs, Crosman Premier brown box 7.9. None of my 177s liked heavier pellets. Many people who haven’t messed with airguns for a long time are always a bit shocked to learn how much pellet choices can effect accuracy even at short range. 

Now there is a small chance you got a lemon but I wouldn’t make that conclusion yet by a long shot. I own so many different pellets right now in 177 and 22 simply because I’ve owned inaccurate airguns (not gamo) and had to try everything I could before admitting defeat. Now I almost exclusively use the above mentioned pellets for 177.