• The Airgun Nation App is ready for iOS users! It should be available for Android users any minute! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Why is my 2nd fill so damn dirty on my yong heng only after 15 minutes

I need to know if this is okay to use its secolube 500 Its only been in there 15 minutes but its this dark WHATT??, I though the first oil change gets all that stuff , How come only 15 minutes in an my secolube is that dirty is it alright to use despite the color its only 15 minutes old.

dsa43.jpg

It's pretty common for a lot of us! I posted similar questions after my 1st oil change on my YH, using Royal Purple at the time. I switched to Husky on my 2nd change and while discoloration still happened it wasn't anywhere near as bad. Did you dedicate some new oil to flush through before putting the plug in or did you just drain & refill? I always do a flush & it helps.

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
It's pretty common for a lot of us! I posted similar questions after my 1st oil change on my YH, using Royal Purple at the time. I switched to Husky on my 2nd change and while discoloration still happened it wasn't anywhere near as bad. Did you dedicate some new oil to flush through before putting the plug in or did you just drain & refill? I always do a flush & it helps.
I actually did flush it out with brand new husky full synthetic 7 ounces or 6 I then drained it I didnt want to mix my secolube, I spilled it so thats that, Right now I got my secolube an its like black only been like 25 mins on it.

Im not saying this is your issue but I have had 2 "Yong Heng's", the first turned out to be a fake, it had 2 rings on the secondary, high pressure piston and I also got black oil during the first tank fill.

That compressor lasted about 50 hours...

My second one has been running for 170 hours over the past 2 years and still has good pressure and I also took the secondary high pressure head off of it when I got it and yes, it has three rings on the piston and I never had black oil. I change oil every 50 hours and my last change was a dark brown, not black at all and no 'glitter' in the bottom.

Also, you are NOT using high pressure compressor oil, I can just about guarantee you that if it's not "breathing compressor oil", it's not the right stuff.

Last edited:
Im not saying this is your issue but I have had 2 "Yong Heng's", the first turned out to be a fake, it had 2 rings on the secondary, high pressure piston and I also got black oile during the first tank fill.

That compressor lasted about 50 hours...

My second one has been running for 170 hours over the past 2 years and still has good pressure and I also took the secondary high pressure head off of it when I got it and yes, it has three rings on the piston and I never had black oil. I change oil every 50 hours and my last change was a dark brown, not black at all and no 'glitter' in the bottom.

Also, you are NOT using high pressure compressor oil, I can jus6t about guarantee you that if it's not "breathing compressor oil", it's not the right stuff.
If its fake then bring it on cuz I got allstate 3 year insurance for like 20 dollars. https://www.walmart.com/ip/High-Pressure-Electric-Air-Compressor-Pump-50-L-min-110V-30MPa/306365500 this the link I bought from

What rings?
I believe he's referring to top of the cylinder which is the 2nd stage (High Pressure). HP piston should have 3 o-rings instead of 2 if an authentic YH. Beware that undoing the compression fittings on the aluminium HP tubing might get the ferrules inside out of whack & might not seal again when re-installed. If your compressor is running fine and building Pressure don't worry about the oil color too much. That advice was given to me also & proved to be correct.

I believe he's referring to top of the cylinder which is the 2nd stage (High Pressure). HP piston should have 3 o-rings instead of 2 if an authentic YH. Beware that undoing the compression fittings on the aluminium HP tubing might get the ferrules inside out of whack & might not seal again when re-installed. If your compressor is running fine and building Pressure don't worry about the oil color too much. That advice was given to me also & proved to be correct.
Alright so when should my next change be My first once was about 50-60 minutes in I used husky full synthetic, Drained all that added the secolube an ran that about 30 minutes already its very dark but its the dye or whatever, When Should I change it next at what hour mark info much appreciated.

Yeah I aint taking er apart its workin fine filled my 6.8 liter tank from 3200 to 4300 and my new 3 liter tank from 0 to 4350, I remember it would take me hours of handpumping just to make it from 3500 to 4400 on that 6.8 liter bottle, That pump died it was a hill pump mk5 I wore that thing down hard after 6 months the pump died stopped compressing the air past like 80 psi or sumething like that, Glad it happened I moved on to the yong heng an wont ever go back pumps are so weak its crazy they work for small cc tanks but when you gotta do volume its lotta work with a pump.

Reactions: Gerry52
Alright so when should my next change be My first once was about 50-60 minutes in I used husky full synthetic, Drained all that added the secolube an ran that about 30 minutes already its very dark but its the dye or whatever, When Should I change it next at what hour mark info much appreciated.
I think I did my 2nd oil change at approximately 5 hours, more out of curiosity than necessity. 3rd one at about 8 hours. I know some guys say 10 hours but I want to continue to "baby" my compressor. It's worked for me so far.

I need to know if this is okay to use its secolube 500 Its only been in there 15 minutes but its this dark WHATT??, I though the first oil change gets all that stuff , How come only 15 minutes in an my secolube is that dirty is it alright to use despite the color its only 15 minutes old.

View attachment 356166
Chinese quality at it's finest

I don’t know a lot about these compressors in particular but I do know that dark oil doesn’t mean it’s bad and isn’t doing it job. A large Diesel engine will discolor oil rather quickly too but it doesn’t mean it’s bad. Honestly the only way to truly tell when oil isn’t doing its job anymore is to have it tested by a lab. Obviously not practical in the airgun compressor realm.

I think I did my 2nd oil change at approximately 5 hours, more out of curiosity than necessity. 3rd one at about 8 hours. I know some guys say 10 hours but I want to continue to "baby" my compressor. It's worked for me so far.
Wow 5 hours thats great to hear I though it was 2 hours or so, Im babying mine a little too much I think im even sparying a little water on the top nut an the side one where the metal it gets so hot the water vaporizes into steam immediately but yeah Imma do some more fills on it for sure that secolube aint about to be poured out its only got like 30 minutes on it great deal I got mine for 216 thats so damn cheap weather its a fake one or real here is the link, It shows yong heng on the right side of the unit but when I got mine It dont have that 2nd pic it shows it without the yong heng label 3rd one yong heng label is in there so I bought it thinkin yong heng, I heard that someone got a fake unit an the oil turned black quick like mine, Weather or not I got a fake one dont make a difference to me at all as it filled the tanks it works I got 3 year protection an 216 dollars for next 3 years of unlimited air pretty much il take that!, The amount I shoot shot 600 rounds yesturday easy work for the yong heng though 3100 to 4350 on a 3 liter bottle is a few minutes I just topped Im sure 99.9% of the moisture is removed with my setup so thats why I even spray the parts that get extremely hot Im probably babying it way to much for 216 dollars im treating it like royalty putting in oil that costs me half the compressor for a gallon 🤣 spraying off the hot parts. got a fan coming. you might as well try an keep it cool that does keep the yong hengs longevity
1684147894633.png

Subtotal​

$174.19

Add-on services $22.00 3 Year protection plan Taxes $19.82 Total: $216.01= BANGER DEAL fake or real dont matter to me as long as it works an fills to 4350 at proper speeed its a work horse

Last edited:
Well you could take a sample of your used oil and drip some on a clean white paper towel and check for gunk or flakes. Then rub some between your fingers vs new fresh and feel if its the same or if not so slick and thin/ watery.

Then when you do a change pour into a white Coffey filter the same test as paper towel but the full amount.

You could google compressor oil turs black or black fast and read some things on that.

I don’t know a lot about these compressors in particular but I do know that dark oil doesn’t mean it’s bad and isn’t doing it job. A large Diesel engine will discolor oil rather quickly too but it doesn’t mean it’s bad. Honestly the only way to truly tell when oil isn’t doing its job anymore is to have it tested by a lab. Obviously not practical in the airgun compressor realm.
Yeah Imma run it for a good bit like 5 hours at least aint no way im wasting that thats 4-5 hours of filling thats like how many bottles 6.8 liter from 2000 to 4350 if heat wasnt a thing thats like 8 bottles or so easy.

Reactions: Trucker3573