• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Why is it so hard to explain to powder guys hunting with air can be done on larger game?!

And the right tool for the job would be........ ?
Air rifles are great tools for plinking and pesting where the law, safety or noise constraints hinder the use of PBs.

For coyotes and large raccoons PBs are a much more effective tool but HP air rifles will work ethically if there are constraints in the law, safety or noise.

For anything larger an appropriate caliber PB is the right tool. Of course you should only use this tool if there are no constraints with the law, safety or noise. If for some reason you decide to enjoy the challenge of using a less lethal force when ending the life of another of God’s creature when there are more humane options, well that’s between you and your maker.

Reactions: ghoststalker
Air rifles are great tools for plinking and pesting where the law, safety or noise constraints hinder the use of PBs.

For coyotes and large raccoons PBs are a much more effective tool but HP air rifles will work ethically if there are constraints in the law, safety or noise.

For anything larger an appropriate caliber PB is the right tool. Of course you should only use this tool if there are no constraints with the law, safety or noise. If for some reason you decide to enjoy the challenge of using a less lethal force when ending the life of another of God’s creature when there are more humane options, well that’s between you and your maker.
Hmmmm very interesting,

so could you tell me please what would have been a more humane option on the next 3 kills ?

.25 cal Airgun

.177 cal Airgun

.22 cal Airgun

Would a .308 been more humane ?
Perhaps a 45/70 ?........50 cal maybe ?

Just explain to me how more humane an appropriate PB would have actually been.

And btw this is just a minute example of my small bore airgun takes.

Hmmmm very interesting,

so could you tell me please what would have been a more humane option on the next 3 kills ?

.25 cal Airgun

.177 cal Airgun

.22 cal Airgun

Would a .308 been more humane ?
Perhaps a 45/70 ?........50 cal maybe ?

Just explain to me how more humane an appropriate PB would have actually been.

And btw this is just a minute example of my small bore airgun takes.
Nice shots. A very modest muzzle energy of at least 200 ft/lbs would be my choice for these shots. Enjoy…

Would have the outcome been any different ?
From my perspective, given time…very little. The boar’s s perspective, if it matters, might be different. Let me respond with a question back to you. Imagine if you were in front of a firing squad and you had the choice of the executioner using a .177 air rifle or a .308 center fire, which would you choose and why? These type of questions always depend on one’s perspective.

From my perspective, given time…very little. The boar’s s perspective, if it matters, might be different. Let me respond with a question back to you. Imagine if you were in front of a firing squad and you had the choice of the executioner using a .177 air rifle or a .308 center fire, which would you choose and why? These type of questions always depend on one’s perspective.
And your point is ? ...all 3 Boars where Dead on impact, Immediate,
so how would have a centerfire been any better ?
Quantify it for me please.

...and leave the firing squad out since it makes zero sense.

power and caliber aren't as important as precise placed shot.
Absolutely!

My point is if my goal was to kill a boar and had immediate access to a loaded and ready air rifle or 30/30 Winchester, I would grab the Winchester. If my goal was to prove a more personal challenge to myself and others, the air rifle may be considered more sporting.

Yes I can use the air rifle but I should use the Winchester.

”…and leave the firing squad out since it makes no sense”. Maybe not to you but I’m sure it makes total sense to the boar!

In the case of the execution scenario, if it were me, I would pick the .308 if I knew I was going to die in any case. I would also be thankful the executioner did not get to decide and preferred the challenge of just using a very sharp knife.

Back on topic: Use the right tool for the job (assuming the job is just to kill a larger animal, the right tool is a PB).

As far as firing squad executions, a .308 is the right tool for the job.

Last edited:
I have ran into the same problem and yes they think of a bb gun, that is until i pull out the AEA357 big bore topped off with Athlon btr talos 4x14 44mm and what it is capable of, then there in shock and then there's one of the most powerful pcps in the world, Thats a 1450 gr slug. I show them this picture of Chad Simons 82 cal. He has sent me a 1450gr slug and it is huge. my 204 gr 357 cal slug goes right into the hollow point. lol

328630552_1370432983713323_3039012339165510512_n.jpg

327733260_512645794341510_4014474474112078054_n.jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: woogie_man
I have ran into the same problem and yes they think of a bb gun, that is until i pull out the AEA357 big bore topped off with Athlon btr talos 4x14 44mm and what it is capable of, then there in shock and then there's one of the most powerful pcps in the world, Thats a 1450 gr slug. I show them this picture of Chad Simons 82 cal. He has sent me a 1450gr slug and it is huge. my 204 gr 357 cal slug goes right into the hollow point. lol

View attachment 334958

View attachment 334959

I own two air rifles with .22 and .30 available in both. In .22 I have easily killed several problem squirrels, and raccoons (although one big one took a double tap). In .30 I have easily killed several more raccoons and two Coyotes both at less than 50 yards. All of these kills were done with air rifles because of laws, safety and noise constraints.

If it were not for these constraints, I would have used a PB as it is a much better tool for effectively killing. I would have used a .410 shotgun for the squirrels unless I was concerned about damage to surroundings in which case of would use a 22LR. For raccoons I would use a .22LR with stingers. For Coyotes I would use a .223 and not hesitate at 200 yards plus. I lost count many years ago on how many pests I’ve shot with PBs. In my youth I tagged out every season on Deer and Elk (30/30, 270, 30/06).

Yes air rifles can work effectively in several of these cases but PBs are a much better tool if its possible to use them.

I own two air rifles with .22 and .30 available in both. In .22 I have easily killed several problem squirrels, and raccoons (although one big one took a double tap). In .30 I have easily killed several more raccoons and two Coyotes both at less than 50 yards. All of these kills were done with air rifles because of laws, safety and noise constraints.

If it were not for these constraints, I would have used a PB as it is a much better tool for effectively killing. I would have used a .410 shotgun for the squirrels unless I was concerned about damage to surroundings in which case of would use a 22LR. For raccoons I would use a .22LR with stingers. For Coyotes I would use a .223 and not hesitate at 200 yards plus. I lost count many years ago on how many pests I’ve shot with PBs. In my youth I tagged out every season on Deer and Elk (30/30, 270, 30/06).

Yes air rifles can work effectively in several of these cases but PBs are a much better tool if its possible to use them.
For my self and PB I don't have the need to have something that shoots 1 to 3 miles away. The farthest i have shot anything was 144 yards and that was with a pcp and i'll bet ,, i could stretch it out to 200 yards and with a 130gr slug and it's still 202.59 fpe that's enough to take a large deer. Ilive in the sticks,lol

IMG_20221011_165240059_HDR.jpg

Absolutely!

My point is if my goal was to kill a boar and had immediate access to a loaded and ready air rifle or 30/30 Winchester, I would grab the Winchester. If my goal was to prove a more personal challenge to myself and others, the air rifle may be considered more sporting.

Yes I can use the air rifle but I should use the Winchester.

Back on topic: Use the right tool for the job (assuming the job is just to kill a larger animal, the right tool is a PB).
I have a safe full of firearms, and actually by using firearms it would open up more hunting grounds since I cannot use airguns in state lands,....but still never use my firearms for hunting because my airguns get the job done perfectly.

.......and you still haven't answer my queastion, "please quantify for me how a centerfire would have been a more humane choice compared to my airguns in them videos ? "

Thanks

Yeah it's hard to explain to people that are set in there ways but I bet if it were a bow and arrow it would be all right even though most of the bows out there have less fpe than big bore air guns and people can't wrap there heads around the fact that a hard lead bullet traveling 8 to 900 fps will punch threw both sides of white tail or a pig pretty much the same idea of the older muzzle loaders hard cast bullet used to penetrate if placed correctly it is effective

.......and you still haven't answer my queastion, "please quantify for me how a centerfire would have been a more humane choice compared to my airguns in them videos ? "

Thanks
I have never shot a hog or boar so don’t have direct experience but know by reputation they can be tough to drop quickly. In the videos you choose to share two of them dropped quickly but the third video it was not so clear? Not that something similar could happen with a center fire depending on placement. The real issue is how many hogs are running around in these woods with pellets and slugs imbedded? No videos of hogs not dropping? I doubt there are any moving around with .223 bullets in them? I know in my neck of the woods I lost count of how many deer I have seen with arrows hanging out of them. Dozens…

I have never shot a hog or boar so don’t have direct experience but know by reputation they can be tough to drop quickly. In the videos you choose to share two of them dropped quickly but the third video it was not so clear? Not that something similar could happen with a center fire depending on placement. The real issue is how many hogs are running around in these woods with pellets and slugs imbedded? No videos of hogs not dropping? I doubt there are any moving around with .223 bullets in them? I know in my neck of the woods I lost count of how many deer I have seen with arrows hanging out of them. Dozens…
I've seen a deer with a broken dangling rear hip from the torso walking around without complaining. I've seen a deer with every organ from the lungs down spilled out of him and still run 75 yards. I'm just saying that even with powder burners a quick death isn't guaranteed. I always go for a behind the head spine shot to drop them on the spot if I can. You can try for a ethical shot but a powder burner can't guarantee it anymore than a airgun can.

I've seen a deer with a broken dangling rear hip from the torso walking around without complaining. I've seen a deer with every organ from the lungs down spilled out of him and still run 75 yards. I'm just saying that even with powder burners a quick death isn't guaranteed. I always go for a behind the head spine shot to drop them on the spot if I can. You can try for a ethical shot but a powder burner can't guarantee it anymore than a airgun can.
Exactly !!!!!

I would argue that we that hunt with airguns are way more careful with our shots then Firearms hunter that think overwelming power will always bail them out,....but it does not !

Actually all 3 where dead instantly, on the spot.

you go round and round still avoiding answering my question,......How would any cenerfire ( pick your gun ) would have had any better outcome on them vs my airguns ?

Exactly !!!!!

I would argue that we that hunt with airguns are way more careful with our shots then Firearms hunter that think overwelming power will always bail them out,....but it does not !
Accuracy/precision is everything! And yet, MANY people here think that more power negates that... (heavy sigh)

Reactions: Nomadic Pirate 66