Huben Why is .25 not really .25?

Dove into a 2022 Huben K1 .25 and ran into loose Zan slugs which jammed on test spinning the magazine. So what is the deal with .250, .253, .254 ? Is there rounding up or down in general or is this specific to Huben or semi/full auto PCPs? Must be some slight differences between pellets and slugs in the same size(s)?

DSC_0488.JPG

Reactions: Tommy Daddio
When a gun is advertised as a .25 cal that usually means the calibre that it fires, the cross-sectional diameter rounds to .25, so it could very well be .254, etc.

I don't know how the airgun world got to this situation. Suspect it's mostly because of slugs and them being less tolerant of small differences (compared to pellets).

Here’s the thing with airguns that shoot direct from the mag: if the mag chambers were .250 you would not be able to fit pellets. Pellet skirts like JSB are .258-.260. The huben was designed for diabolo pellets. I have a huben k1 with a custom made .250 mag and TJ .25 auto barrel. Pellets no longer fit in the mag unless I channel my inner Lou Ferrigno and jam them in. Unfortunately, with these type of airguns you can’t have your cake and eat it too…unless you use .253-.254 slugs.

Probably more my fault of not knowing the product better before purchasing. :unsure: Just cost me a couple of trays of useless slugs. :oops:

You can resize both pellets and slugs. Pellets are easier, and the smaller the modification, the easier. If you need to resize a slug you'll need an appropriate die to smash it into.

If you only have a few tins of pellets or slugs, it would be easier just to sell your too-small stuff.

Wanna get rid of that Huben ?

There's a ton of info out there for years now about what shoots and what doesn't on Hubens,....surprised the guy that sold it to you didn't give you pointers.
Unfortunately, the owner passed away and the relative had no experience with the Huben. For the price, I took the plunge to try a Huben because of the semi-auto. Did not even think about asking about variations in a caliber, never had the problem before. Yes, I am considering selling as .25 isn't really my thing ... but who knows after this weekend. Finally have some pellets ;)

Reactions: Vortecsix
The diameter of slugs used in the Huben is different than other .25cal slug guns

.250 diameter slugs usually won't fit properly in the stock 2022 guns. you'll want .254 diameter for slugs

NSA have .254 slugs in 33.6grn and 38.5grn that should be fine
Zans have .253 slugs in 33grn and 38grn that some people find useful too

For pellets, just stick with JSB 33.95 grain MK2

I still have those Zan slugs ... first 17 bit marred up from removal. They are headed to the trash or? Pay postage if you want them...I can send pkg dimensions etc, send me the shipping label. Pirateship rocks IMHO.

2 x 200 = 400 ZAN 37 Grain, .25, Hollow Point Slugs

Thank You - ZANs are gone.

DSC_0355.JPG

DSC_0356.JPG

Last edited:
The range ... wind picked up and cold. Just hanging out with a couple of feathered pals. About 53 yards out to those targets - pan, aluminum plates, and old railroad hand lantern on the fence line. The bales have some cans on top. That is my backyard setup off the deck. Lot of times I just open the door, support - lean whatever, and fire off some shots.

DSC_0500.JPG

DSC_0502.JPG

DSC_0501.JPG

DSC_0503.JPG
DSC_0504.JPG

Last edited:
Have to admit, I sort of giggled like a little girl plinking with this Huben K1 .25 this afternoon. Using a POS scope, but I made it work. Ran JSB Diabolo Exact King .25 15,39 gr. Had to reset from closed and have the power wheel at 20 clicks open. The regulator is just below 15 mpa as received. Likely the entire setup needs more tweaking. Everything was good enough to hit the pan and aluminum plates. Then, ripped as fast as I could pull the trigger ... giggle! :giggle: Of the two kids (son & daughter) I still have at home, they REALLY liked the Huben.

Definitely a fun factor with the Huben. Accuracy needs more investigation on my part. Still not sure, but while its still in my possession - using it!

The range ... wind picked up and cold. Just hanging out with a couple of feathered pals. About 53 yards out to those targets - pan, aluminum plates, and old railroad hand lantern on the fence line. The bails have some cans on top. That is my backyard setup off the deck. Lot of times I just open the door, support - lean whatever, and fire off some shots.

View attachment 422649

View attachment 422650

View attachment 422651

View attachment 422652View attachment 422655
Love it …I have something like that at my house….the best therapy session ever.

The range ... wind picked up and cold. Just hanging out with a couple of feathered pals. About 53 yards out to those targets - pan, aluminum plates, and old railroad hand lantern on the fence line. The bales have some cans on top. That is my backyard setup off the deck. Lot of times I just open the door, support - lean whatever, and fire off some shots.

View attachment 422649

View attachment 422650

View attachment 422651

View attachment 422652View attachment 422655
Nice! Have you tried calling coyotes from your deck? Would be a sweet setup if you could call them in from home.

Reactions: ChickenDumpling
no backstop and houses in the near distance might be a concern ?

Yes, depends on what I'm shooting. Had a neighbor shooting a firearm that direction, he is in law enforcement. Not saying I would have followed his lead. With the angles, distance, etc ... I have been okay with what I have been doing, but its a guarantee that someone will not. One of several reasons I'm deep into air guns again. Now, there are some prairie dogs creating a small community just along that far fence/tree line ... temptations, but I will not, least not from my location and direction.

Last edited:
Reactions: MOhunter
Nice! Have you tried calling coyotes from your deck? Would be a sweet setup if you could call them in from home.
Oh, off west and towards the river, there is a ridge line and upper tier houses (prime view). The folks there have taken coyotes off the back side of their lots. I checked with GFP and its not a problem to do so. I have never done any coyote hunting and yet I'm a life long SDakotan. My current location does have a coyote problem. Coyotes must be skittish as I thought one was in our garden, but by the time I was going to take action - gone. My kids caught one just staring down our blue heeler dog (blind) but not within its chained circle. Even with their screaming and yelling it was reluctant to leave - weird. Rattle snakes are a problem too. I don't mind the bull snakes. Because not all share likes, I'm thinking that calling coyotes might call in some neighbors? :unsure: