Why I prefer Rubber Mulch

The question of Duct Seal vs Rubber Mulch comes up every so often. I recently built a very small and portable Rubber Mulch trap. I put a short video together highlighting why I use these instead of duct seal with the hopes of answering some questions while I was at it.

Please remember that this is my opinion only and in no way I think that this is a better option for you. Ultimately, go with what works better for you.

https://youtu.be/W53XTY3lL9M

Reactions: baloo
I use rubber mulch as well. Before summer heat I started using an old box fan with motor removed. Take off front cover, fill with mulch, replace cover, and shoot. Carry handle is built on. This week I walked past my old Yong Heng shipping box and realized it would probably make a good container for mulch with it's thick corrugated walls. It did well for just a little shooting this week and it looks like one could just add a new sheet of cardboard inside the box as a hole gets shot out of the box and fluff up the mulch at the same time but the thick walls seem to hold up well to .177's at least.

What size Hefty Storage bins are you using? Capacity in quarts or liters I mean. You gave the dimensions, but I can't find them at a reasonable price. Thanks.

I have 3 sizes. My LG one is 15 Gallon, I think, Husky brand. About $10. Don’t ever use it, it’s just kinda big. It’s good for stationary shooting, not for moving around. The middle size, that’s in my original video, is 5 Gallon Husky, it’s probably my Goldilocks, just right, not too heavy, but can take 64fpe no problem. $8 @ Home Depot. 

1594598562_16113756155f0ba4a2371c54.54062854.jpeg

The Hefty is meant to be very mobile. Small & light, under $3.50 

1594598544_3691739135f0ba4901bade1.26755048.jpeg

I’m always late to the Christian party, lol!

Intenseaty! I haven’t gotten around to going to Home Depot to get the rubber mulch to do my sheet metal/ bucket target builds yet. All these surgeries holding me back! Just got told two days ago I got another big one, C3 to T2, scheduled for 11-12-20. More Titanium!

I’ll get them built one of these days and see what the rave is with the rubber mulch!!

Home Depot was out of rubber mulch when I was there last week. Will check again ASAP. Meanwhile I just got some regular wooden mulch cuz what the hey, I needed something. Put it in a vertical storage container I got for two bucks at a yard sale and taped a target on it.

When I looked at a tree I had a couple pieces of plywood leaning against which I used for a target for my .25, I saw I had done some damage to the tree. Felt kinda bad about that, so I emptied out my bin, put two pieces of plywood in the back, and refilled with the wood mulch again. Will have a chance to shoot tomorrow, and I'm hoping it's a lot quieter than whacking plywood straight away!

@campfussell Thanks Jimmy, glad you liked it. Be sure to update when ya'll build one. Good to have you back around my friend!

@bigragu Yeah man, the rave is that it works, it's easy, and cheap. I love your ingenuity with your project, but one like I build with a storage tote box can be done in 15 minutes. Good luck with those surgeries, its never fun. Will have to change your handle to Wolverine!

@dingfelder The rubber mulch just works really well because it gives, but still is able to absorb a lot of the energy. I have found the 5 gallon container to be the optimal size for portability and performance. The Husky one I use is a little deeper, and that helps, specially if shooting with higher fpe guns. I suggest a few old jeans or towels until you can get your hands on some rubber mulch. 

@jarmstrong Yeah that works man. The rubber mulch will do the trick just fine. The advantage of the plastic containers is that you can just change out the cardboard when it gets hit too much. It's very easy to replace and no worries about taping it up each time. 

Just built a rubber mulch filled target box for the basement. It has a strap on the back cut on a 45 degree to hang on a similar strap mounted to the wall. One wall strap low and one high so I can also practice my standing shots this winter.

I use old seed signs printed on corrugated plastic board for my front panel. I just made an 8"deep x 12 x 16 wood box with some light aluminum angle i had in the shop to hold the cover.

IMG_20201022_134410.1603502870.jpg

Reactions: baloo