• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Why I hate eBay

• Thread starter Deleted member 46449
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think all you need to do is go get fingerprinted and have your local Chief LEO sign off on the paperwork after a background check and you can then order the pellgunoil and then after the 10 day waiting period you can pick it up from your local FFL dealer. Super simple. I don’t see what’s wrong with this. Without these safeguards in place your state would just be like the Wild West. It would become a lawless place where people are free to lubricate their Crosman 1377’s anytime they want….with absolutely NO oversight? No thanks.

Last edited:
WOW! This is obliviously a hot topic. We went out to eat and I came back to all these responses. A side note. We went to one of our two local Chinese places. Yuck! We'll not be going there ever again.

Ye. Same problem. My wife won't even consider moving away from family. I couldn't care less, about her family OR mine. I'm ready to get back to Texas. I spent almost 6 years at Ft. Hood, came home for a while, then moved back for another 3 years. Then, like a real dipsrtick, let my wife convince me to move back here permanently. Stupid is as stupid does.

Yeah, add me to the list of guys wanting to know if trans fluid is the same as Pellgunoil, and exactly how closely the two actually are in composition.

Chicago has the toughest gun laws in the nation. Not only are residents of Chicago subject to our state laws, they then have additional laws from Cook County, and even MORE laws from the City of Chicago. Now, with all those really stringent laws, Chicago still has more shootings and killings that any other major city in the country. Now, that's all based on population. I think New York and maybe L.A actually have more shootings/killings TOTAL. I'm not really sure where they all stand now. I just know stupid gun laws will NEVER stop criminals from obtaining and using guns. PERIOD.

Well, there is no mention of "gun" or "firearm" in the seller's name. So, I sent him a message a little while ago and got this reply:

"There is maintenance in the shipping address fields, sir, that's why I stated the situation."

I've never seen or heard of that. I did the due diligence I SHOULD have done before I ordered. I suddenly realized the seller is in Turkey. Nothing against Turkey, but I usually try to order ONLY from US of A sellers. There are just way too many chances of problems popping up when dealing with overseas sellers. It's usually not the seller's fault, but just problems with commerce between countries. So, mark that up to my being lax in ordering stuff.

You go THAT right, friend! AND every day I live here causes me more pain and aggravation.

Pyramyd Air says "Notify me when product becomes available. Airgun Depot says, "Coming soon". AoA says, "Product is out of stock". ANd a couple other places were in the same shape. That's the ONLY reason I turned to eBay. I really wanted to buy from one of those places, even the place I ordered my Mod 25 says, "This product is currently Out of Stock, No Backorder".

As for getting the stuff at a local Walmart or big box outdoors store, I live in a really rural area of southeastern Illinois. This entire County has a population of 15,796. Almost all of the surrounding Counties have similar populations. This really is "Hicktown, USA", or Podunk, IL". LOL! We can't even buy a bag of Lay's potato chips at out local Walmart. The shelves in that store are about half full, or half empty, depending on your view. LOL! As for any outdoors stores, I have to drive a minimum of an hour and a half to find a poorly stocked outdoors store. We just don't have the population to warrant any such type of store being anywhere near here. That's why I do so much of my purchasing online. I'd LOVE to buy locally. I just don't have that option, sadly. Even some of the area gun shops have a REALLY limited inventory of firearms for sale. They can't afford to have all that money tied up in inventory when they sell so few guns and a weekly basis.

You know, once upon a time, I could go pretty much anywhere in the eastern half of the county I grew up in and hunt whatever I wanted. My family knew most everybody in that area and nobody was the least bit concerned with who was hunting on their property. The general rule was, if there was already a vehicle parked where you wanted to hunt, you moved on. When you found and area with no vehicles, that's where you hunted for the day. Now, keep in mind I'm referring to the 60s and things have REALLY changed. My dad was a really big coyote hunter. He had hounds to chase them with. When he first got into it, we ran the dogs just about anywhere we wanted, as long as it was at least a couple miles from one of the little towns. The town folk sometimes objected to seeing a 'yote and 3 or 4 dogs having a bloody fight in the middle of the street. LOL! By the time Dad died, we were traveling miles and miles, just to find a place to turn the dogs loose. After Dad died, I kept some of the dogs and my son and I tried hunting. The first time we went out, we were arrested for trespassing because our dogs happened to run a coyote across a 40 acre patch owned by a nasty, old, biddy who screamed bloody murder about the dogs messing up her property. Now, that's no joke. The 40 acres was a corn stubble field. All the crops were out. She lived on a 10 acre plot across the road from where the dogs were. The coyote and the dogs ran ACROSS the 40 acres on the way to a really densely wooded area. If you have ever seen a good coyote chase, you already know just how little time it takes for them to run all the way across 40 acres. We're talking MINUTES. We were still arrested for trespassing and not one, single, human being had stepped foot on her property. This was another reason I decided to sell every conventional firearm I owned. Between being half crippled up, moving into town, and all the buttholes in the world that would have you arrested for shooting a couple of rabbits or a couple of squirrels, there was just no sense in keeping a couple of large closets full of guns.

And after selling all my guns, I have had a nearly irresistible urge to shoot something, any thing, just to be shooting. LOL!

Really! Now, I'll have to do some research into that. I can by a quart of tranny fluid for less than what the Pellgunoil is priced for. That's a WHOLE lot of difference in price per ounce!
Make sure it is full synthetic. Or just go to walmart.lol

I have read a few of the stories about eBay on here. I just had one of those experiences that reminded me of why I hate eBay so badly.

I had searched the 'Net high and low for some Pellgunoil. I found listings on every major air gun website out there. I found that all of them show the product "Out of stock". So, I kept searching and found dozens of listings on eBay. I picked the one with the lowest "price plus shipping" and bought one. That was two days ago. I just got an email telling me that I had received a refund from PalPal. After reading the email, I logged into eBay and there was a message from the seller. It stated that there was a problem with my address. I sent him a message asking what was wrong with my address. Then, I got ticked off. He told me that PayPal won't allow him to ship to the State of Illinois because of our stupid gun laws. No kidding! I can't buy a damned tube of oil from anybody on eBay due to gun laws in this State.

I don't know who to be more mad at or who to holler at. How can ANYBODY be so stupid as to restrict the sale of OIL that might be used on a BB gun because of gun laws? I did have problems buying my Mod 25 last week. The first three websites I tried to buy from told me they couldn't deliver a gun to anyone in the State of Illinois. Yhey suggested contacting a local FFL dealer and arranging to have the gun shipped to them for a fee of $25 to $35. As mad as I was getting, it worked out for the best. The place I ended up ordering from simply required a copy of my FOID card and a copy of my drivers license. Once they had those, they completed the order. I say it worked out for the best because they happened to have the gun priced $25 to $30 lower than any other site I had been on.

But that doesn't compare to a place that has a policy that says you can't ship oil that may or may not be used on a BB gun to someone living in this state. Just unreal!
FWIW
The decision not to poop to you because of your state's laws is not really eBay or PayPals' fault.
I believe their determination is based on how the seller lists (categorizes) the item.
I live in one of the forbidden cities and have had magazines, single shot trays, parts and many other eBay airgun items shipped to me without issue.
But cannot buy or bid on actual guns.

That said
There are most likely many other reasons tha eBay smells bad
For me, a longtime member, this just ain't one of them

Just my 2 scents
ED

The problem is PayPal. Those of us who buy and trade lots of airguns and related products know full well that PayPal is no longer an option.
If the order or product says gun, rifle, ammo, or related words, PayPal will deny the transaction.

Hopefully soon all will become informed about PayPal and simply use alternative means for business. Unfortunately a great many vendors are not yet aware of the new and better and fantastic rewards of using PayPal.
Cheers
Kit

Are you sure about that supposed law? I've researched and can't find where an oil is illegal. Oh no politics unless you're ragging
a liberal state.

So cook county is surrounded by counties and states that allow guns, one should not be surprised that some guns end up in places they aren't wanted, when they are so available everywhere around there. Do you know how many people come and go from Cook County every day?

And to the person that wants to move back to Texas, you're a little late to the show. Property taxes have tripled, rents double, house and car insurance tripled, electricity doubled. Maybe avoid the DFW area, Tarrant had an under 33% arrest rate for violent crime. But hey like the one guy said, you can carry a pistol concealed or open, no license or training necessary, because you know, Texas, it's not a matter of if, but when

The problem is PayPal. Those of us who buy and trade lots of airguns and related products know full well that PayPal is no longer an option.
If the order or product says gun, rifle, ammo, or related words, PayPal will deny the transaction.

Hopefully soon all will become informed about PayPal and simply use alternative means for business. Unfortunately a great many vendors are not yet aware of the new and better and fantastic rewards of using PayPal.
Cheers
Kit
I'm surprised it took two pages to bring this up. PayPal can lock your credit card and PayPal account for using their service to buy gun stuff. Last year I had to get a new card issued and I still can't use my PayPal account to make a purchase. PayPal is user friendly until it isn't.

At first I thought you get scammed by ebay. But you got your money back. So why so piss. Seem like its your state law. Not ebay fault. Maybe time to move?
I have had problems with eBay before. And the reason I'm pissed at eBay is because the whole thing is eBay's foolish rules that caused the problem. Not being allowed to ship a tube of oil to Illinois because of gun laws has to be a major glitch in their site scripts. Besides, my research kind of indicates that it is NOT illegal to ship an air gun to Illinois. Two places I've talked to have told me that all they need is a copy of my FOID card and either a copy of my state drivers license or other state issued ID card. It must be true because I ordered the Mod 25 from one of them and I got it in less than a week.

Believe me when I say I'd move out of this state if it were possible. First, my wife wouldn't even allow me to consider it. She's not leaving family. Period. On top of that, we just bought this house in 2016, then dumped a whole pot full of money in it. We just had a new roof, soffit, fascia, and gutters installed a couple months ago and I have our contractor coming Tuesday to discuss the next round of remodeling to the place. Yeah, I can get all my money back and more, but we're about two weeks of work away from having everything done to the house we wanted done. It's hard to walk away from a place that you've done so much work to and having it just the way you want.

Meanwhile in Chicago, I bet 50 people will get shot this 3-day weekend. The laws are really working great!
Meanwhile...

Mississippi, Louisiana, Wyoming, Missouri and Alabama have the highest firearm mortality rates in the country, according to the CDC.

Alaska, New Mexico, Arkansas, South Carolina, Tennessee and Montana also have high firearm mortality rates.

The states with the lowest gun death rates include Hawaii, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Rhode Island and New York.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/firearm_mortality/firearm.htm

Just keeping it real...

Back on Topic:

There are many way cheaper alternatives then pelgunoil. This thread has mentioned them...

You can usually get pellgunoil over at the local Walmart.
Curious to see if you can order a caulking 'gun' , nerf 'gun', or a glue 'gun' in Illinois.
I wouldn't doubt most Walmarts have some air gun supplies. Our local store has very little of the stuff you'd find at a store in a bigger city. My wife had a couple of major surgeries this year. While she was recovering, she opted to use the Walmart Shopper service. She would just complete an order online, then they notified us when it was ready for pickup. All you have to do is park in a specified area and call them and they'll bring the stuff to the car. Well, we normally get about 75% of the things we ordered. All the rest is either just crossed off the order, or sometimes they'll ship an item or two to the house the next week. It's just a smaller store with not a lot on the shelves.

Yeah, Illinois residents have to be vary careful about saying gun, firearm, or anything similar. LOL!

Sad state of affairs and bad Chinese food,what's next,skinny Burritos and lame Lima Beans?
WaaHaaaHaaaa!!! BINGO!

Hear hear!
I'm not disagreeing with you a bit!

I think all you need to do is go get fingerprinted and have your local Chief LEO sign off on the paperwork after a background check and you can then order the pellgunoil and then after the 10 day waiting period you can pick it up from your local FFL dealer. Super simple. I don’t see what’s wrong with this. Without these safeguards in place your state would just be like the Wild West. It would become a lawless place where people are free to lubricate their Crosman 1377’s anytime they want….with absolutely NO oversight? No thanks.
Now, THAT'S funny right there!

Make sure it is full synthetic. Or just go to walmart.lol
Walmart sure gets an undue amount of attention. Seems it's the first place people think of, at least some people anyway. It's definitely not my favorite place.

FWIW
The decision not to poop to you because of your state's laws is not really eBay or PayPals' fault.
I believe their determination is based on how the seller lists (categorizes) the item.
I live in one of the forbidden cities and have had magazines, single shot trays, parts and many other eBay airgun items shipped to me without issue.
But cannot buy or bid on actual guns.

That said
There are most likely many other reasons tha eBay smells bad
For me, a longtime member, this just ain't one of them

Just my 2 scents
ED
eBay and I had a very long running battle a while back. I used to buy good, used, laptops different places and then I refurb'ed them, loaded them with the latest version of Linux Mint, and then sold them on eBay for a little profit. I had a perfect feedback score of years. Then, some jerk I sold one to filed a complaint with eBay about me. I was contacted and told I had to first pay for return shipping for the laptop, then I would be charged back for the amount the buyer paid, then I would be restricted and not allowed to sell on eBay for 6 months. It took damned near an act of Congress to find out what the complaint was. eBay finally sent me the message and photographs they had received from the buyer. I could NOT believe what I was seeing. The buyer himself told eBay that the laptop ran fine for a couple of days, then it would no longer boot up. Instead, it gave him a message. He had actually taken photos of the messages on the screen. In clear, simple, easy to understand words, the system flat out said it had been Borked by the user. Nobody that knows the first little bit would have NOT understood what happened. The buyer screwed around with settings in the system and he, himself, screwed the thing up. There was NOTHING wrong with the laptop. He just did things to the operating system that he should NOT have done. Now, at the time, I had about 12 or 13 laptops on eBay for sale. They froze everything, froze income I was due, threatened to turn the issue over to authorities, and on, and on, and on. I finally offered to have the buyer send the laptop to me and I would do a complete reload of it, and send it back. I even offered to pay the freight back to him. eBay wouldn't have it. It ended up getting really NASTY between us. In the end, my account was hit for the entire purchase amount, the shipping charges, and additional shipping charges for the buyer to send it back. I never got the laptop. So, I'm very touchy about anything related to eBay. I have a new account with totally different username and email address. I only turn to eBay when there is absolutely no other option. This Pellgunoil was one of those instances. I have still never found a regular vendor online or elsewhere that has Pellgunoil in stock.

Cheers
Kit
I think PayPal is still pissed because eBay broke from them and decided to handle all transactions in house. They lost a whole boatload of income from that. I still have a PayPal account, but use it rarely. I've looked at other, similar services, but haven't gotten an account with any of them yet. It might now be time for me to do that.

So cook county is surrounded by counties and states that allow guns, one should not be surprised that some guns end up in places they aren't wanted, when they are so available everywhere around there. Do you know how many people come and go from Cook County every day?
That's exactly what a lot of us keep telling the gun haters in this country. No matter the number of laws you impose on the citizenry, criminals will continue to obtain any type of firearm they want. Fully automatic weapons are strictly forbidden except by those with very specialized licenses and permits. EXCEPT the criminals on the streets seem to have an unlimited supply. Things will never change until the treatment of criminals changes. You can't correct a problem with criminals by overburdening the law abiding citizenry. It just makes no sense.

I'm surprised it took two pages to bring this up. PayPal can lock your credit card and PayPal account for using their service to buy gun stuff. Last year I had to get a new card issued and I still can't use my PayPal account to make a purchase. PayPal is user friendly until it isn't.
Could not have said it better.

Meanwhile...

Mississippi, Louisiana, Wyoming, Missouri and Alabama have the highest firearm mortality rates in the country, according to the CDC.

Alaska, New Mexico, Arkansas, South Carolina, Tennessee and Montana also have high firearm mortality rates.

The states with the lowest gun death rates include Hawaii, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Rhode Island and New York.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/firearm_mortality/firearm.htm

Just keeping it real...

Back on Topic:

There are many way cheaper alternatives then pelgunoil. This thread has mentioned them...
I'm not trying to start an argument, or even a heated discussion. I'm not disagreeing with the stats you quote. I just have a really hard time believing the stats as reported by various agencies. For instance, on the website in the following link, Chicago is supposedly ranked 28th in murder rates. AND THEREIN lies the rub. It's all a matter of terminology. The report in the link is discussing MURDER RATES. It doesn't address number of shootings, or number of deaths. It only concerns itself with actual murder rates. To be included they require an individual, or individuals, to have been charged and convicted of murder. There may actually have been 100 shootings over a specific weekend and maybe 20 deaths, but ONLY 2 ended up with a trial and a murder conviction. It's all a game and different players use different rules. I will no longer believe a damned thing the CDC puts out. That has to do with a lot of things, but certain recent events have totally turned me against believing a thing they say. Just like the report in the link. It is form CBS news. Now, who did the actual compilation of data? And why are only murders of concern? Why not total number of shootings or total number of deaths? Here is one for you. Try and find a report that specifies the number of shootings, deaths, or even murders COMMITTED BY ONLY GANG MEMBERS. I kind of doubt you'll find that report anywhere. Most urban gangs are comprised of minorities. Yes, I know there are gangs with no minorities and most of them hate any minority. I'm just stating that MOST urban gangs are minority gangs, Right now, in this country, it is strictly verboten to attack any group or gang if it is a minority organization. So, nobody is willing to step out and create and publish a study indicating how many shootings/stabbings/deaths/murders have been committed by gangs. Just my 2 cents.

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/murder-map-deadliest-u-s-cities/

Last week I ordered a bunch of air gun mags from Airgun Depot and paid by Paypal, got them yesterday, no issues.

Dick Durban / lori lightfoot.
Now, there are two of the biggest problems with this sorry State. Again, downstate voters can't ever out number what is going on in the northeast corner of the state. When you add in all the suburbs around Chicago proper, they outnumber the entire rest of the state. Not too many years ago, they was a real effort to separate northern Illinois from southern Illinois. They got a petition with the necessary number of signatures to create two, separate states. It went to Congress and died there. Our entire legislative body is far left and has always been, and sadly will continue to be. They absolutely do NOT want the state divided. They would lose the tax dollars we send north every year. They control everything so it was easy for them to kill the bill. Too many legislators from the Chicago area and other northern cities. Downstate residents do nothing more than feed $$$ to the northeastern corner of the state. It's pretty much like not having a voice in our government. Sure, we get to elect our officials, but there are just too few downstaters to ever make a difference in our Congress. I kind of feel sorry for Senators and Representatives from the downstate area. They go to work every day knowing they are going to just bang their heads against that block wall. I could rant about it forever, but just like going to vote, it's just an exercise in futility.

Something analogous to what Paypal may be doing was going on back in the early 90's with companies/catalogs that sold replica cap and ball revolvers. Even though Mass law exempts all black powder muzzleloading replicas from Mass firearm licensing and registration requirements (the powder and percussion caps are what requires the FID card here), the Mass attorney general at that time (Scott Harshbarger) deceitfully sent threatening letters to mail order catalogs (pre-internet days...) like Sportsman's Guide, Dixie Gunworks, and Shotgun News threatening legal action from MA if they shipped black powder firearms to MA. That no longer appears to be an issue for MA to be fair.

Perhaps Illinois' attorney general threatened action against Paypal on anything gun related and they caved since air guns (over 0.177 cal) are considered firearms in IL? Just a thought, could be wrong. But Pellgun Oil...:cautious: Regards, Badger

Basically yes. However if you use Transmission fluid make sure it is detergent free. Also pellgunoil is for co2 guns only. For break barrel and pcps you should only use silicone oil/grease.
Thanks for that clarification regarding CO2 use only. I am aware that silicone based stuff is generally considered "airgun safe" with regards to dieseling and denotations.

Reactions: BurntDog
It's entirely possible that something like that happened, badger. I'm just not aware of it if it did happen. That's a weird thing in Illinois. Black powder is exempt from the regular firearms laws. Back when I was still deer hunting, I used a .45 cal Hawken. I was looking for a specific powder and some maxi balls another guy had told me about. I ordered 5 pounds of powder, 100 maxi balls, and some pre-lubed patches. There was never a question asked. I didn't have to submit a copy of my FOID or any other form of ID. Everything arrived in about a week. Now, if I had an evil streak in me, I could have created a few PVC surprises with 5 pounds of powder. Long ago, farmers in this area were known to use PVC devices packed with black powder to loosen stumps form the ground. Yet, not a question was asked about shipping me the powder. Fast forward to 2022 and every air gun vendor I tried, except one, refused to ship that Mod 25 to me under ANY conditions. Thankfully I found one place on the 'Net that I can deal with in the future. I'm afraid to mention thier name because I sure don't want to cause them any problems.

I am a little confused by the statements about Pellgunoil being only for C02 guns. Crosman specifically told me to use Pellgunoil on several places on this 1377. Not sure why Crosman would recommend that if it's supposedly only for C02 guns.

Status
Not open for further replies.