Why headshots

I don't understand why cries headshot so much I understand with a lower power gun without hollow points that's the only spot to shoot but for the higher power guys (35 fpe plus) why not take a vitals shot people say headshot is the most humane way to kill and I agree if and only if you hit where your aiming if you miss right around that area or the animal moves it's head then you could hit whatever your shooting at in the ear nose skim the skull or shoot it in the jaw or mouth ( which I have done before luckily it was close range and I was able to make a quick follow-up shot) but vitals on the other hand is a much bigger target that can't move so quickly and will kill the animal just as dead as a headshot it just takes a second longer I take my fair share of headshots to but only when I'm 100 percent sure of my range wind and that the animal isn't going to move other than that I aim for the vitals so just curious of everyone's thoughts rant over.....for now ;)

Nonsense! I take vitals shots routinely on squirrels. Just today I took this squirrel. One shot to the vitals at 28 yards with a .22 Hades at 22fpe and it dropped like a rock! Didn’t even do the dance. Just DRT.
47DA2870-7013-48E5-9ACE-C05EC60C5E68.jpeg

@Hard2hurt223 I think it’s a preference thing. As a hunter i take shots I’m comfortable taking. In the thread linked below @AirNGasman eloquently presents his detailed perspective based upon experience and he’s far from the average shooter.

I prefer a quick kill, BUT I am committed to finishing the deed and recovering a carcass. Sometimes I make a poor shot and have to work to finish it (with a follow up shot or two, worst case I cut its throat). So if I hit an animal the expectation is that I’m personally responsible for ushering it to the other side. If it’s in good health and edible the goal is to be sure that it makes its way into my freezer or someone else’s. Making a brainshot that drops an animal where there is little to no movement feels great to me, especially on squirrels. I’m working to improve and achieving those shots make me feel like my practice and learning are bettering my skillset as a hunter. Lastly, I don’t eat heads, so brainshots ensure no meat or organs are destroyed on animals I wish to eat.

Last edited:
First things first, a "head shot" and a "brain shot" are two different things entirely.

A "head shot" leads to a lot of lost game, that usually dies a slow and painful death. A "brain shot" is lights out, without question.

A brain shot is tough to make, especially on alert small game such as squirrels, which offers a very small target even when still. Add in the fact that guys seemed to be trying to take them from long range, in the wind, and not rested on a bench, and it's even harder still.

In my experience, a clean killing vitals shot is a lot safer bet in a lot of shot opportunities.

If you aren't sure you can make the shot you are given, don't take it. Simple as that. The equipment doesn't do away with good ethics and woodsmanship.

I appreciate and agree with all of the feedback thus far there are some things I haven't thought about I agree with buckless Yooper I just take whatever shot I can get my whole argument was talking about the guys that get on everyone about ethics if you take anything other than a headshot

@Hard2hurt223 I think it’s a preference thing. As a hunter i take shots I’m comfortable taking. In this thread @AirNGasman eloquently presents his detailed perspective based upon experience and he’s far from the average shooter.

I prefer a quick kill, BUT I am committed to finishing the deed and recovering a carcass. Sometimes I make a poor shot and have to work to finish it. So if I hit an animal the expectation is that I’m personally responsible for ushering it to the other side. If it’s in good health and edible the goal is to be sure that it makes it’s way into my freezer or someone else’s. Making a brainshot that drops an animal where there is little to no movement feels great to me. Especially on squirrels. I’m working to improve and achieving those shots make me feel like my practice and learning is bettering my skill set as a hunter. Lastly, I don’t eat heads, so brainshots ensure no meat or organs are destroyed on animals I wish to eat.
MY thoughts exactly . I call or bait in close .Squirrels are never more that a 30 or 40 foot shot . Foot not yard !

For me, it all depends on the shot I am presented with. With the squirrels for instance, it varies on distance and presentation. Most, if not all, of my shots are within 20 yards and I don’t shoot at moving targets. I like to use squirrels as the example because if you have hunted them you know that sometimes even a well placed shot doesn’t seem to get the job done and a quick follow up is required.
When a head/brain is offered I will definitely go for it if all conditions are right; the stars have to align. The one thing I can also say is that if I miss with a head shot I typically miss the entire head and the critter runs off to live another day.
As in the movie “The Patriot”, “aim little, miss little”.
Definitely some great responses to this question…

First things first, a "head shot" and a "brain shot" are two different things entirely.

A "head shot" leads to a lot of lost game, that usually dies a slow and painful death. A "brain shot" is lights out, without question.

A brain shot is tough to make, especially on alert small game such as squirrels, which offers a very small target even when still. Add in the fact that guys seemed to be trying to take them from long range, in the wind, and not rested on a bench, and it's even harder still.

In my experience, a clean killing vitals shot is a lot safer bet in a lot of shot opportunities.

If you aren't sure you can make the shot you are given, don't take it. Simple as that. The equipment doesn't do away with good ethics and woodsmanship.
Have to agree with the points you are making.

It’s rare ( for me anyway ) to have squirrels sitting up and sitting perfectly still for most of my backyard /woods shooting opportunities. Brain shots are easier at 20-30 yards if sitting up vs. taking a vitals body shot at 35-45 yards on squirrels that start/stop frequently, as an example.

I won’t take many 35-50 yard head shots with my squirrel guns ( Revere .22, Royale 400 .22, HW100 .22 ) unless conditions are perfect and I am very confident of the shot. A vast majority are good body shots in the vitals.

Dead is dead. I grew up squirrel hunting, and head shots were a matter of pride, plus they work well. I have to disagree a little on squirrel behavior. Usually, when a squirrel is motionless in a tree, that includes his head. Given that scenario, a lethal head shot is not usually difficult. But yes, the brain is a trickier shot than the chest cavity, and generally no more effective. In fact, I have discovered something I find interesting. In recent years, I have killed a lot of squirrels with an air rifle. For some reason, a shot in the heart/lung area is devastatingly effective, with the critter usually dropping instantly. I never found this to be the case when I was hunting with a .22 RF. The only thing I can figure, the slower, lighter pellet bounces around in there enough to transfer virtually all of its energy to the target. So, my answer to the titular question, just because I can!

I’ve hit a squirrel 4 times in the body with a .30 and it can still run off. I don’t want it them suffering and dying in the neighbors yard. I’ve dropped squirrels with one shot to the heart as well. I think headshots are best
Then your not hitting the vitals. I drop squirrels from >70 yards with shots to the vitals right there on the spot.

What kind of ammo are you using?

With 2500 tied up in my airgun, and shots at 40 yards or less, I would have no respect for myself if I didn't make head shots on squirrels. To me it makes a much more satisfying crack on head shots opposed to the thud of a body shot. Several times in the past, a body shot squirrel made it into the neighbor's yard before dying. They love squirrels and I don't mean eating them!

USER=41577]@Hard2hurt223[/USER] I think it’s a preference thing. As a hunter i take shots I’m comfortable taking. In the thread linked below @AirNGasman eloquently presents his detailed perspective based upon experience and he’s far from the average shooter.

I prefer a quick kill, BUT I am committed to finishing the deed and recovering a carcass. Sometimes I make a poor shot and have to work to finish it (with a follow up shot or two, worst case I cut its throat). So if I hit an animal the expectation is that I’m personally responsible for ushering it to the other side. If it’s in good health and edible the goal is to be sure that it makes its way into my freezer or someone else’s. Making a brainshot that drops an animal where there is little to no movement feels great to me, especially on squirrels. I’m working to improve and achieving those shots make me feel like my practice and learning are bettering my skillset as a hunter. Lastly, I don’t eat heads, so brainshots ensure no meat or organs are destroyed on animals I wish to eat.

Thanks for posting that stroll down Memory Lane, E4. Gave me an excuse to re-read my own writing; without which I (OFTEN) feel overly self-centric. Besides the excuse to read my own stuff, your recycling of it makes me think I'm not a bad writer. But you know me; I never miss an opportunity to pat myself on the back!🤨

After decades of doing so, the flexibly in my right arm, shoulder, elbow and wrist can put contortionists to shame.:ROFLMAO: