Why Doesn't Everyone Do This?

I am buying an airgun off ebay for the first time and I got a pop up to add Square Trade 3 year protection plan on a $150 gun, for an additional $25. Seems like a no brainer for a gun that has, just an "ok," review average. Has anyone did this before? Just wondering about their experience with Square Trade and the guns available on ebay. Thanks.

https://www.ebay.com/cdp/help/protection-plan/squaretrade

Reactions: Tronic
I see that as akin to a warranty, and I stopped purchasing warranties many years ago due to getting the run-around on a few of them when filing a claim, and even when they were through reputable companies. If there is a claim and you can actually get some service, many of these warranty companies will at best put a band aid on it to fix the problem as cheaply and quickly as possible. I avoid them because I think they are the closest thing there is to legal scams.

Just a nuisance insurance...I hate insurance.

If something is always breaking, don't buy it unless YOU can fix it. In that case...you don't need to spend money on insurance.

At the various store that I buy at, when the person at the register asks about buying a warranty, I say "no thank you, it just has to work one time".

In the case of something like an airgun. Just like my cars, motorcycles, powder fire guns, crossbows...I just dig in and learn to fix it myself.

Mike

I always declined it myself. Then I bought an H2 Hummer and the truck had 210k mi on the transmission. So I bought Car Sheild for it. And, they did attempt to give me the run around when I put in a claim 7 days after it was eligible. Thankfully my wife is an attorney and after 4 weeks, she resolved it. They made the shop guy and us wait on hold for long periods of time, once it was 2 hours on hold. But, they paid out a $3500 bill for a new tranny and it only cost me $700 and 5 hours of my wife on the phone. 

So, I had a somewhat favorable experience with adding these insurance plans so far. I just ordered some Sigs, an MPX and a P226 off ebay, and the total was less than the usual suppliers with the warranties. 

Just, food for thought. I thought I'd ask. And I certainly will share if it ever comes to needing the plans. Cheers.

Square Trade used to regularly get terrible reviews on Amazon.

I would get warranties for certain items, but at stores that were local and especially good with warranties. I got an extended warranty on my Yong Heng at Walmart because it was long, inexpensive, there are complaints about it now and then, and it's just a 20 minute drive to deal with it.

Reactions: Tronic
I have read A lot of bad reviews on square trade. I buy a lot on eBay and if there’s any issue with the seller because maybe you have a problem with the air gun and the seller doesn’t cooperate and giving you a refund, then eBay has always got my money back within a few days . A lot of sellers on eBay normally give you either 30 or 60 days to test it. Always look at the sellers feedback and make sure there is a warranty and you will be good.

Unless it is a high dollar item it's just not worth the hassle of jumping through all of the hoops to me and return postage can get expensive. My time and sanity is worth $ to me. I werq it this way if I buy something that does not last I take a good look at what went wrong. If it is a something I can easily fix I do. If it is a design flaw or defect I just don't buy it again.

If you watch channels like ADVChina or laowhy86, they get into this a good deal and make sense of it. China-made stuff is not defended by the locals as just as good as anything else, but deemed disposable. The general populace, they say, is well used to stuff falling apart regularly. But as long as they can get it cheaply enough, they just toss it and get another one. It's a very different mind set from a lot of the western world. One many are beginning to accept, though, from having to buy new iterations of Apple Iphones every year or two to finding their bookkeeping software outdated if they don't re-up a subscription service. It's the triumph of crap capitalism -- I'm gonna call it crapitalism here. You'll see the phrase everywhere soon LOL.

Stuff is not built to last anymore. We're being schooled to not even care.

I always declined it myself. Then I bought an H2 Hummer and the truck had 210k mi on the transmission. So I bought Car Sheild for it. And, they did attempt to give me the run around when I put in a claim 7 days after it was eligible. Thankfully my wife is an attorney and after 4 weeks, she resolved it. They made the shop guy and us wait on hold for long periods of time, once it was 2 hours on hold. But, they paid out a $3500 bill for a new tranny and it only cost me $700 and 5 hours of my wife on the phone. 

So, I had a somewhat favorable experience with adding these insurance plans so far. I just ordered some Sigs, an MPX and a P226 off ebay, and the total was less than the usual suppliers with the warranties. 

Just, food for thought. I thought I'd ask. And I certainly will share if it ever comes to needing the plans. Cheers.

That's $700 plus whatever your wife charges per hour as an attorney x5. I suspect the amount saved, if anything at all, is less than it seems at face value. Unless of course she's still quite junior at whatever firm she's working at and still purely salaried. Plus the 'happy wife, happy life' rule may have got derailed for a while there 😂