• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Why Doesn't Everyone Do This?

I always declined it myself. Then I bought an H2 Hummer and the truck had 210k mi on the transmission. So I bought Car Sheild for it. And, they did attempt to give me the run around when I put in a claim 7 days after it was eligible. Thankfully my wife is an attorney and after 4 weeks, she resolved it. They made the shop guy and us wait on hold for long periods of time, once it was 2 hours on hold. But, they paid out a $3500 bill for a new tranny and it only cost me $700 and 5 hours of my wife on the phone. 

So, I had a somewhat favorable experience with adding these insurance plans so far. I just ordered some Sigs, an MPX and a P226 off ebay, and the total was less than the usual suppliers with the warranties. 

Just, food for thought. I thought I'd ask. And I certainly will share if it ever comes to needing the plans. Cheers.

That's $700 plus whatever your wife charges per hour as an attorney x5. I suspect the amount saved, if anything at all, is less than it seems at face value. Unless of course she's still quite junior at whatever firm she's working at and still purely salaried. Plus the 'happy wife, happy life' rule may have got derailed for a while there 😂

Yeah the "my wife's an attorney" criterion may be lacking in granularity.

I know more people that take steps to ensure to invest their money into things that last, by putting the time in watching reviews prior, or by word of mouth, than not. I see a trend happening of just the opposite, people going in a direction to unclutter. Ridding the "cheap junk"....investing in products that last and avoiding companies all together that pass out disposable crap. When enough people get fed up with their iPhones breaking one day after the warranty expires, they move to an android. Who loses? 

For one of the 3 guns purchased yesterday, for $6 I got a 3 year warranty on a $130 refurbished air gun that had just "ok" reviews. It breaks, they pay. It only hurts the insurance companies and the maker of the airgun. Eventually, the insurance company won't cover the products made by that company at which point, I don't buy. Who loses? I used the air gun for hopefully, two, to three years and get my money back if it breaks.

As for my wife's time, true, she didn't enjoy waiting on the phone, but it was done while she was editing and or nursing the baby, and resulted in a $2700 saving in which she'd gladly do it again. 

This time, I did my research on putting a claim in on these guns with Square Trade prior to purchasing their agreement (there is steps to take from the beginning to make it a claim go smooth, which included taking saving screen shots of the listing and paid page, among some other stuff, in which securing those things at the time of purchase is easier than trying to get a deleted listing 3 years later from the seller), an hopefully this will just be an single email, by me.

So, I did 3 guns yesterday, all were "like new, refurbished , with original boxes and paperwork" and already been marked down significantly, enough so, they were still cheaper than new at the discounted usual sources, (which they were ALL out of stock on two and have been since April) and should match the "replacement" cost in 2-3 years. 

Just food for thought. I'll let you know what happens.

Just an FYI: When you first log into Square Trade to register a serial number they allow you to upload your receipt electronically so you don't have to hunt for it if anything breaks. Secondly, when I did my claim they sent me a shipping label so shipping costs were on them.

I understand how insurance works. The policy creator bets they have fewer claims against policies than they sell. People seem to forget that point because medical insurance has become expected to be medical assurance, instead of catastrophic insurance (a whole other huge discussion). I don't buy car insurance wanting to use it. I buy it to reduce risk.

I do lots of things to avoid risks: 2 handicapped vehicles with ramps in case one gets damaged, 2 specialized seat cushions, etc. There are lots of ways to avoid or accept risk. If you can't live with downtime then insurance isn't the best way to reduce risk. If you can afford the hit to replace the item at full cost or repair the item then risk acceptance is probably a good option.

Some Friendly Advise: It is probably wise to evaluate your risk often and cover your critical bases. 2020 is probably a good example of multiple failures across the world of some of us humans failing at this task of risk assessment (threat assessment/disaster recovery/business continuity planning).