• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Why does regulator pressure increase without my permission?

Hi!

1st attempt at tuning my Air Venturi Avenger .22 to an "Eco tune" of 1400 PSI Regulator and 1.5 + Hammer Spring. 

Brought hammer spring up 1.5 turns from zero.

Regulator already displayed 1400 PSI, so had no need to adjust that.

So, I topped off the air reservoir to 4000 PSI (up from 1600 PSI) and thought that I was finished...

BUT- when I looked at the regulator, it had sneakily crept up to 2800 PSI, twice as much as I desired.

What the heck happened ??????????

Many thanks for your thoughtful responses!

Mike 

UPDATE:

I degassed, then closed the air bleed.

Then I advanced, from the null position, the regulator screw 1/4 turn.

I added air, aiming for 4000PSI, but despite there being plenty of air in my SCBA tank, the reservoir manometer stopped at 3750 PSI. WTH??????

I left it for awhile, and when I returned, the manometer indicated lower, at 3600 PSI.

I wanted 1400 PSI in the regulator, but I wasn't precise ant ended up with 1850 PSI, no problem.

I took 5 shots, air reservoir went down to 3400 PSI, and the regulator did a big drop down to 1750

SO - know that you have a more complete, up-to-date picture, what say you?

THANKS!!!!

Creep is caused by imperfections or defects in the valve seat. It has been a common issue with the Avenger. If you are the industrious type, you can replace the seat (generally a hard plastic like acetal/Delrin). Otherwise you may want to look into a regulator rebuild kit or perhaps RMA the gun if it’s new.

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/bad-regulator/#post-849946

Generally I would agree that some break-in time is in order, but a doubling of pressure is way, way outside the norm. Can’t hurt to try but there is a near zero chance it will work itself out.

Did you happen to adjust the regulator downward while it was pressurized? Doing so will typically damage the seat. Only adjust upward if the system is pressurized. 

Here's how I did my Avenger 22 for eco tune:

After dumping air, I tightened reg all the way in. I did not back out 1/4 like Steve suggested. The first time I did and reg jumped up like you say. But second attempt I left it in. Then aired up to 3500 or so psi. I started backing out reg like 1/16 turn or less. Then I dry fired 3-4 times. Then I backed out some more till it read a little below 1400 psi. I dry fired 3-4 more times to see if it stayed. It did not. It was a bit low. So I let out reg a teeny bit more, dry fired and checked. Yep it held. Then I did the hammer spring and checked reg. It stayed at 1400psi. So far mine has not wandered, but getting there was not quite as Steve described it. I think dry firing between adjustments did the trick. I only fill to about 3500 or so psi, so I don't get the shot count he did, but still pretty good. Hope this helps.

Creep is caused by imperfections or defects in the valve seat. It has been a common issue with the Avenger. If you are the industrious type, you can replace the seat (generally a hard plastic like acetal/Delrin). Otherwise you may want to look into a regulator rebuild kit or perhaps RMA the gun if it’s new.

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/bad-regulator/#post-849946

Generally I would agree that some break-in time is in order, but a doubling of pressure is way, way outside the norm. Can’t hurt to try but there is a near zero chance it will work itself out.

Did you happen to adjust the regulator downward while it was pressurized? Doing so will typically damage the seat. Only adjust upward if the system is pressurized.

Thank you !

Did you notice my "update"?

First of all, never trust a gauge on a gun. If $2k guns come with inaccurate gauges, a $300 gun definitely can also. I would degas the gun and turn the reg screw in then fill it back up until you get the 1,400-1,500psi you’re looking for. You already know your tank pressure gauge is off by 250psi so take that into consideration when shooting for a 1,400psi reg setting.

As a matter of fact, yes, the regulator pressure went up to 1850 from 1750.

Early this morning, I attempted to add air - from 3425, it went up to 3650 (still not the desired 4000 PSI) , AND, the regulator went up to 1900 PSI.

Several hours later, I took 6 shots to zero in a scope. The air reservoir went down to 3500 (from 3650), and the regulator down to 1800 PSI (from 1900).

So, if the rifle has a problem, what is it most likely, and should I go for an RMA?

Many thanks for your forthcoming thoughtful gratis response!

Mike 

PSI