Why does it sit unused...

For those with a collection of rifles and pistols I bet it's not uncommon to have 1 or 2 that get significantly less shooting time than the rest. What is the 1 reason for a rifle you own to collect dust more often than not? For me it is usually weight. As much as I like some of features from larger scopes, adjustable stocks and other things that have a benefit...if it weighs too much at some point it becomes unused. The majority of my stuff is outfitted with irons, or red dots for that very reason. I have 2 rifles with scopes, both are light to begin with, and neither is huge or loaded features.

for me it is the pcp’s. One is for FT, one is for hunting. But most of the time I grab a springer or multipump to just plink around. Mainly because I don’t want to take the time to set up the compressor to fill them.

Also with the pcp’s plinking gets too boring. At the set ranges, they just always hit.

I use them all, but mostly my PCP airguns. I keep my multi-stroke Benjis and Crosmans because they're effective tools, vintage and they're mine. I shoot them a couple time a month or so. They still work and perform well, but I've been seduced by the Dark Side for most of my backyard shooting because of how quiet they are vs the MSPs.

Reactions: Hold_Over
For me, some of my airguns are "seasonal".

My 10 meter rifles see most use in the winter indoor season and the high-power stuff gets the preference for the outdoor season. The pesting rifle is on duty all the time and rifles like the FWB 300 and HW30 see use all year long.

I use a lottery system to ensure that all airguns get trigger time. Each gun has a token in the "to be shot" jar, the gun drawn is put in the rack by the door for the day and its token put in the "had a turn" jar. That keeps us all familiar 😉

Works for me.

Cheers!

For me, some of my airguns are "seasonal".

My 10 meter rifles see most use in the winter indoor season and the high-power stuff gets the preference for the outdoor season. The pesting rifle is on duty all the time and rifles like the FWB 300 and HW30 see use all year long.

I use a lottery system to ensure that all airguns get trigger time. Each gun has a token in the "to be shot" jar, the gun drawn is put in the rack by the door for the day and its token put in the "had a turn" jar. That keeps us all familiar 😉

Works for me.

Cheers!
I do kind of like the gun token system

My pump ups do not get used much. I much prefer the PCPs. Mainly I shoot 30 yard challenge targets. Quite challenging and I have the space to do it at the house. I shot 4 today. I have 6 PCPs now and the least used is an original Avenger. I made wood stocks for most of them but haven't the Avenger, yet. The thin plastic stock is not the biggest issue with it for me. It is the length. I like bullpups and carbines and the Avenger is neither. But I have the LOP adjusted and a cheek riser on it and I really should let it get some time too. I also spent some time on the trigger and it's pretty good. It's a 25 and was both accurate and pretty powerful last I checked.

The CMP competition calendar ends in May and is done until fall So my comp rifles will be getting some down time. I’ll shoot the Maximus, the break barrels and pumpers this summer. Probably burn some powder too. Pistol practice and the rimfire steel challenge. I generally shoot what strikes my mood at the moment. No method to the madness, just having fun.

Rick H.

I have a Winchester 600x and 1000x that were a few of my earliest ventures into airguns. Both became project guns, were polished and tuned by me, and stocks stripped and refinished. There is sentimental value, but little financial incentive to sell. But they just are not fun to shoot. In spite of the work I did, they feel unrefined, triggers are gross, and accuracy is meh. So there they sit, and will continue to do so.

I have a Winchester 600x and 1000x that were a few of my earliest ventures into airguns. Both became project guns, were polished and tuned by me, and stocks stripped and refinished. There is sentimental value, but little financial incentive to sell. But they just are not fun to shoot. In spite of the work I did, they feel unrefined, triggers are gross, and accuracy is meh. So there they sit, and will continue to do so.
I have 1 I bought early on. Used it a lot when new, as I started acquiring more stuff it sat. Ultimately was part of the motivation for this post. A big part if my problem with it has been the weight compared to other options. Large 50mm scope with parallax adj., wood thumbhole stock etc. It is currently getting a makeover to see if I can shape it into something that will be used often. I have had it long enough, and it's a good gun, so I haven't sold it.

I could probably make a point system for which guns are less likely to be shot.

Inaccurate: 2 points
Ugly: 1 point
Requires frequent refills: 3 points
Expensive to shoot: 1 point
Loud: 3 points
Large and/or heavy: 1 point
Very low powered: 2 points

There should probably be some positives too for guns that are unusually accurate, beautiful, powerful, quiet and simple as well.

It might take a bit longer to come up with a safe queen algorithm, but I'm sure it could be done.

I could probably make a point system for which guns are less likely to be shot.

Inaccurate: 2 points
Ugly: 1 point
Requires frequent refills: 3 points
Expensive to shoot: 1 point
Loud: 3 points
Large and/or heavy: 1 point
Very low powered: 2 points

There should probably be some positives too for guns that are unusually accurate, beautiful, powerful, quiet and simple as well.

It might take a bit longer to come up with a safe queen algorithm, but I'm sure it could be done.
Some of these would have to be individually adjusted. I have neck/back/nerve issues....large and heavy gets 4,lol. Very low power depends on how much you shoot 10m targets. Expensive has to be a sliding scale based on how hard up the individual is at any given time...