Why do you still shoot springers?

Started 3 yrs. ago almost to the day. View attachment 271074 Going to improve every one. Zero interest in PCP. Love the challenge. They seem to have their own personalities. Looking forward to installing kits. Crow
Jeez Crow, the most airguns I ever had at once was 27 (both Springer/PCPs). So for just 3 years .... man U must be having fun!
My Wife would object ........ I'm down the 15 or 16 now, mostly (break barrels) Springers.

Reading this thread is just fueling my appetite for MY first springer.

Let me take that back...
I have a Webly Tempest pistol I purchased back in the 1980s. So, I suppose that it technically meets the definition of spring gun.

I have my sights set on a HW-35E .177 as my first springer RIFLE. Now I just have to find one.
I was originally looking at the Diana side-lever/fixed-barrel approach to avoid "barrel-droop" and potential breech-lock/barrel-droop issues of break-barrel rifles, then I read here in an AGN post about the breech-lock design of the HW35, that was the way to go. (the old Webly Tempest breech-lock is problematic)

Planning to install a quality aperture rear sight rather than a scope, I don't see the need for one. I have powder-burners for 100-300 yards.

Years ago when I was all about Beeman I used to go over his catalogs, reading word for word all of his descriptive details of all his guns, and all the while just frothing at the mouth over his glossy air rifle pics like my son did over a Victoria secret catalog when he was 12. Beeman had a way, to make a pellet gun seem like a “one of” work of art. He had it down in setting “the scene” of a tyrolean stocked R1, leaned up against elegant furniture next to the fireplace. I didn’t get it back then when he described the guns as “elegant works of art” and “ the pride of ownership” till I got older. To me, it was a powerful adult airgun that’s gonna put down some rats!

My Beeman RX, I paid the same price back then as they cost new today. That says something. And what was said earlier about in the pcp world we’re in, with steel and plastic, black on black, nothing tops the look(and feel) of a QUALITY springer. As you wipe it down after a shooting session, admiring how steel blends into wood, you sense all the hours it took to be built by true craftsmen, rather than a mass produced CNC built pcp.

Don’t get me wrong, as I appreciate pcp’s for their accuracy, consistency and power. But, if I sold one of them I don’t think I’d have the regrets like I did (still do) for selling my R10 deluxe and my FWB 124 a couple of years ago.

I’m down to two break barrels, my RX in 20 cal and my Benjamin nitro piston in 22. Can’t really shoot them as much as I’d like cause both my shoulders are shot. Hopefully my son will appreciate the simplicity they offer

Last edited:
Jeez Crow, the most airguns I ever had at once was 27 (both Springer/PCPs). So for just 3 years .... man U must be having fun!
My Wife would object ........ I'm down the 15 or 16 now, mostly (break barrels) Springers.
Don’t waste time. It’s been a blast. Have been fortunate. Picked up 20 Weihrauch’s in Jan. alone. Had an awesome opportunity and took it. Still have two Inever shot. Have two on order as well.
My wife is amazing, she even suggested I dismantle a bedroom for my gun room. No argument here. Definitely working hard at saving the marriage.
Some morning I wake up grouchy——— other mornings I let her sleep in. Crow

just the same repeat that every one before me has said , simple, fun , comparatively cheap (yeah i used that word ) and always ready . My HW97k is ready with a neck pouch , 500 pellets hanging on it . AND it has a beautiful stock not some fugly plastic rail looking thing .
Next on my list, keep those money gobblers I like springers

Reactions: abslayer
Great Question!

1 Airshot said it! Makes one a real marksman.

2. ease of operation noted above

3. longevity ( not a bunch of rubber o-rings)

5. Tuning and adjusting ( builds gun knowledge)

6. Aesthetics (PCP’s are weird looking) noted above

7. dependable (KISS theory)

8. Self contained. noted above

9. Traditional

10. Heirlooms

I guess I’m a springer guy!

P.S. Have you ever heard the explosion of an empty 2 liter bottle filled with a 100 pounds of air? So, I get nervous resting my head on a bottle filled with 4000 pounds of air. Probably just me.
Nope, not just you

Reactions: Trunion
Ease of use, simplicity, enjoy the challenge it takes to shoot a springer well. Once a springer is mastered, it makes shooting firearms all the better!! PCP is to easy, becomes boring and to much hassle to carry all the extras.

Over my many years of shooting springers I have noticed serious firearm competitors use springers as practice to hone their shooting skills.

Best of all....just plain fun !!!
Precision, balance, elegance, accuracy, efficiency, quality.

Springers are unique to themselves if their form and function. That alone is enough to warrant using them. But a finely built, finished, and tuned springer needs to be experienced.
As noted by a few... Simplicity, challenge, accessibility, utility. I like knowing it's ready to go at any moment, which is often but not always the case with my PCP's. It's also good practice... as shooting a springer translates in many ways and could improve overall skill.
Great Question!

1 Airshot said it! Makes one a real marksman.

2. ease of operation noted above

3. longevity ( not a bunch of rubber o-rings)

5. Tuning and adjusting ( builds gun knowledge)

6. Aesthetics (PCP’s are weird looking) noted above

7. dependable (KISS theory)

8. Self contained. noted above

9. Traditional

10. Heirlooms

I guess I’m a springer guy!

P.S. Have you ever heard the explosion of a empty 2 liter bottle filled with a 100 pounds of air? So, I get nervous resting my head on a bottle filled with 4000 pounds of air. Probably just me.
A PCP is like a dog: unconditional forgiveness, a Springer is like a cat; you have to earn it.
It's a mechanical marvel that doesn't have a need for batteries, air, or any other accessory other than some pellets and you. Independence. I liken it to a mechanical (or "automatic" if you will) wrist watch of which I use as well. My watch is a well-engineered conglomeration of moving parts that was fine-tuned (evolved) over decades, and here this little machine sits on my wrist, was affordable, and does a great job of telling time. A springer shares many of the same attributes and both with the added benefits of becoming heirlooms. They'll work for someone (hopefully my great great great grandkids) long after I'm gone, wherever they go, which is kind of cool if you think about it.
Simplicity—ready by the front door!
for me its simplicity, in conjunction with single shot (my springer) and taking your time. i can really get through pellets in a single shot PCP and have fun too. but i can extend that fun quite a bit with my weihrauch, without worrying about pressure or 100 other things you need to with a PCP.

i also have less ideas pop in my head about how i should modify this or that with a springer. overall simplicity like others have stated!
Great question,the traditional feel of quality,the discipline it takes to shoot them good...how very easy they are to just grab and shot .

Good springers almost demand a relationship,the more you give the more you get back.

Another important quality is many Never go out of style,classic lines and feel...and wood...
My life doesn't revolve around airgunning, but when I want to shoot, I want to shoot. Springers have their own power source and they last for decades.

I've had 2 PCP's: a PRod and a Maximus, both in .22. I was lights out with the Maximus - 1" spinner all frgn' day at 40 yd. Amazing rifle when you install a lighter trigger spring. After 4 yrs, it sprung a leak. Then the pump sprung a leak. The PRod still holds air and I got a new pump - which sprung a leak but I fixed it. I'll keep the PRod as my only PCP until it leaks, then I'll probably sell it. I don't like messing with PCP leaks.

I'm much better with a PCP, but I do this for fun and occasional light pest control. A springer is fine.

BTW - I just bought an HW30s in .22 and it's a blast to shoot.
this too! much less worried about a piston seal suddenly going out, than one of many o rings!
New to this game. My reason was, all I need is a tin of pellets. Nothing else required. Plus since I have been and still am very involved in cenerfire competion , no reloding, no cleaning, no shortage of overpriced componets, its win win to me.
All the above reasons. I purchased a PCP several years ago. Shot I quite a bit, but the pumping got old. I wasnt going to by a compressor. It sat for about a year. When I decided to shoot it one day, it no longer held air. I gave it away to a friend. I'll stick wit my springers and co2.

I have never picked up a springer after sitting where it didn't work.

There's not a single airgun I have ever shot, that I didn't find enjoyment in doing so.

Never understood why people think you have to choose either or.

I shoot springers because I like shooting springers because they keep me closer to that feeling I had with my first bb gun as a kid, where I can disappear for hours.
It's the same when I go out with the 1377, keeps me grounded in this hobby, and keeps my shooting fundamentals in check..

There's not a single airgun I have ever shot, that I didn't find enjoyment in doing so.

Never understood why people think you have to choose either or.

I shoot springers because I like shooting springers because they keep me closer to that feeling I had with my first bb gun as a kid, where I can disappear for hours.
It's the same when I go out with the 1377, keeps me grounded in this hobby, and keeps my shooting fundamentals in check..
Agreed. First one I had was a single stoke pneumatic bb/pellet gun. Don't know how I ever hit anything with it, but I sure did. A lot. Shot tons of bbs and pellets thru it. Countless hours in the fields, woods, shooting out from under a barn roof when it was raining. Later got a beeman break barrel, though it was actually a norica. And a 1377, too. Wish I knew whatever became of the 1377. I have a 1322 now, and a hw50. Mostly pcps, but the classic airgun types never get old. Simplicity. It's just a completely different experience. And can take you back.