Why do you still shoot springers?

Walther LGU 177, JSB 8.44 grain round nose, 8 shots, 40 yards.

That's why

20220518_115803.1652890159.jpg

Darn good shooting right there!!

I'm more of a hunter than a target shooter. I like the self contained nature of spring guns, and their reliability. Plus I just like mechanical things.

Another big reason for me, is most new PCPs look and feel like waterguns or something my little nephew would show me on Minecraft. They don't even come with stocks anymore, FFS....

Nothing like a calm chilly morning in the squirrel woods with a Wilkins pouch full of pellets and a well used old spring gun.

I borrowed the picture from another forum and it may well be on AGN too, but if this is what you mean, Crosman used to make a copy of a Model 70 in an air rifle. The one in the picture is owned by fellow member unionrdr.

View attachment 195783

You'll have to wander Fleabay or the other auction sites to try finding one though.
I still have this first year (1973) rifle. Found a Weaver KV60 3 or 5 power scope for it made for the pre64 model 70's from 1950-63. Weight is under 5lbs, but trigger pull is too heavy for such a light rifle.
model70weaver14.JPG

I got my first Crosman when I was about 12, a CO2 repeater, and loved it but kept having to get my Dad to take me to Western Auto for more BB’s and 12mg cartridges. I had that and two 760’s rebuilt a couple years ago which led me down the path of no return. I have added a couple Benjamin springers and love them. Almost no support equipment needed, just a few tins of pellets and it can all live under the backseat of my truck next to a rim fire pretty much all the time. Wood stocks are what I have, they just look better. A nice feature is that I had to learn to use and it requires effort for each shot. The springers will never fire as many rounds as my pcp or pumpers but they are great at what they do.

Rick H.

What a cool thread. On occasion I get asked which I prefer, my road bikes or mountain bikes and I'll answer, "Depends on what day it is". The truth is, my favorite bikes are my single-speeds, both road and MTB. Simple. Brutally efficient. Honest. No mechanical advantage available to make up for your shortcomings. They'll give you everything they have, but if you don't do your part it ain't gonna end well. That's how I feel about springers. I enjoy all of the guns we have. But if I could only keep one, there's a .22 cal HW95 Luxus that's not going anywhere.

Nice to see a few vintage watch guys. Might own a couple myself. The automatics are my favorites. Talk about mechanical marvels!

My favorite Uncle had a Beeman R7 when I was 10 years old. I loved that gun.

Fast forward to last year I had pigs and tree rats in my Macadamia nut orchard in Hawaii. Because of Hawaii gun control, I can't own a firearm there unless I am a resident of Hawaii, the 2A means nothing to them.

I bought two Airforce airguns. .50 LSS and .25 Condor SS. Compressor the whole nine yards of the stuff just to shot pigs with pellets. Loved the speed and power of the guns. .50 is devastating on pigs under 60 yards
with 525 grain hollowpoints.

Those guns brought back memories of my Uncles gun. Picked up the HW35E and HW50S recently. Now I'm a springer fan for life. PCP's are great, but springers are better.

Cheers
Zut

If I want an air rifle the springer (TX200) is what I look to here. So far a PCP doesn't do what my CZ 457 MTR or Bergara BMR will do at 50 to 400 yards. At least as I have experienced it. As $$$ many is close with PCP to 22lr it is really function. When I see the upper end PCP we get to $$$ that a custom built 22lr still does better at it to me.

At 50 yards my TX 200 is killer. It requires more from me to shoot well, but if I do my part. it will do its part I like that as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: crowski