Why do you still shoot springers?

83 years young & I enjoy shooting off the back deck out to 25, 30 yards. My latest groups with my HW95L .22 from a picnic table & bags.

5 at 25 touching.1645557358.jpg

4-5-2021 Best Group 5 shots.1645557389.jpg

Reactions: Bandito
I shoot almost exclusively break-barrel rifles. I have a few co2 guns, but they're more like toys compared to the power and accuracy of my other guns.

Simplicity is primary. Grab the gun/ammo and go. No spending more time getting ready than actually shooting, as one can find with PCPs.

No needing to figure out the power-curve of variable air-pressure. Or need to spend the extra for a regulated tank. No running out of air halfway through the fun.

And the price. An expensive break-barrel is still under $1k. You could easily spend that for just the compressor. Spent more on my carbon-fiber tank than I have for almost any airgun I've ever owned. My "dream PCP" is about $3k. Then add another $3k in supplies to make it work. So that's not likely to ever happen as I'd rather buy 10 break-barrels than one PCP. Probably for less.

#pdxfrank

I like the more 'traditional' wood and blued steel aesthetics. The simplicity of use and ability not to load down myself or my vehicle for a range trip.

Like the more challenging degree of mental focus that must be applied to really shoot them accurately as well. Its a great way to forget about

everyday problems..I find myself really getting into that tight mental bubble and all other things fade from thought.For me its as good as fishing

for a great mental escape. 

Great Question!

1 Airshot said it! Makes one a real marksman.

2. ease of operation noted above

3. longevity ( not a bunch of rubber o-rings)

5. Tuning and adjusting ( builds gun knowledge)

6. Aesthetics (PCP’s are weird looking) noted above

7. dependable (KISS theory)

8. Self contained. noted above

9. Traditional 

10. Heirlooms

I guess I’m a springer guy!

P.S. Have you ever heard the explosion of a empty 2 liter bottle filled with a 100 pounds of air? So, I get nervous resting my head on a bottle filled with 4000 pounds of air. Probably just me.

Geee i could have said all this agree 100% your pointing out about 4000PSI bomb That is why I went back to springers

I like both PCP and Springers. They both have their own enjoyable qualities. 

I enjoy springers due to it taking a little more skill to shoot consistently. I got my first springer HW97K from a local shooter who bought three from the Netherlands. I shot it, and thought "What are all these guys talking about? This isn't so hard"

Well, there is a common phrase with springers. They are either breaking in or breaking down. Competing with one nearly requires a 6th sense, I've had to fully strip rifles 15-20 minutes before a match and inspect/ clean/ relube and rezero before the shooters meeting. They really can keep you on your toes. 

I guess I really just like the challenge of springers as a whole. 

Side note, your lefty TX. 

Is that what you're planning on shooting FT with this season? 

It looks like a UTG T06 drooper rail, an anti slide clamp and Burris Zees, are they signature Z's?

What Sidewheel do you plan on using with the x50? 

You plan on trying to get on the Springer Team one of these years??

Cam

It has something to do with a connection to my youth and when I used to plink with my dad. I still have the .22 cal Benjamin that I bought when I was 13. And before that my first air rifle was a Daisy Red Rider. I tried the PCP route with a 22 cal Marauder but the shooting didn't take much talent and then there was always the pump paraphernalia that was required. I have 2 springers that I shoot regularly now. An HW97 and a Hatsan 125 Mossy Oak Camo, both in .22 cal. I'm looking hard at picking up that TX200. It's a pretty gun and I've got a birthday coming up. Yeah the springers have always had my heart.

jkingrph/funkermunker. Great stories and analogies. My father when marching across Italy in WWII almost stepped on this pocket watch. He sent it home to his mother to keep for him. It never did work. After my father passed in 1976 my mother gave it to me. I tried to get it repaired but nobody could fix it as it had a broken escape wheel. In the 80’s my dad’s brother, my uncle, became a clock and watch repairman and wanted to try and repair it probably for the love he had for his only sibling. He turned a new escape wheel for it and it runs to this day. 
CF3BFD07-A2D7-4F70-9089-0E083D7A3290.1646570139.jpeg
516E9A0F-986E-4033-A586-808D7A4A8AAA.1646570139.jpeg

Others have said it, but I like the challenge of a springer. 

I shoot both springer and PCP. I am convinced that a quality springer is just as accurate as a good PCP. However, it is so much harder to wring the accuracy out of the springer! 

In all honesty, I stink at shooting them - and that gives me a challenge. I have a lot of room to improve... A LOT of room... I can't get much worse, so there's no way to go but up!