Why do you still shoot springers?

Thanks I’ll check it out!

between you and me, for the same $300, i'd get an RWS or HW...

300springers.1643308769.PNG

Nostalgia: my first bb gun was an 1894 Daisy and though my Red Ryder isn't the same it brings back a lot of the feel of burning through my allowance in BBs. 

Simplicity: This is about as basic as it gets. There is no external power supply to deal with. I usually use the factory iron sights on most of my air rifles. 

Cheap: With BBs running about six to a penny and pellets running pretty cheap I can shoot all day for less than a buck. 

Fun: I get a kick out of informal target practice like I have been doing for nearly sixty years. 

Reactions: Bandito
Springers offer a somewhat slower more involved "extended" shooting session requiring more attention to shoot well than PCP's like sipping a fine wine, I get a different kind of shooting satisfaction from springers than from PCP's. I acquired two HW 97's last year, a beech .20 and a blue laminate 12fpe "tuned" Beeman .177, both will group as well as my PCP's. but offer that slower more intimate
0127221612.1643372967.jpg
1126211520.1643372968.jpg
0505211416.1643372969.jpg
 type of shooting session...I did a 10 shot group yesterday with my box stock (did adjust trigger) HW 97 .20 at 29y off my knee first 10 shots, quarter size group after not shooting it for a couple weeks...it can do much better! I like these '97's so much I will be spending more time shooting them going forward.

My motivation is to be the best shot I can be. I know that is only possible with a lot o practice. Springers are the best training tool I know of to help keep me sharp. Pcp in my opinion, does little more than a video game to keep shooting skills fresh. Springers do all I need a pellet gun to do. Just wish they made one that was a copy of a model 70 Winchester or a Remington 700.

I borrowed the picture from another forum and it may well be on AGN too, but if this is what you mean, Crosman used to make a copy of a Model 70 in an air rifle. The one in the picture is owned by fellow member unionrdr.

5466-model70auction.1643374685.jpg

You'll have to wander Fleabay or the other auction sites to try finding one though.

As many others have mentioned, I like springers for their simplicity, just grab the rifle, a tin of pellets and go have fun. I also appreciate the engineering and workmanship that went into them. I have three 300S's and smile every time I pick one up, FWB got this one right.

I don't own a PCP but do own a SSP, a FWB 601 and use it for 10M indoor stuff when I'm not shooting one of the 300's. The 601 is so easy to shoot and accurate it's almost boring.

Sometimes I actually tire of how easy it is to attain accuracy with the new PCPs.

Springers are my first love, there is something relaxing about the whole process of cocking, loading and the hold, then you only have a single shot to accomplish your goal.

They are also engineering marvels.

I simple will always treasure my springers.

I like the ,,,combining connections I make with the rifle and my senses. The weight, the textures of the checkering. Exploring,trying to find out what will make it or me shoot better.How and where it lays in my hand. Do I lay it with my 1st or 2nd callus in the gap on the bottom of the forestock.How it reacts to how firmly I hold it and set it in the pocket of my shoulder. I notice the combination of sounds and tensions of the spring,piston,and piston catch as you cock the thing.The sudden release,sound and jump of the rifle when fired. One can sense any minute change in the usual sounds or the feel of it when you operate it.You may or may not know what changed and it may or may not have made a difference with your POI but you think you may have noticed something? A sense of accomplishment or success when you get that baby dialed in and your nailing the BullsEye AND I'm outside,sitting or stalking on a nice sunny day. Sitting on the patio with a springer and a cold beer. It don't get any better.

I just got in from shooting, fine tuneing the zero on a couple, A Diana AirPro King and a HW 97KT. That Diana is a beast to cock, I have to do it in two strokes, get the lever about half way, then reposition the buttstock on my leg while sitting then heave into it again. About 30 shots with it and probably 20-25 through the HW, a lot easier to cock that underlever. That brings me to another reason for sheooting springers, upper body exercise, I'm tired and a little sore, time for a nap.

I’m an older person at 65yo. I started with BB guns years ago. As a teen I shot pellets and .22 powder guns competitive. We recently moved to a less urban area where I can shoot air guns on my property. I currently own two gas piston rifles. They’re easy to pick up and go shoot. Simplicity of a gun and a tin of pellets. PCP’s are fantastic guns but simplicity is what I like. Also, if you can shoot a springer well, you can shoot any gun. They take skill and practice. 

I like to shoot, I like to take my time, I'm not into rapid fire anymore, I can be slow and deliberate, I hold life memberships at two shooting clubs, one has a covered 100 yd. rifle/handgun range, the other has an indoor handgun range, two 100 yd. outdoor ranges, and one 200 yd. rifle/handgun range.

I have a range in my backyard for air guns, I can shoot up to 40 yds. on my backyard range, I shoot allot in the spring, summer, and fall, most of the time I shoot with my youngest son on his days off, I own about a dozen air gun all totaled, springers, nitro piston, pneumatic, and Co2, my son has some break barrel rifles, a few Co2 pistols, and a PCP rifle, he's had it for going on three years and it's been 100% reliable, super accurate out to 100 yds., it needs some attention and also needs a high pressure air source, he has a hand pump and a new HP air compressor.

I enjoy my low end break barrels and pumpers, they are minute of squirrel accurate for the extent of my outdoor range, don't need any outside support, I enjoy fiddling with the triggers and such to smooth them out and help them shoot more accurately or more smoothly, and they challenge my skills and ability as a shooter, I really don't need 100 yd. accuracy or more power than what I get from my springers, nitro's, or pumpers, I'm not anti PCP, I just like what I have and enjoy the hell out of them.

And that's why I'm still shooting Springers.