Why do you still shoot springers?

It's a mechanical marvel that doesn't have a need for batteries, air, or any other accessory other than some pellets and you. Independence. I liken it to a mechanical (or "automatic" if you will) wrist watch of which I use as well. My watch is a well-engineered conglomeration of moving parts that was fine-tuned (evolved) over decades, and here this little machine sits on my wrist, was affordable, and does a great job of telling time. A springer shares many of the same attributes and both with the added benefits of becoming heirlooms. They'll work for someone (hopefully my great great great grandkids) long after I'm gone, wherever they go, which is kind of cool if you think about it.

I also am into mechanical/automatic watches. I especially like the ones with the display backs. Think of it, they too are "springers"! I still have the mechanical , manual wind, watch my parents bought me back about 1959-60, and have another with a rather history, at least for my wife and I. In the spring of 1974 I was stationed in Izmir, Turkey with the USAF and we took a tour to Israel. We had the chance to swim, or rather wade in the Dead Sea, where my wife felt something on the bottom in the shallows. She reached down and picked up a wristwatch which had the remains of a leather band, mostly decayed off. We took it up, rinsed it off with fresh water, wound it and it started running, No one claimed it so we kept it, and I finally put a new band on it a few years back, and occasionally wear it. It has never been serviced and still keeps good time. It's a rather plain model, stainless case, silver/gold dial, nothing fancy, but rather pristine looking, made by a Swiss company called Eloga. I tried researching and can only find some pictures of older models like mine. They now seem to be in the extremely high end "art deco" styles in gold/platinum and diamonds. and very expensive.

Me too with the watch thing. I have well over 100 watches and almost all are mechanical!!

All of my springer reasons have been listed above. Unfortunately nothing to add here...

Shooting them less now as my PCP herd multiplies, but still love a good session with a well tuned springer. Muscle memory quickly kicks in and off you go. You do have to earn it, and it is rewarding when you get one tuned, cleaned, and holding POI from one session to another. 

I was going to dial in another HW50s for one of the kiddos to shoot, then I realized that would be hogging all the fun. Or maybe I should spare the child from the whole addiction. Tough call. 

Hoping to see more available so I can restore one that I foolishly sold to my collection.

I like them because it brings me back to being a kid. I always had pumpers when I was young but the power was never super high. I first saw a springer when my dad brought home a Chinese sidelever. It ripped through cans like I never saw before. After my crosman 760 was lost he bought me one of my own. I still get the fizz everytime I go out with a springer. Obviously it's simple and all that but mainly it's just the memories it brings back to me when I shoot them. 

I have a FWB300 mini and it is a total pleasure to shoot. There’s something special about all the motions that you go through, the precise sound of the cocking lever, and seating each pellet with your thumb. And at 25 yards it makes one ragged hole, so it’s Zen time and really accurate. I like it so much that I’m getting a HW30s as soon as they are in stock anywhere!

I have a FWB300 mini and it is a total pleasure to shoot. There’s something special about all the motions that you go through, the precise sound of the cocking lever, and seating each pellet with your thumb. And at 25 yards it makes one ragged hole, so it’s Zen time and really accurate. I like it so much that I’m getting a HW30s as soon as they are in stock anywhere!

Bought a 300s back in the mid 80's like the sound and feel of cocking. I used to back before I got old, could light the big kitchen matches shooting across my deck, 25-30 feet, but eyes and nerves are not what they were 40 years ago. Then there is that trigger. Move the shaft fore and aft on a little rail to adjust LOP, tilt it side to side and rotate the trigger shoe on the shaft to make it fit your finger perfectly,

Reactions: Bandito
@ 76 years old 2021 i bought my first springer (hw97k ) shot a bit ,had it tuned , shot more . I love this thing , it is a blast and very accurate. I hope to shoot it for many years so i can say "yeah i still shoot springers ."

My first was a FWB 124 d , purchased in early 1975. I had seen a breakbarrel in a NATO rod and gun club in Izmir, Turkey a couple of years prior, but everyone was cocking and dry firing, so I though it was being handled too roughly and decided not to purchase. I am glad I passed on that one, no idea of how much internal damage, I did not know anything about proper handling of them at that point but just went with gut instinct. I'm also 76, last fall. I had a scope on my 124 for years, then decided to go back to irons, and dug through my parts box and found the old Williams/Beeman receiver sight and the Globe front with interchangeable inserts I had on it previously and reinstalled them. It handles much better with irons than with a scope, so I am happy. Recently I put a Gehmann adjustable iris in the Williams sight and it makes a world of difference.

The 300 mini
In the early 90’s when shooting in an informal airgun league on Thursday nights back in Michigan I started bringing my 9 year old son. He was an immediate hit with the men. About 25-35 people. The league rules were that kids could use the bench. He could cock and handle only one of my air rifles however. Yep you guessed it. My FWB 300 mini with a Leopold 3-9 AO. Needless to say who the champ was year after year. The men enjoyed taking turns leaning/bumping extra hard into the bench when he was up shooting. Then when walking up to pull the targets they would snicker and point out that he missed one. It was the only time there wasn’t a single hole in the center of the 10 ring. Sweet memories.

I tried PCPs a couple times. Found myself working on the junk more than using it.

I'm not interested in fixing the racecar, I just wanna drive it.

So now, besides an occasional co2, break-barrel is all I shoot.

Most like a "real" gun. Grab the gun, ammo and go. KISS

simpleshootingwiththegamomag001.1643299909.jpg

Don't know why folks don't care for them as much, or seem so. Dollar4dollar, they're just as accurate in the right hands as a PCP. Especially over a long string of shots.

Anyway, my 3-cents.

My motivation is to be the best shot I can be. I know that is only possible with a lot o practice. Springers are the best training tool I know of to help keep me sharp. Pcp in my opinion, does little more than a video game to keep shooting skills fresh. Springers do all I need a pellet gun to do. Just wish they made one that was a copy of a model 70 Winchester or a Remington 700.