Why do you still shoot springers?

As so many have already said, something about the sheer elegance of being able to shoot all day, toting nothing but the gun and the projectiles, sank deep into my tiny brain and just stayed there. Which goes all the way back to childhood...I'm old enuff to remember 50 cents a week allowance, and mowing yards for 2 bucks, so I wasn't looking to spend extra money on CO2 cartridges, etc.

I fell in love with the build quality of classic older wood-and-steel models too, and as an architect I appreciate that they just LOOK good...the design thought and craftsmanship that went into so many details of style, handling, and function is remarkable. When I get too old and puny to shoot, heck I can still leave 'em sitting around just to look at!

IMG_1783.jpeg

Walther LGV Olympia, optional adjustable buttplate and steel diopter

IMG_2069.jpeg

Weihrauch HW 35E, 22-inch Euro barrel and 1950's HW diopter

IMG_4515.jpeg

Webley Mk 3's + Parker-Hale sights

Last edited:
What strikes me the most about the design of these guns harkens back to the time of their inception. It was a time when tools , machinery and implements of everyday necessity were constructed out of the best quality materials with the mindset of it giving the consumer many years of service. That business model has long since left the drawing board.

As so many have already said, something about the sheer elegance of being able to shoot all day, toting nothing but the gun and the projectiles, sank deep into my tiny brain and just stayed there. Which goes all the way back to childhood...I'm old enuff to remember 50 cents a week allowance, and mowing yards for 2 bucks, so I wasn't looking to spend extra money on CO2 cartridges, etc.

I fell in love with the build quality of classic older wood-and-steel models too, and as an architect I appreciate that they just LOOK good...the design thought and craftsmanship that went into so many details of style, handling, and function is remarkable. When I get too old and puny to shoot, heck I can still leave 'em sitting around just to look at!

View attachment 458979

View attachment 458983

View attachment 458981
Beautiful machines, for shooters who enjoy the finer things in life.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"

Springers (probably) outsell all other powerplants still by a wide margin. The industry loves pushing PCPs since they will always require lots more spare parts, and they are superior to springers in most ways. But perfect things are less beautiful that that which is genuine. Springers are truth – PCPs are demons from the dark side!

Last edited:
Reactions: sekiar