Why do you still shoot springers?

Hey AGN,

I've always been a springer guy - first "good" one was a Beeman R10 in .20 (that has paid for itself 10x over with all the winnings it has earned me), then a BSA Supersport, lefty TX200 tuned at 12 fpe, and very recently an AA Pro Elite in .22, I love springers. Side note - the Pro Elite is just a phenomenal rifle. Gonna do a thread on it soon.

But, it seems like a lot of shooters don't. It seems that shooters at a lot of the big competitions think that they're sort of a novelty that has lost its place. Springers don't really get any attention.

For this thread, I'm not interested in discussing why this is the case...at all. It seems that the topic "why are there no new springers coming out?" has been beaten to death on the forums.

What I AM interested in, is WHY y'all still shoot springers. What are some of the advantages they have over PCP's? Is it convenience? No fill source needed? Low-cost of entry compared to PCP's? Higher quality per dollar (i.e. you can get a TX200 for $800 o HW97 for ~$650 and similarly priced PCP's don't have the same heirloom quality)? What else?

I'm trying to compile a sort of "master-list" for when I talk to new shooters.

I'd appreciate any responses from the springer shooters that here.

Best,

Nico

P.S. - here's my BEAUTIFUL Lefty Walnut TX200 with a Falcon X50 on top :)

View attachment 194607
Hey AGN,

I've always been a springer guy - first "good" one was a Beeman R10 in .20 (that has paid for itself 10x over with all the winnings it has earned me), then a BSA Supersport, lefty TX200 tuned at 12 fpe, and very recently an AA Pro Elite in .22, I love springers. Side note - the Pro Elite is just a phenomenal rifle. Gonna do a thread on it soon.

But, it seems like a lot of shooters don't. It seems that shooters at a lot of the big competitions think that they're sort of a novelty that has lost its place. Springers don't really get any attention.

For this thread, I'm not interested in discussing why this is the case...at all. It seems that the topic "why are there no new springers coming out?" has been beaten to death on the forums.

What I AM interested in, is WHY y'all still shoot springers. What are some of the advantages they have over PCP's? Is it convenience? No fill source needed? Low-cost of entry compared to PCP's? Higher quality per dollar (i.e. you can get a TX200 for $800 o HW97 for ~$650 and similarly priced PCP's don't have the same heirloom quality)? What else?

I'm trying to compile a sort of "master-list" for when I talk to new shooters.

I'd appreciate any responses from the springer shooters that here.

Best,

Nico

P.S. - here's my BEAUTIFUL Lefty Walnut TX200 with a Falcon X50 on top :)

View attachment 194607
I have a couple of springers, but basically, I don't like the type at all; don't care much for air-piston break-barrels either, when it comes right down to it. To me, any airgun that bounces around enough to throw off my aim (or can knock scopes out of whack) and KICKS when I pull the trigger... it's just more than I want to deal with when I'm shooting. All that motion is just so ... unnatural for me: NOTHING like the expected recoil that comes with shooting a powerful firearm rifle or a twelve gauge shotgun. Please realize, that's just how -I- feel about the type, and hey, what do I know? My favorite type of airgun is a variable pumper. ;-) Seriously though, no disrespect intended for those that love one or both types, not in any way -- they certainly have the power, when that's what is needed, and there ARE many exceptional, very accurate models by which lots of accomplished shooters swear! I just haven't had enough experience with any of the better models to develop positive feelings about them. So... springers? Nossir, I don't like 'em. :)

Reactions: Simplemann
I have a couple of springers, but basically, I don't like the type at all; don't care much for air-piston break-barrels either, when it comes right down to it. To me, any airgun that bounces around enough to throw off my aim (or can knock scopes out of whack) and KICKS when I pull the trigger... it's just more than I want to deal with when I'm shooting. All that motion is just so ... unnatural for me: NOTHING like the expected recoil that comes with shooting a powerful firearm rifle or a twelve gauge shotgun. Please realize, that's just how -I- feel about the type, and hey, what do I know? My favorite type of airgun is a variable pumper. ;-) Seriously though, no disrespect intended for those that love one or both types, not in any way -- they certainly have the power, when that's what is needed, and there ARE many exceptional, very accurate models by which lots of accomplished shooters swear! I just haven't had enough experience with any of the better models to develop positive feelings about them. So... springers? Nossir, I don't like 'em. :)
I think I know what you mean:) I always tune down my springers and shoot light pellets out of my high end PCP’s… it’s not what they’re intended for perhaps but I really enjoy shooting a quiet and calm rifle:) it won’t kill a woodpigeon at 90yrds but I will enjoy shooting for an entire afternoon! This being said, I think you should definitely try a weihrauch hw30s or Beeman R7 as they’re called in some places in the world. It’s the least powerful breakbarrel in the Weihrauch line up, it’s light, easy to cock and every bit as accurate as other more expensive rifles:) you can easily put a tuning kit in which will further enhance the experience but it’s really snappy and enjoyable as is from the factory. I agree that the more powerful ones are often too kicky and loud. I cut 5 coils off my hw50s for example to calm it down:)

I think I know what you mean:) I always tune down my springers and shoot light pellets out of my high end PCP’s… it’s not what they’re intended for perhaps but I really enjoy shooting a quiet and calm rifle:) it won’t kill a woodpigeon at 90yrds but I will enjoy shooting for an entire afternoon! This being said, I think you should definitely try a weihrauch hw30s or Beeman R7 as they’re called in some places in the world. It’s the least powerful breakbarrel in the Weihrauch line up, it’s light, easy to cock and every bit as accurate as other more expensive rifles:) you can easily put a tuning kit in which will further enhance the experience but it’s really snappy and enjoyable as is from the factory. I agree that the more powerful ones are often too kicky and loud. I cut 5 coils off my hw50s for example to calm it down:)
Thanks! Those worthies from Weirauch and Beeman have excellent reputations and I'd love to shoot both to see how they really perform. The HW30 in particular seems like it might be right up my alley, but I'm unsure if it is even still available, new at least. The R7 certainly is, and it has its own great rep, but I'd be hesitant to pull the trigger (sorry) on a purchase of that expense, without a test drive first: as with the Weirauch, you very probably get what you pay for, but they'd have to be exceptional for me to plunk down that much on what for me probably would be just another thirty foot target shooter. My wife gifted me a Norica Omnia ZRS for my most recent birthday, knowing of my aversion to typical breakers, and the floating barrel truly makes for a no-recoil experience, so it's pretty incredible. For hunting and long range shooting, I'd say it's definitely worth the larger cost ($400.00, as is the R7), but I almost never pick it up for my target shooting because of the incredible power. I just redesigned my shooting trap to use rubber mulch instead of the 30 or 40 sheets of cardboard with which I used to stuff it, so it probably would take the hit without trouble now (I need to try it and see what happens), but I got out of the habit of shooting it after some of my sighting-in and early shots went all the way through the targets, the cardboard stuffing, the back of the trap, the junk behind it supposedly doing duty as a backstop and the drywall! At least the pellets stopped before they holed the outer wall and sheathing. :) Still, I haven't much wanted to use it because it is so much more power than I need. I like having it for the rare instance I might need to take out a rat or something (we enjoy and feed most of the other critters around our townhouse), but I have pumpers and CO2 rifles that can do that, and they cost far less (even my Umarex 850M2 Magnum).

If I still could get out and about to do some serious plinking and at least pretend to be hunting, I'd almost certainly be more enthusiastic about break barrels, but with the few less expensive (and not very impressive) springers and gas-pistons I have, as well as my fancy new ZRS, I have more than enough firepower to take care of the rare pest that has the temerity to show itself around here. ;-) My limited mobility (I'm practically no longer ambulatory, unfortunately) drastically interferes with my getting out somewhere I'd be able to try the better rifles, which might help considerably, but again, it's a pretty big problem. For my situation now, particularly since my wife recently retired, break barrel airguns, even the better models, might be impractical enough that I can't really justify their cost. That old saw about a rock and a hard place seems like it might be appropriate here, but hey, nobody said decisions were supposed to be easy. :) Thanks for the suggestions though! I really would very much like to try both of those rifles to see what all the hullaballoo is. Someday maybe... :)

Thanks! Those worthies from Weirauch and Beeman have excellent reputations and I'd love to shoot both to see how they really perform. The HW30 in particular seems like it might be right up my alley, but I'm unsure if it is even still available, new at least. The R7 certainly is, and it has its own great rep, but I'd be hesitant to pull the trigger (sorry) on a purchase of that expense, without a test drive first: as with the Weirauch, you very probably get what you pay for, but they'd have to be exceptional for me to plunk down that much on what for me probably would be just another thirty foot target shooter. My wife gifted me a Norica Omnia ZRS for my most recent birthday, knowing of my aversion to typical breakers, and the floating barrel truly makes for a no-recoil experience, so it's pretty incredible. For hunting and long range shooting, I'd say it's definitely worth the larger cost ($400.00, as is the R7), but I almost never pick it up for my target shooting because of the incredible power. I just redesigned my shooting trap to use rubber mulch instead of the 30 or 40 sheets of cardboard with which I used to stuff it, so it probably would take the hit without trouble now (I need to try it and see what happens), but I got out of the habit of shooting it after some of my sighting-in and early shots went all the way through the targets, the cardboard stuffing, the back of the trap, the junk behind it supposedly doing duty as a backstop and the drywall! At least the pellets stopped before they holed the outer wall and sheathing. :) Still, I haven't much wanted to use it because it is so much more power than I need. I like having it for the rare instance I might need to take out a rat or something (we enjoy and feed most of the other critters around our townhouse), but I have pumpers and CO2 rifles that can do that, and they cost far less (even my Umarex 850M2 Magnum).

If I still could get out and about to do some serious plinking and at least pretend to be hunting, I'd almost certainly be more enthusiastic about break barrels, but with the few less expensive (and not very impressive) springers and gas-pistons I have, as well as my fancy new ZRS, I have more than enough firepower to take care of the rare pest that has the temerity to show itself around here. ;-) My limited mobility (I'm practically no longer ambulatory, unfortunately) drastically interferes with my getting out somewhere I'd be able to try the better rifles, which might help considerably, but again, it's a pretty big problem. For my situation now, particularly since my wife recently retired, break barrel airguns, even the better models, might be impractical enough that I can't really justify their cost. That old saw about a rock and a hard place seems like it might be appropriate here, but hey, nobody said decisions were supposed to be easy. :) Thanks for the suggestions though! I really would very much like to try both of those rifles to see what all the hullaballoo is. Someday maybe... :)
YES it is available , for little cash , even has a nickel plated one if you like shiney .

Reactions: Trunion
It's a personal choice, where I would not criticise PCP users and know the results that can be achieved, but for me at least , I prefer the self reliance, no bottles, hassle of going to refill centres, or use of separate pumps. Power curves....never been able to figure out the optimism range, or could not be bothered to more likely, or just plain forgetting where I was in the range.
Also, a knowledge of tuning the springer, using reliable components and absolute minimum lubes.
After which I could not spit on the difference, but it plays a big part in getting a springer close to PCP.

However, I left the biggest reason to last.
For me, I just hate silencers. An essential requirement with PCP sonic report. Just such an ugly contraption to have stuck on the end of a rifle.

Reactions: JEFFPPC