Why do you choose air rifle over rimfire?

For the small game hunting that I do, an airgun will accomplish everything a 22lr could but much more quietly. And for plinking, although it is much cheaper to shoot pellets, you'll still need to factor in a fill source which inflates the costs. It would be a larger upfront cost for everything, but it's worth it if you shoot alot.

For PB's, the ammo you shoot could easily cost many times more than the gun over time. Whereas for decent airguns, most will never shoot more money in pellets than the airgun is worth.

Reactions: Cody01
For PB's, the ammo you shoot could easily cost many times more than the gun over time. Whereas for decent airguns, most will never shoot more money in pellets than the airgun is worth.
Hold my beer... Possibly I'm not most air gunners. My Beeman R9 is considered a top tier springer, paid $500 for it. In four months of owning it I've shot around 1,500 pellets through it. Mix of cheap Crosmans, H&N's, and JSB's. Probably $100 worth of pellets in four months. Pellets equals gun cost in 16 months at this rate.

Last edited:
I live in a semirural area, I can shoot in my backyard but still have to be careful when shooting upwards angles to not put bullets onto neighbors. Airguns are much safer for the squirrel hunting that I do. Being able to take a shot at any angle plus near silent shooting is a bonus too for squirrels. Not a necessary thing but something that I enjoy much.

Cost is also a factor. 4,000 18 grain JSBs don't cost that much compared to equivalent amount of quality .22 rimfire ammo ammo and take up very little space.

Keep in mind that I'm not the kind to be going nutz and buying dozens of air rifles. OR powderburners. If one has plenty of spending money and enjoys this sport/hobby, more power to them.

Cost is also a factor. 4,000 18 grain JSBs don't cost that much compared to equivalent amount of quality .22 rimfire ammo ammo and take up very little space.
Important caveat you included there. Depends on what you define quality rimfire as. For me CCI standard velocity is the most best stuff I can readily get and it is quite accurate, so for me, that's quality ammo at about 10 cents a pop. You can find bulk 22LR in the same price range per pop as the JSB's. Regards

Important caveat you included there. Depends on what you define quality rimfire as. For me CCI standard velocity is the most best stuff I can readily get and it is quite accurate, so for me, that's quality ammo at about 10 cents a pop. You can find bulk 22LR in the same price range per pop as the JSB's. Regards
spot on, and the CCl 1070 is also pretty quiet

Reactions: mike_k10
You should maybe look at some other airguns. My impression is the FX guns are really designed for the tinkerer.
This is not necessarily true. I believe this is truly based on the individual user. Yes, some people like to tinker. But in my experience, the only tinkering I did was to find the right pellet/slug. Once that was accomplished, I had the perfect Ron Popeil airgun. Just set it and forget it.

Frankly, I wouldn't have an air gun if there wasn't a dog afraid of the sound of a gun on the property I hunt ground squirrels, I absolutely LOVE my Savage A17. If the Mrs. ever figured out how much I've spent I'll have died peacefully in my sleep with a pillow over my face.

Q: Why AG instead of firearms...?

➔ A: Well, in my neck of the woods applying for a firearms license (.22 rifle, not a machine gun or a conceiled carry pistol) has cost me more money than the actual firearm.

And I still don't have the license.
Nor the gun I paid for (It remains locked up in a government vault.)

That's when I started in AG. 👍🏼 And never looked back.

🔸 So, ya'll be thankful to the Second Amendment, OK? The rest of the world is by far not as fortunate!!

Matthias

Last edited:
I am after something higher quality
but not ready for dropping $2,500 yet.

Oh Cody! 😮

You needn't worry!

You're not ready for dropping $2,500 on an AG?

Don't worry about it.
You will be. Trust me. You will be.

Greetings from the bottom of the AG HOLE.
One day we will meet down here.
Trust me.

Matthias 😉

Reactions: Deleted 45061
Q: Why AG instead of firearms...?

➔ A: Well, in my neck of the woods applying for a firearms license (.22 rifle, not a machine gun or a conceiled carry pistol) has cost me more money than the actual firearm.

And I still don't have the license.
Or the gun.

That's when I started in AG. 👍🏼 And never looked back.

🔸 So, ya'll be thankful to the Second Amendment, OK? The rest of the world is by far not as fortunate!!

Matthias
Any AG power or caliber restrictions in Peru?

Any AG power or caliber restrictions in Peru?

William,

thankfully, no AG power restrictions in Peru yet...!
Unlike our poor brethren in most European countries.... 😖

That's why I'm toying with the idea of a .30cal Prophet while the freedom is still there.... 😄

Matthias