• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Why do you choose air rifle over rimfire?

Firearm uses an explosive to propel the projectile, Airgun uses compressed gas.

The GCA 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(3) defines the term “firearm” as:
(A) any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may readily
be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive;
(B) the frame or receiver of any such weapon;
(C) any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or
(D) any destructive device. Such term does not include an antique firearm.

Congress would have to change the law for airguns to be regulated as firearms. Unlikely to happen in the foreseeable future. Regards
Airguns are regulated in many States already. Eventually the argument might be made that HP PCP Airguns are a close enough substitute and thus require more stringent regulation. Would the right to bear arms apply to Airguns if they are not classified as firearms?

Airguns are regulated in many States already. Eventually the argument might be made that HP PCP Airguns are a close enough substitute and thus require more stringent regulation. Would the right to bear arms apply to Airguns if they are not classified as firearms?
That is a potentially very sticky issue, and as with many constitutional law issues, subject to debate and interpretation. Would you chose air gun inclusion under second amendment protection, at the price of also including them under federal firearms regulation? I think that question is best left alone.

Reactions: mike_k10
Does anyone have a sense for how the economics of the airgun industry is influenced by the definition of "firearm" in US federal law, the one badger5th cites?

i.e. the fact that airguns aren't "firearms" technically, presumably this contributes to the popularity of airguns, be it people who can't (for legal reasons) or others who simply don't want to own a "firearm". Does anyone have a sense for how much the airgun market in the States is impacted by these considerations?

In Canada airguns are firearms. I suspect that contributes to their lack of popularity, in that one has to go through all the hoops and legal hurdles of owning a firearm, so why not just get a powderburner? This does not apply to all people -- for example, me -- but I imagine that sweeps up most people.

Why ... QUIET, Low Recoil, generally a Far better Trigger than most RF's, low ricochet potential are among the top attributes.
Will they replace a .22RF or .17HMR ... not even close, tho with the low noise the Spook factor is so greatly reduced that getting closer and able to stay closer is a hunters dream in many situations.
I'm going to sort of agree, 17hmr's do not ricochet, they just vaporize, but they are LOUD. My Maverick .25 is a bunch quieter but they do ricochet, I hear them go off on all sorts of angles when attempting to hit those pesky ground squirrels. I've yet to get my Mavericks down to a spook level for sound, I'd love a 20db drop but....not sure it'll ever happen and I don't want to spend a zillion more dollars heading down that off shoot of the rabbit hole.

I’ll chime in here. For me there’s something very appealing about the fact that each gun has a great deal of adjustability, and can be adapted to different circumstances (like indoor shooting in your garage one day, and outdoors the next). They are like little projectile laboratories, especially when used with a chronograph. The fact that higher energy levels like those of rimfires are optional is also very appealing to me. To be able to shoot and tinker with reasonable power and considerably more safety than firearms makes these a perfect adult toy for me.

I’ll chime in here. For me there’s something very appealing about the fact that each gun has a great deal of adjustability, and can be adapted to different circumstances (like indoor shooting in your garage one day, and outdoors the next). They are like little projectile laboratories, especially when used with a chronograph. The fact that higher energy levels like those of rimfires are optional is also very appealing to me. To be able to shoot and tinker with reasonable power and considerably more safety than firearms makes these a perfect adult toy for me.
I don't have an instrument to measure it. I have 6 or 7 of them, and I can tell you that they take the bark out of every airgun I have them on.
Cell phone? The reason I ask is the ones I have are just a few DB less and they do reduce the bark, of course they cost a H of a lot more.

Yes they would. SCOTUS decision Caetano vs. Massachusetts

Established that the 2nd amendment applies to all personal arms not just firearms. It was the court decision that made stun guns legal to own in Mass. Regards

I Have been using my air rifles for prairie dogs the past two years instead of my powder burners (.223's, 6mm br's, etc.). On my last trip I was able to sit in one spot all day and shoot out to 400 yards successfully. The noise level is very very low and does not send every dog in a 200 yard radius down the hole on the first shot like a PB. I quit using my PB's all together because the air rifles are so quiet and pleasant to shoot. The only downside is the wind effect is much more challenging with the air rifles, but it has made me a better shooter and ads an additional challenge to the hunt.

Reactions: Cody01 and shausen
Yeah I saw that one. I guess I'm going to have to get one and play with it. To date with people walking 25' away from where i'm shooting not one has said "What's THAT??" Just don't want a visit from the local LEO'S.
I'm in a rural area without any close neighbors, so absolute silence isn't a necessity. I still like quiet though.

Reactions: qball